Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ψ(`∇´)ψ
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
circa 2005; Aero Peek, circa 2008.

Well this was a long “I told you so†in the making. Reader “rm20010†recently commented on a blog post from mine from two years ago, and as curious as I was I decided to check out how in any way it could be relevant. It turns out to be quite interesting indeed.

In December 06 I had found this Microsoft patent from January 2005 by the old Longhorn/Vista designers (Don Lindsay & Hillel Cooperman). Today a variation of what that patent had described (as a way of managing windows) is what we has been realized in the “Aero Peek†feature of Windows 7.

If nothing else, this is a pretty good example of just how long it takes an idea from incubation to reach market and maybe an indication of just how many Longhorn-era innovations (and innovators) were ahead of their time.

by Long Zheng
Source: istartedsomething

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
mm that looks so sleek.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Actually a pretty good read, (the original)

and as per usual, the posted comments are always worth a quick perusal!
+1

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Linux's fancy desktop (Comp-fiz or what ever it is called) has something like this but I found it terribly difficult to use effectively.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi
View Post

Linux's fancy desktop (Comp-fiz or what ever it is called) has something like this but I found it terribly difficult to use effectively.

I found that as well. I find it often takes me more time to try and think of the keyboard shortcuts for stuff like that 3D switcher, Peek, Expose, etc than it does to just click the taskbar item I want.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by C-bro
View Post

I found that as well. I find it often takes me more time to try and think of the keyboard shortcuts for stuff like that 3D switcher, Peek, Expose, etc than it does to just click the taskbar item I want.

Ah. True enough. But Aero Peek isn't a key shortcut. The way you use it. Say you have a number of applications open. And you want to see which is which, but they all have the same name/icon, what you do is hold your mouse over that item on the taskbar for a second, and you'll see this preview show up, but if you still can't see it clear enough to know if it's the right one, you can move your mouse onto the preview and all other windows on the desktop will fade like in the screenshot.

I might be able to dig up a video....

Skip to 3:50 for an example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts