Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to move my computer to the basement. It will sit on a high self-made shelf about 5 feet off the ground. The back of it will be facing the same corner as my desk in the office above it. The goal is to achieve better ambient temperatures in the basement and office. With my sig rig I am creating too much heat to withstand long hours of use. By putting it in the basement I won't be creating as much heat and I won't have to run my wall mounted furnace downstairs as much. Also it will reduce my noise levels (not much to begin with unless I'm gaming) in the office. My monitor, keyboard, mouse, headphones, and speakers will stay upstairs. There will be about a 20ft distance in-between them comfortably.

What I would like to know is if there is anyone here who has experience with DVI cables 25-50ft in length. Prices online are in the $200-$300 range for 'quality' cables. I thought maybe I could get a really long HDMI cable and use that instead seeing as they are much cheaper. Also do you recommend a store or online retailer that has them?

tl;dr Long DVI cables for cheap and not sacrifice quality? Will HDMI work just as well even at 1920x1200

·
Jen-Hsun Huang fanboy
911 Posts
Its a good idea, but I wouldnt get anything over 25 feet.

The signal drops off alot after that, and the only way to fix it is to buy super high end quality cables.

Just get a decent 25 foot hdmi cable, and use a hdmi to dvi converter which are only like 5-6 bucks.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That's is a great read, the blue jeans link that is. I believe rule of thumb (at least what I remember) is that you don't want to go further then 25 feet without using a power signal repeater to help prevent signal degregation. You may not need it and there will be cables offered at longer range, just know that there is the possibility the longer past 25 feet you go.

I have found sometimes though www.monoprice.com will have cheaper cables then them though so check them out once you're a bit more well versed on the subject.

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
monoprice.com looks extremely promising. Thanks for the help guys.

So has anyone else done this, putting the PC in another room?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have to a degree, by that I mean I moved my computer from by my desk into the opposite corner (along the same wall) beside the air conditioner as the noise from my open tech bench was getting annoying sometimes (as well as would make my feet or hands hot if i had it on my desk or under it).

I used I believe 10M (or 25FT) cables for this, running at 1920 x 1080 with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
regular length dvi worked fine for me.
new regular displayport 6ft worked fine.

both of the new 15ft displayport cables came doa.

i see the seller feedback on the same cables is all positive. (i gave the seller +ve feedback before trying the cables. i had them over a month without trying them but was giving feedbacks to all my purchases and assumed they worked).

you be the judge.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Monoprice is amazing, I buy everything I can through them. they are cheap and their cheapest form of shipping (for me) is a 3rd party overnight option, great if you are in Norcal, and maybe other areas.

25ft you should be fine. Ive run 25ft HDMI without issue and I purchased the cheapest cable I could find.

Im jealous of putting your pc in the basement, I would if I could! Ive been trying my hardest to get a inaudible pc over the past few years, and putting a bunch of 120x38mm deltas with gpu fan at 100% and still not hearing it is by far the best of both worlds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts