Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't care if it's a headphone or headset, i'm looking for the best for my conditions:

Music I listen to is mostly Mainstream so things like hip hop, rap, and pop.

Games I mostly play are CoD, counter-strike GO, and league of legends.

I don't mind open or closed. I was thinking of buying a Sennheiser HD 598. I appreciate any advice
smile.gif

·
Registered
607 Posts
the HD598's are a solid choice nothing wrong with that (if open cans work for you needs)

a few other options Ideas...

(I own these) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s ...these are sooo good with rock and whatnot music.. at home my other headphones have all be idle by in large since i got these last Nov.

also AKG Q701's

and of course Grado 225i

lots of good/Solid choices around $200~ish if you live near guitar center they carry the Beyerdynamics so you can listen to them.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly there's no guitar center near me. I'm pretty open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
AKG Q701's are going to be the best choice in terms of dual use as you describe. I absolutely adore Grado, have thousands of dollars of their headphones, but while you will not find a better headphone for rock (amongst other genres), they are not gaming headphones at ALL. Well that's not true, they're just not good for competitive/online gaming. For that, you need the widest, most accurate Soundstage w an emphasis on upper-mids, and you are handicapping yourself unless you go with open air cans (which Grado are, but they are purely music cans).
I don't dislike Beyers, but they are good, not great. I consider them to be akin to Lexus: nice and comfortable, but rather than doing anything great they do everything well. The Q701's and Grado's are more like a BMW, not for everyone, but if they fit your needs, you will never be able to go with anything less.
The Q701's have the combination of a wide accurate Soundstage with accurate, properly attenuated bass that is an incredibly rare thing to find, as with almost all other headphones you sacrifice one for the other or, like with the Beyers, yougget a little bit of each but it's a compromise.

My vote is strongly for the Q701's.

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Aren't you close to San Fran? Isn't there like a billion and five audio stores around you?

Even if there is not a guitar center next to you, there should be quite a few brick and mortar audio stores with headphones and such lying around.
thumb.gif

I personally do not care all that much for the Q701s and I particularly do not care for anything from grado. I mean no disrespect for the people above me, but I simply find them wayyyyyy too bright.

I much prefer the Hifiman HE-300 or used HD600s if you can find them for 250 or less. They sound much more natural. Plenty of sound stage, and accuracy, but they have a bit more bass and the mids are not as bright. The HD600s in particular are very transparent and natural sounding IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts