Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello OCN,

I have been looking for a game that myself and my girlfriend can enjoy together. We are both students so we're looking for something casual and not too addictive.

So far I've showed her:

Skyrim: She liked the RPG elements such as, character creation and open-world experience. She disliked the melodramatic theme and music. I could modify the game perhaps, but I believe that she wouldn't get along with Skyrim in the long-run.

Portal 2: She really enjoyed the humour, and the puzzle-solving element is appealing. However, she felt dizzy after a watching for a while.

Trine 2: She enjoyed this, but the theme is too childish. She would prefer something a little more intellectual.

There are many games that I do not need to show her, as she doesn't like anything that involves death. So I've concluded that I need to find a game that has "clever" humour, RPG elements, an up-beat theme and may include puzzle-solving.

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,882 Posts
Dolphin Emulator and perhaps a Legend of Zelda title like Wind Waker?

·
Bass Enabler
944 Posts
Highly recommend The Walking Dead 1&2 if she digs gritty horror-like stuff. Lots of dialog and multi-choice selections is fun to pick. "Oh oohhh! Say that!" kind of thing. I had a blast with mine.
smile.gif

·
Registered
783 Posts
skyforge
path of exile
runescape EOC (3) or runescape 2007
little big planet (ps3)
The Forest (enable cheats to have no cannibals)
creativerse
fishing planet
don't starve together
mitosis
Civilization V

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
MMo's are the way to go. Try out Guild Wars 2. Hell, it's even f2p and with they way the game is set up you could be max level and go group with a friend that's level 1.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

Might be on the addictive side though.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My gf and I played some Super Meatboy together and both enjoyed passing the controller back and fourth for hours!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found something she likes: Trine 2.

It's lighthearted, story driven, full of puzzles, and not too challenging.

Surprisingly though, the part she enjoys the most is hacking up Goblins with a sword!

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
Trine series is great for that. Glad you found it.

Other good entries on the list of partner-compatible casual games:

Beat Hazard
Audiosurf 2 (specifically 2. Original doesn't have multiplayer, unless you both just play it separately to compete for top score)
Magicka and Magicka 2
Nidhogg
Castle Crashers
Dungeon Defenders and DD2
Mount Your Friends

Depending on how she feels about competition, you might also really enjoy fighting games like Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Street Fighter, etc.

Same goes for racing games. My personal favorite is Distance, although for a more casual start you could look into Zero Gear which is a dirt cheap mario kart imposter.

Just about any multiplayer sandbox is also a good choice. Minecraft obviously, but newer titles like ARK or Rust could work too.

MMOs are a popular choice as well. GW2 is a good one that is really easy to pick up, is pretty, doesn't require much monetary commitment (and thus is highly accessible to casuals), and if you end up playing at different paces, the level scaling system won't leave you two totally screwed.

Lastly, you might consider The Culling... for... reasons >_>
(You might have to marry her if you manage to do well together in that game)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post

I don't know about you, but my favorite game was always "hide the sausage."

Never a bad time for an Archer gif
biggrin.gif

My vote would be something like GW2, or maybe Rocket League

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
How about Divinity: Original Sin enhanced edition? A more than competent RPG that allows for two player co-op. Since she liked character building in Skyrim but not some of the other aspects, this might be a great choice.

If you're open to something a bit older, there is also Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir, which is also a co-op compatible RPG and loads of fun. This one in particular has so much role-playing so if you two are able to really geek out, there's a lot to do in this game.

- EDIT: I didn't emphasize enough. Put these two at the very top of your list.
thumb.gif

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Take her out instead.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
A modded Minecraft perhaps?

I can't hardly get my wife to play games with me unless is the Wii u and games like Mario Party or Party U.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts