Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just sat down to play my Xbox 360. It was on for about 2 minutes and it locked up. Screen was filled with artifacts. I restarted the system. Got a grey screen then I got 3 red lights. RROD right? Tried to restart again. Artifacts on the dashboard, locked up.

This Xbox is from 2006 so it's not new by any means. What are my options here? Sucks because I never played this thing longer than 2hrs at a time. Guess heat isn't the only cause eh?

·
Registered
862 Posts
its usually something wrong with the power supply...

Move it somewhere so it can release heat...IE open air..

dont plug it into a cheap surge protector...either go directly into the wall socket or a very high quality surge protector...

other than that...its time to send it into microsoft for repairs if you wish to play haha.

1-800-4MYXBOX is the number and I'm pretty sure they send you out a shipping label that you can trade for a real one...usually take 2-3 weeks total.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sounds to me like you overheated it. If you don't have a warranty on it currently, then try seeing if there's a way to refresh CMOS. Could be a data corruption in there if it's not caused by heat...

Ummm, if you modded anything on it, you could have had a sloppy solder job increasing voltage somewhere (take your pic on how/where/what, many possibilities).

Try unplugging it for 5min, plugging it back in (talking wall socket here), then starting it up. Could be some randomness happening...

If that doesn't fix it, seems to me like you're outta luck. If no warranty, don't be afraid to pry it open, check to see if there's a crapload of dust blocking something somewhere, and cleaning that up...

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys +rep for the help

I called Microsoft and they are sending me the prepaid box. Guess I'm out of an xbox for 3 weeks

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps this is a stupid question. But...

Do they just repair my xbox or do they send a refurb? What should I expect?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by keith27 View Post
Thanks guys +rep for the help

I called Microsoft and they are sending me the prepaid box. Guess I'm out of an xbox for 3 weeks

but hey thats why you bought a computer

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battlefield Bad Company isn't on the PC.

Have to get my fix via Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2....

Not the same

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My xbox is on it's way to the Ontario Depot.

Hopefully this will be a short wait.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by keith27
View Post

Hey guys,

Just sat down to play my Xbox 360. It was on for about 2 minutes and it locked up. Screen was filled with artifacts. I restarted the system. Got a grey screen then I got 3 red lights. RROD right? Tried to restart again. Artifacts on the dashboard, locked up.

This Xbox is from 2006 so it's not new by any means. What are my options here? Sucks because I never played this thing longer than 2hrs at a time. Guess heat isn't the only cause eh?

Heat caused issue.
Heat heats the solder joints, they cool down, keep repeating that cycle and you'll have one or multiple failed solder joints.
Send it to M$, they repair the RROD free of charge.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow way to join late. It's already on it's way to Ontario.

·
OG
1,611 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Perhaps this is a stupid question. But...

Do they just repair my xbox or do they send a refurb? What should I expect?

It will be a refurb, or a new one if you are super duper lucky

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Or I could pay nothing and have it fixed. /// What are my options here?

Your welcome for another option as you had requested in the OP. Have a splendid day.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Est.1885
View Post

Your welcome for another option as you had requested in the OP. Have a splendid day.

Could have should haves....

What's the point of posting if by the time you posted my refurb is in the mail?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts