Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a mouse pad to replace my SteelSeries QcK and I'm eyeing those two. I've been a cloth type user for a long time and would like to try hard surface mats. Which one is better for the money and has the smoothest slippery glide?

Thanks.

Btw I can get the G440 for $23 and the Manticor for $33-44.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have a Manticor and actually enjoy it quite a bit. I don't have a G440, but I do have a SS 4HD lying around which is a very similar plastic surface. The G440 is much more slippery than the Macticor (fun fact: the G440 directly inspired the original coining of "clown cursor"). An aluminum pad like the Manticor has a different feel overall, kind of hard to explain but it's unique in it's own right. It offers a decent mix of glide and control imo (assuming you have good mouse feet). If you've never experimented with hard mats in general I'd highly recommend trying both and returning the one you don't like (or maybe you'll end up liking them both).

• Rep+
Reactions: croy

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Maximillion. So the Manticor is not slippery as the G440? Would you recommend slippery mat like the G440 for FPS and RTS games?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by croy View Post

Thanks for your reply Maximillion. So the Manticor is not slippery as the G440? Would you recommend slippery mat like the G440 for FPS and RTS games?
It is almost certain the g440 will not last longer than 6 months if you game regularly. Terrible durability of surface, feels great when you first use it tho.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Quote:

It really depends on your play-style and general preference. Plastic mats aren't for everybody and neither are aluminum. That's why I recommended trying both since you're only used to cloth. Hard mats, generally speaking, have more glide than your typical cloth pad. So if low resistance is what you're looking for you'll find it with either one. It just boils down to how much you want.

• Rep+
Reactions: croy

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitone View Post

It is almost certain the g440 will not last longer than 6 months if you game regularly. Terrible durability of surface, feels great when you first use it tho.
Really? So should I go for the Manticor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion View Post

It really depends on your play-style and general preference. Plastic mats aren't for everybody and neither are aluminum. That's why I recommended trying both since you're only used to cloth. Hard mats, generally speaking, have more glide than your typical cloth pad. So if low resistance is what you're looking for you'll find it with either one. It just boils down to how much you want.
I see. I'm currently using just my desk right now (cleaned my QcK and still drying it) and my desk have this smooth surface and I kinda liked how my mouse glide now. Do you think those two mouse pads will give me the same glide?

I don't know how to describe the texture of my desk but its slippery smooth. Let me upload a picture.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yeah, probably. The Manticor is completely smooth while the G440 has a bit of texture to it, if that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:

Really? So should I go for the Manticor?
He's wrong in my opinion. I've had the G440 for around a year and 3 months. And I game many hours everyday. Still looks and feels like new to me. Just don't put other things on top of it and it should last a long time. In general, the mouse pad feels amazing to me, but the only other mouse pads I have used are cloth ones. I also can't tell you how it compares to the Manticor.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones96 View Post

He's wrong in my opinion. I've had the G440 for around a year and 3 months. And I game many hours everyday. Still looks and feels like new to me. Just don't put other things on top of it and it should last a long time. In general, the mouse pad feels amazing to me, but the only other mouse pads I have used are cloth ones. I also can't tell you how it compares to the Manticor.
Good to hear. How do you clean your G440?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion View Post

I have a Manticor and actually enjoy it quite a bit. I don't have a G440, but I do have a SS 4HD lying around which is a very similar plastic surface. The G440 is much more slippery than the Macticor (fun fact: the G440 directly inspired the original coining of "clown cursor"). An aluminum pad like the Manticor has a different feel overall, kind of hard to explain but it's unique in it's own right. It offers a decent mix of glide and control imo (assuming you have good mouse feet). If you've never experimented with hard mats in general I'd highly recommend trying both and returning the one you don't like (or maybe you'll end up liking them both).
^ I agree

The feeling is also similar on Glass mats (good luck finding one..), you're absolutely right on about the need for good smooth surfaces on the mouse feet, as otherwise it feels like sandpaper, until it buffs out.
in terms of a mixture of glide and control, its hard to describe.
while in my hand, the mouse feels weightless, and seems to move effortlessly. there is not feeling of rubbing or fiction at all.
taking one finger, and pushing the mouse gently. it barely slides at all, and you can hear a bit of a sliding sound you normally cant.

one thing that does need to be said, you need to keep it CLEAN. I keep a microfiber on the desk, and use it to wipe it down quick every time I sit down.
you can feel every little piece of dust, etc.

I find as a result of keeping it immaculately clean, I get nearly perfect tracking.
I never have to move my wrist.
its planted on the mat (which is a little cooler then room temp and keeps my hand awesomely a couple degrees cooler, and it never sweats - even when I'm stressing)
and I move my mouse with only the tips of my fingers. it feels perfect.

only problem is the cost, otherwise I wouldn't even consider cloth for anything other then travel.
I miss the feel when I'm at work. both the glide, and the cool touch on my wrist.

NOTE: if you RAGE while gaming, maybe reconsider this. you could destroy a metal mouse pad whereas a cloth would be undamaged.
(http://www.overclock.net/t/1401051/razer-manticor-review-pictures-included)
I'm not sure how hard the reviewer hit the pad, but if you do strike it hard enough it's thin enough to deform. should also note that I've seen plastic ones damaged similarly

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I won't rush on buying and take my time wait for others opinion as well. Sorry OT but how about the Razer Goliathus? I'm seeing two types of this mat, the speed and the control. What's the difference?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:

Ok I won't rush on buying and take my time wait for others opinion as well. Sorry OT but how about the Razer Goliathus? I'm seeing two types of this mat, the speed and the control. What's the difference?
Speed is a smooth pad while the control is rough a bit like "sports fabric".

It's up for debate whether speed is actually faster than control but it's personal preference. Other mats include Steelseries QCK which is sometimes fast or slow depending on what model or batch you get (i think Steelseries justs gets a OEM to manufacture these) and the Roccat Taito which is on the fast side of cloth mats and is pretty good.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have both and can recommend the g440 over the Manticore without hesitation.

I do think the glide on the 440 is more balanced, but the big deal is that the Manticore wears out quickly in the region you swipe the most, ruining glide consistency.

Having tried every esteemed pad on the market, I can say my favorite is the Func 1030 XL, and the g440 is the runner-up.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbr View Post

I do think the glide on the 440 is more balanced, but the big deal is that the Manticore wears out quickly in the region you swipe the most, ruining glide consistency.

Having tried every esteemed pad on the market, I can say my favorite is the Func 1030 XL, and the g440 is the runner-up.
Hard mats all wear out faster than cloth pads then...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:

proof.gif

remember its spelt "MANTICOR" not "IRONCLAD"
hehe

In the interest of fairness, I did fine a couple (Literally 2). one still recommended the pad. both found on Amazon.

as previously mentioned, g440 are not immune to this either,
heres the first review on logitech's website. (reviews.logitech.com)
Quote:
LOVE IT BUT FADING ALREADY
March 24, 2014
I love the way this mouse pad feels and sticks to the desk. Its a fantastic product, but after only 3 months with the pad mine is developing a faded spot on it where I'm "mousing" the most. Picture attached. Other than that its the best I've used especially for the price.
OP - decide for yourself based on feeling. all mousepad are going to need to be replaced eventually because of wear.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But even if it wears out, it's not like I won't be able to use it anymore right?

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,765 Posts
Quote:

the Func has been less wear resistant than any cloth pad I've tried.
Actually Func have always made their mouse pads out of 100% Polycarbonate hence it's plastic that lasts.

Most other mouse pad manufacturers who make sub standard plastics, that easily wear away faster than your wallet at David Jones.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I actually have a Manticor. It's a less smooth gliding surface than my Razer Goliathus Speed. As far as control accuracy I'd rate it alongside something more like the XTRAC Ripper, but even there that pad is noticeably, significantly smoother to move the mouse around on than the Manticor. Mouse movement on it is slow and has a gritty feel to it. I consider it one of the worst mousepad purchases I've ever made. I tried to use it for a few days before giving up and going back to my XTRAC.

The only hard pad I've ever bought that's outlasted cloth pads and has been smooth and usable is the Steelseries SX. I use it during the summer because I don't have A/C and it's easier to clean than soft pads, and being aluminum it stays cooler. There's also no other currently available aluminum pad that glides that easy. It's a huge shame they don't still make that thing. I do switch to cloth every winter though. It's just more comfortable for extended use.

If my SX ever does wear out I'll probably just end up abandoning hard/aluminum pads completely and going back to one of the C4NGen pads from CS Hyde for the summers. I have an old one of those that shows some wear but still glides pretty much just as well as the Steelseries SX. It travels with my laptop. I feel like nobody ever talks about those pads, but if you want a super smooth very fast gliding mouse pad they're pretty great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts