Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The case 51, quite frankly is a steaming turd. It has very VERY sharp metal edges which cut like a paper chainsaw and it has little to no airflow. This here will be some photos of my painting and modification (not that's there's a whole lot to see) of this "case".

I removed the HDD cages first, seeing as there were way too many for me to use I thought I'd save some space. The case will be situated sideways, with the motherboard flipped (as seen in many silverstone cases)

As poorly drawn as the arrow is, its just showing the outline of where the case will be cut to allow for 3 120mm fans to go, allowing this airtight case to breathe a bit (especially by the GPU)

I was able to snag 4 case feet off of an old case of mine, the Cooler Master Storm Trooper. The case was just collecting dust, so I thought it might make itself useful for once.

The case 51 needed some serious eyecandy to make it worth looking at, so I decided we were going to need to paint it some other color than black. I started masking the side panels so they could be painted. The original color was supposed to be a metallic bronze, but I decided on bright white in the end.

This here is an interesting trick I learned over painting just about anything over the years. If you want some quick font done, for words or anything, go to your local office supply store and find yourself some vinyl letters. You can either use them as masking for the paint or as the actual letters that will stay on the case. Either way, they are a cheap and easy alternative to printing out templates on masking or paying a paint shop, even though the paint shop will probably do 200% of a better job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sharp edges on metal will either be removed or sanded down. I think the edge that is the sharpest is the one around the motherboard IO area, which is troublesome when you put an IO shield in and you find you have cut your hand. I didn't think many people had heard of this case, seeing as its one of those you can buy on newegg for $50 with a 480w power supply. I used it in my first system because of its price.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubaTroopa View Post

The sharp edges on metal will either be removed or sanded down. I think the edge that is the sharpest is the one around the motherboard IO area, which is troublesome when you put an IO shield in and you find you have cut your hand. I didn't think many people had heard of this case, seeing as its one of those you can buy on newegg for $50 with a 480w power supply. I used it in my first system because of its price.
True, i think a lot of us started out with one of those no-name cases with a psu haha
tongue.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts