Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying the Z5500 pretty soon. Most everyone has good things to say about it and I love the power of the speakers, since I play my music loud. My question is, I am going to spend around $230 for it. Is there anything else that is comprable to it? Better than it? Finally, this is logitech's top of the line speaker set correct?

I looked at the Creative Giga Works 7.1 and the Klipsch Promedia Series, and there are several complaints from various users about things breaking. I am sure they work good for some people, but these kinds of reports bother me. After spending that kind of money, the MAIN thing I want is relaibility.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by virtualnan

I am planning on buying the Z5500 pretty soon. Most everyone has good things to say about it and I love the power of the speakers, since I play my music loud. My question is, I am going to spend around $230 for it. Is there anything else that is comprable to it? Better than it? Finally, this is logitech's top of the line speaker set correct?

I looked at the Creative Giga Works 7.1 and the Klipsch Promedia Series, and there are several complaints from various users about things breaking. I am sure they work good for some people, but these kinds of reports bother me. After spending that kind of money, the MAIN thing I want is relaibility.

Replace the included speaker wiring if possible. Thin wire makes it much more difficult on the amplifier to control the drivers in a speaker. The extra impedance will force the amplifier to work harder and will raise the temperature. It'll run much cooler with better wire and it will sound better as well since the amplifier will have much more control over the drivers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

Replace the included speaker wiring if possible. Thin wire makes it much more difficult on the amplifier to control the drivers in a speaker. The extra impedance will force the amplifier to work harder and will raise the temperature. It'll run much cooler with better wire and it will sound better as well since the amplifier will have much more control over the drivers.

That is a good idea. What guage speaker wire should I use?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

That is a good idea. What guage speaker wire should I use?

Wait until you see how big you can fit easily into the speakers. It doesn't have to be huge, it's just that the tiny gauge they give you will cause your amp to run too hot and will shorten the lifespan of it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

Wait until you see how big you can fit easily into the speakers. It doesn't have to be huge, it's just that the tiny gauge they give you will cause your amp to run too hot and will shorten the lifespan of it.

Ok will do. I understand what you are saying. Hell I am running 0 Guage power and ground wire in my car!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
That would be to fat to fit in the spring clip, I've got 8 or 10 AWG from my amp.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbite

That would be to fat to fit in the spring clip, I've got 8 or 10 AWG from my amp.

Ofcourse. That is cool that they allow you to change your wires like this. But back to my original question. Anything better than these speakers for around $230?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Hey! wait! you have onboard sound! Does it support 7.1 speakers? If it doesn't buy one, but don't buy a crappy sound card!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bentrinh

Hey! wait! you have onboard sound! Does it support 7.1 speakers? If it doesn't buy one, but don't buy a crappy sound card!

You are right. For now I want to get the speakers. My plan is to get the Xtrememusic card soon.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
The only thing that compares to the z5500s is the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 but I too was warded off by many complaints of the units dying, I have the 2.1 version of those and love them to death, I am also getting the z5500s in about a month, hope you like them

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Quote:

You are right. For now I want to get the speakers. My plan is to get the Xtrememusic card soon.

i would get an audigy 2zs and above but not a xtreme since must of the music is 5.1 u wont really take advantage of the features da the X has + u wont hear a real dif if u get the logitech speakers, i say da cus i have tried both sound cards and i dont really see a BIG diff. except for the money.

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by batista

i would get an audigy 2zs and above but not a xtreme since must of the music is 5.1 u wont really take advantage of the features da the X has + u wont hear a real dif if u get the logitech speakers, i say da cus i have tried both sound cards and i dont really see a BIG diff. except for the money.

Wow, thats completely untrue, there is a HUGE difference in sound between the ZS and the X-fi... and how wouldnt you take advantage of the x-fi with 5.1 speakers? wow to sum it up this post made no sense.

The bass on the z-5500s is great for a computer system, it shakes my house, i can hear it outside, its great, pair that with the xtrememusic and the 24bit crystalizer and tweak the EQ to your style of music and these babies shine bright, I love these speakers and the X-fi...i suppose the above poster isnt an audiophile so he wouldnt notice the difference...because trust me and sccr and everyone else that has one, it is BIG.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
i personally love my creative -cambridge soundworks... but they are on there way out... ive run them to hell and back :\\

so next on my list (for the sound deartment) is the creative gigaworks,and x-fi platinum

·
Banned
60 Posts
If I am not mistaken, you have a digital output on your mobo. if so then you can run that to the speakers instead of the 1/8" jacks.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by batista

Nearly all recorded music is only recorded in 2 channel (left + right). Honestly, if you tried both sound cards and didn't see much of a difference, then you weren't using the settings correctly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts