Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum but I want some good suggestions on which mice I should upgrade from the Logitech Optical M-B196A. One of the most comfortable mice I've ever had and lasted well over +5 years now.

CM Storm Spawn offers 1 year warranty and the Logitech G400 offers a 3 year warranty.

Which mice offers better reliability and would last longer in terms of without the need to replace it?

·
Registered
465 Posts
CM Spawn is a good performing mouse but the shape isn't for everyone. It has on-board memory so that you can store a profile and take it with you without the need for drivers. Warranty may be hit or miss but I'm going on what others on this forum experienced as I have not needed to go through warranty for any of my CM Storm stuff. I consider the Spawn to be well built but so far it's heading into "Discontinued" territory so it may be harder to find.

The G400 performs very well and is considered ergonomic but some people may not be comfortable with it. It lacks any on-board memory so in order for your settings to be active you need to have LGS running in the background. Without it the dpi levels go to default and you'll have to cycle through the standard settings. There are some complaints about the thin cable breaking or being too stiff so that's something to look out for. Logitech is great when it comes to warranty.

Both can be found pretty cheap nowadays and another good option seems to be the Roccat Savu and it can be found for not much more than the other two mice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use finger tip a lot more than claw/palm. My palm is always rested on the mouse mat at all times. I am not sure if the roccat savu is for finger tip or not.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have both. I use a fingertip grip and both mice are fine. However, I will say that the Spawn has had all of its red paint wear off in a matter of 3-4 months. That's never been a problem with any other mouse. However, it would probably be more comfortable to those with small hands. One other thing about the spawn: it is very picky with surfaces. I would not recommend it unless you have a black mousepad.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by booo View Post

I have a black surface $1 mousepad that I use.
smile.gif
The CM Spawn can be used on a lot more surfaces now that firmware v.61 is floating around. Since you have a black pad anyhow it would perform nicely and I fingertip the mouse rather than claw it and despite having it for a year have had no paint wear off on my original version. Since the Savu seems to be a little bigger I should see why you can't do the same.

If you are in the US the Savu can be had for $50 at Microcenter (online or in store) while the Spawn can be found for as low as $35 (J&R). The G400 can be found for $30 - 40 either on Newegg or Best Buy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah

I am not certainly sure which I should go for. Right now, I'm using the Logitech G400 which is still returnable until its been past 30 days ( my decision has been made ).

I head that the Logitech G400 usb/ or the thin cord is not very good and the mouse won't last long?

I don't really touch the cord at all, I just leave it as is and plug it in on my gaming laptop. I don't own a desktop.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The G400 is a large palm grip mouse. If you are comfortably finger tip gripping it the storm spawn and mice it's size may be too small for you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
People have been complaining about how stiff and fragile the cord is on the G400. Apparently it fails when the mouse is being used normally and not even being moved off the desk for transporting. I won't be finding out myself as I returned my G400 for the Deathadder 2013 and will be keeping a close eye on it for any mechanical failings. At least the G400 is one of the lowest priced mice on the market and Logitech has really good support.

The CM Spawn has a thick cord but it can be a little stiff and may get in the way of moving the mouse but i haven't personally run into this problem but will admit it is on the thick side and somewhat stiff. Over time it loosened up a bit. The Spawn is being phased out though and there were some reports of people having a hard time getting through to CSRs from CM. Haven't had to find out myself thankfully.

There are threads on the Savu, Spawn and G400 if you want to do some extensive reading.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking of buying the ROCCAT Savu but its way above my price range. Even though I got $20 credit on amazon, its still expensive as hell.

I might keep the G400 and continue to finger tip grip the mouse. I hope this mouse will last until the warranty ends ( 3 yrs + 1 yr on my amex)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:

I was thinking of buying the ROCCAT Savu but its way above my price range. Even though I got $20 credit on amazon, its still expensive as hell.

I might keep the G400 and continue to finger tip grip the mouse. I hope this mouse will last until the warranty ends ( 3 yrs + 1 yr on my amex)
It's a Logitech, I'm sure it'll hold up. Even if the cord does fail Logitech is good about RMA's. I still have a working MX-500 (10 yrs old) and MX-518 (6 yrs old) both of which saw heavy use and abuse with no issues. Granted those have good cords but the main buttons and sensors work great. MW3 was bad enough to get me to beat the MX-518 senseless... (my last COD game ever)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:

This is a tough choice to decide, g400 or the roccat savu..
Well, you already have the G400...

How much did you get the G400 for? The Savu is $60 on Amazon and you said you have a $20 credit so that would make the mouse $40 before taxes and shipping. Of course if you have to pay to ship the G400 back then that's another story.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega215d View Post

Well, you already have the G400...

How much did you get the G400 for? The Savu is $60 on Amazon and you said you have a $20 credit so that would make the mouse $40 before taxes and shipping. Of course if you have to pay to ship the G400 back then that's another story.
I paid $20 for the G400, and I still have about $10 credit on amazon.

Not sure if I want to drive about 4 miles total round trip to return a G400 lol. I find it pretty easy to get a free return shipping on amazon by just saying your unit was defective. I bought a G9x and found that the weights the (4) 7g weights didn't weigh 28g.

I bought my G400 from bestbuy and got it price matched on amazon. It was a round $30.00 on amazon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing is wrong with it , I might be worried about the Logitech G-400 thin cable that people are having a problem with.

I still have until next month to decide whether I want it or not. I might get the Savu, but I don't know how reliable the mice is and if the build quality is better than the 400.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:

Nothing is wrong with it , I might be worried about the Logitech G-400 thin cable that people are having a problem with.

I still have until next month to decide whether I want it or not. I might get the Savu, but I don't know how reliable the mice is and if the build quality is better than the 400.
To be honest despite growing reports of cable breakage it should still be fine, if anything Logitech is great at handling RMAs (for the most part). The G400 is known to track well on almost anything.

Only get the Savu if you find the mouse fits you better, need the on-board memory for saving settings, need the lighting features, and some other things that are considered subjective.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have both Spawn and G400. I use mostly G400, it's overall a better mouse for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about a mouse for RTS gaming?

I like side buttons but I find that its hard to use the forward/backward side buttons on the g400 because I finger tip grip.. any other recommendations

What mouse allows me to finger tip or possibly claw, and comfortably allows me to use the side buttons ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts