Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out the 4870's and I saw the Toxic editions from Sapphire which are about the same price as the other 4870's. I was wondering what's the difference between them and the normal 4870's other than the improved cooler and a little overclock because if I were to get a 4870 I am just going to remove the stock cooler and slap on a Accelero Twin Turbo anyhow. Basically I'm wondering if there are any special 4870's I should be looking out for or are they all just the same.

+rep for good answers

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
i think they will have far more better cooling and a small overclock to help gian a FPS or two in games. good luck.

• Rep+
Reactions: CrackClocker

·
Senior Overclocker
5,132 Posts
if its the same price, get the toxic one
maybe its better binned and you'll get better oc
good luck

• Rep+
Reactions: CrackClocker

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,604 Posts
I have the HIS 1 GB...I love it, sweet card. I have mine set at 790 core and memory I'll bump to 1000 sometimes when gaming (absurd really, no need)...

Haven't done the bios yet (post-it's on my monitor and everything ready, just to wimpy to pull the trigger)...

...but I'll tell you, stock card and cooling - this thing performs at those clock at right around 60C on 30-40% fan speed.....

RAM was the key for my purchase (didn't want to go back from my 4650 1GB GDDR2), and the performance I feel is worth the money at my clocks..

I paid $229 about a month or so ago, and now the 4890's will be out at right around the same price if you can hold out a month - that's what I'd do if I were you.

Great card, and I knew I'd hear about the release of 4890's soon after UPS was kind enough to deliver it....but c'est la vie for us PC enthusiasts...

go with 4870 1GB and you won't be disappointed... WAIT the month, and you're better off...

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
i accidentally knocked a resistor off of my HIS card when opening it up for cleaning (i nearly died when i did it and am still depressed)

but my remaining Visiontek card with stock cooling gets set to 890/1095 on "autotune" with the fan running 100%. i would say that paying extra for an overclocked version if you arent afraid of overclocking them yourself is a bad idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.