Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, i just got my new PC up and running, it rocks. But when i begin overclocking my temps jump too quickly so i started looking at water cooling and then stumbled across Phase Changing and now i need to get one. so i have a few questions (yes i read the stickies)

1. How loud is a -50C unit when operating?
2. How much power does this draw?
3. Would it be easier to build my own Phase Changer, or adapt somthing like a Air conditioner?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
1) You won't find a system to do -50C under load.
Might want to read up a bit on what to expect. -30C even will be a VERY large unit and not something you'd really want to run all the time.
Subzero is good, think of it that way.

2) Depends on the system.
The bigger you go, the more power it will draw. But there aren't a whole lot of gains below -10C (Despite what many may attempt to pitch to you!)

3) Do you have an HVAC license and the tools?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
For someone who hasn't done a watercooling setup yet (judging by what I read), you shouldn't even be considering phase. It's not ideal for a normal computer, and is mainly used for extreme overclocking on computers that aren't ran very much. There are some people around here that use it in their normal computers, but they know what they are doing and I can't imagine their power bills. Stick with a high end custom water cooling kit... processors aren't as hot as they use to be. Some sandy bridge processors are getting 4.8GHz->5GHz on air... Ivy bridge should be even better.

Ask yourself.. do you really want to spend tons of money on phase + power bill for 100-300mhz more with a 24/7 overclock? Water will get you pretty much anything with the newer processors.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoL View Post

1) You won't find a system to do -50C under load.
Might want to read up a bit on what to expect. -30C even will be a VERY large unit and not something you'd really want to run all the time.
Subzero is good, think of it that way.
2) Depends on the system.
The bigger you go, the more power it will draw. But there aren't a whole lot of gains below -10C (Despite what many may attempt to pitch to you!)
3) Do you have an HVAC license and the tools?
There are definitely gains below -10C... it just depends on what type of system you're using. It won't do much with an SB system, but it makes large differences with most other systems.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I apologize, should have been more clear. In reference to current setups. There aren't many gains on PHASE below -10C down to the super high power -40C setups. That range just doesn't add nearly enough if the unit can hold the load. The common issue is people think the warmer systems aren't hold the load, but -10C @ 300W will perform a CPU to heights similar to -30C @ 300W.

But SB especially fits this model.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If you have the tools, get a license and give it a shot.
You came in strong and I do recommend you try the other things first. It's a big gap. But building your own is a great experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts