Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking into upgrading from an Athlon XP system to an Athlon 64 system. I have been informed that the difference between a socket 754 and a socket 939 is only about 3%. Also, does a 1024Mb L2 cahce much of a difference from a 512MB L2 cache? What would be a good socket 754 for a good price that would be good for OC?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Others correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe every 512kb of cache is equal to about 100mhz. As for the processor for 754, a lot of people like the 3400's, or if you want a cheaper one, you could go w/ a 3000+.

Rep points for helpful posts.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan

Others correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe every 512kb of cache is equal to about 100mhz. As for the processor for 754, a lot of people like the 3400's, or if you want a cheaper one, you could go w/ a 3000+.

Rep points for helpful posts.

Do you already have a motherboard? If not i would go with a 939 just so you could upgrade easier in the future. I have a 2800+ that i love.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't ordered anything, but i had a socket 754 mobo i was told would work very well for OC, the DFI lanparty nforce 3 250g. But i want as many suggestions as i can get. Oh, and one more thing. When i search for CPU's i find that alot are meant for DTR's. They seem to be cheaper but would i be able to use one in my computer and would it work good for OC?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
DFI Socket 754 board (939 is a gigantic pile of crap) and either a Mobile 3200 or 3400 will do nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
939 = Waste of money (Unless your rich and burn money)

The price tag on 939 is stupid for the minimal performance increase... Like you said 3% which is about right.

Much better to get 754...

Definetley get the DFI Lanparty nf3 250Gb... Quite a few of us here have one and we swear by DFI because of the performance they give... Couple that with a 3200 or 3400 Clawhammer if you can find one and you will be set for a sweet RIG.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
It's like deadlock and yiffy said. Nothing can touch the DFI when it comes to performance and overclocking options. And you'll be more than happy with a S754 3200 or 3400.

The other day I was browsing the DFI street forums and found a few people that were switching from S939 3500+ cpu's to S754 DFI/3400 comobos

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
^^Exactly.... Just make sure that you get a Clawhammer and not the silly NewCastle. Better Price to performance ratio. DFI Motherboards are the best. Period. Also, if you are wanting to get good OC's, look at getting some good RAM. PC4000 at a minimum. That way you can get maximum potential out of your spiffy new A64!!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Txsaggieman

I am currently looking into upgrading from an Athlon XP system to an Athlon 64 system. I have been informed that the difference between a socket 754 and a socket 939 is only about 3%. Also, does a 1024Mb L2 cahce much of a difference from a 512MB L2 cache? What would be a good socket 754 for a good price that would be good for OC?

To sort through the replies, here's a summary (with some corrections)

A 1024 meg L2 is equivalent to 512 meg L2 + 200MHz clock speed, whence DTR's (that have 1024 L2's) run 200 MHz slower than there desktop counterpart.

A64 is the way to go, be it 939 or 754. 754 is for the budget/performance minded.

You cannot go wrong with an A64 system, the computing power is mighty fine, and most have proven to overclock AT LEAST 10%.

Any of the nForce3 boards are going to perform very well. A DTR 3400 will give you the 1024 L2 that is SOOO very nice, and gives you a multiplier of 11, which is a good multiplier for OC'ing. When I say its a good multi for OCing, I mean its ability to go up to 11 is quite nice when you find yourself max FSB at 10 and wouldnt mind some more clockspeed.

***EDIT

This is just a list of prices and nforce3 boards, I'll let the other users post their thoughts on individual boards and processors. All prices in USD, as of Jan3, 2004. Found using www.Pricewatch.com.

CHAINTECH VNF3-250 = 72.00
BIOSTAR K8VGAM = 62.00
EPoX EP-8KDA3I = 69.00
Gigabyte GA-K8NS = 70.60
ASUS K8N = 86.00
MSI K8N Neo-FSR = 88.83

I have left a few boards out, they didnt fall in the "under 90 dollars" category.

Some online retailers are offering a plethora of CPU's, consult Overclock.net first, it seems as though many retailers are not reporting their information correctly.

They have gotten DTR's, Mobiles, and Desktop CPU's all confused.

I found what seems to be a DTR 3400 for 200 dollars (OEM version) which to me is a GREAT deal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i kno everyones bashing s939 but damn it i like mine! wasnt too expensive 135(k8n neo2) 150(3000+ 90nm winnie). it also feels nice to know that if i win the lotto or something i can just drop an fx55 right in with no probs, also the most upgradable when dual core chips n stuff come out. dual channel (braces for impact) which everyone is going to tell u, doesnt make a diff....but it has it. its also nice if u go 939 now, when the sli boards come down in price all u gotta do is get a new board....and video lol.....but u got the CPU!

hey somones gotta stand up fo s939

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
If you win the lotto, I don't think picking up a $230 motherboard with your other $8000 of stuff is gonna put a very big dent in that $23 million. There will be dual core Socket 754 chips (on the mobile end again) or at least there is supposed to. Maybe if you plan to use the same motherboard for another year, that's an arguable point, but for me who has had 4 different motherboards just in 2004... that's sad, anyway, it's not a big deal cause I'll be picking up a new board when dual core FXs become resonably priced.

·
Registered
148 Posts
this is true, if u upgrade very fequently theres no reason not to get s754 then 939 then sli 939 or whatever, but y not plan for the future......all this talk about s754 i might have to get one, there goes that xmas money

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I wouldn't be swapping boards so much if someone made a decent Socket 939 board, but until DFI releases their Socket 939 boards and I suddenly find myself with 800+ bucks to piss away on a dual core FX, I'm sticking with Socket 754.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I've got a 939 rig and the performance was great until the HDD died. But I do wish sometimes I got a 754 setup because they do seem to oc better.

If you want to go to a64 now, them go for a 754 setup. But if you can wait a while, then wait for DFI to release a 939 mobo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts