Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of advice.

I love what these do to my tubes in my case. But there's some serious problems I have with them.

The included blue box is annoying and unreliable. I have had TWO of them break on me so far. It seems the cathodes themselves are high quality but the converter box or whatever it is is just a piece of crap. I simply want to plug my cathodes into something and skip the box altogether. All they do is take up space and fail on me.

How can I get these cathodes working without the boxes and junk? I tried plugging one into a 3 pin fan plug on my mobo, and as expected that didn't work.

Isn't there some kind of small adapter cable I can use between the cathode and the psu?

·
Dream Chaser
3,766 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sorry, but theres no way youll get around the little box. Its called an inverter, and without that, your cold cathode tubes cannot run. heres the wikipedia article for you.
You could build your own with the provided scematics. Either way, google will help you out more, if you are looking to buy a different inverter.

also:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfizz84
View Post

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10...er_Switch.html

These are alright. Frozencpu.com has a bunch of cold cathode accessories including ones that have lil LED's in the switch itself.

you still need an inverter "box" with that cable

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
AC Ryan makes cathodes, you could give those a try. I think Performance-PCs sells them but they're usually sold out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it out!

Bought one of these.

Now I can run all 4 of my cathodes off 1 box! I almost got the 8 slot version but seriously who needs more than 4 cathodes? lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts