Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting onto a side panel for a case. Peferably no LEDs, but if it has good cooling, then ok. It also needs to be available at Frys or CentralCpmputers.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
There is almost no reason to use an 80mm fan. The sole exception is behind the motherboard, blowing at the back of the cpu. And even there, if your case could handle it, a 120mm fan would be preferable.

If you have a case that requires an 80mm fan, it's time for a new case. I made the mistake of buying two pretty good fans. I learned that quiet 80mm fans hardly push any air. 80mm fans that push adequate air are too noisy.

I figured out that Antec and Newegg had sold me an obsolete case, not worth having. I replaced my $100 Antec with a $20 NZXT and have been happy ever since.

Save your money. Learn about cases. Watch the sales. Then get a good case. Good cases are cheap these days. Do not waste your money on an 80mm fan.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

There is almost no reason to use an 80mm fan. The sole exception is behind the motherboard, blowing at the back of the cpu. And even there, if your case could handle it, a 120mm fan would be preferable.

If you have a case that requires an 80mm fan, it's time for a new case. I made the mistake of buying two pretty good fans. I learned that quiet 80mm fans hardly push any air. 80mm fans that push adequate air are too noisy.

I figured out that Antec and Newegg had sold me an obsolete case, not worth having. I replaced my $100 Antec with a $20 NZXT and have been happy ever since.

Save your money. Learn about cases. Watch the sales. Then get a good case. Good cases are cheap these days. Do not waste your money on an 80mm fan.
it's the unfortunate truth:D

tho i'm still using an old school lian li that uses 80mm fans in one of my older machines;p it's a 15 year old all aluminum case that really still works well as an APU/HTPC case:D doesnt push alot of air, but it doesn't need to either. a hyper212 is more then enough for a build like that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well, why don't you mod it? Its a very fun activity to do with
tongue.gif
and you can surely install a 120mm fan if you want. But like what ehume said in his case exhaust with no case fan thread, you will surely get better temps. Do a push and pull config, then cut out a blow hole at the back than you're done:thumb:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the case is an elite 310 cooler master. The problem is that i have a hyper 212 in there blocking the 120mm and 92mm holes, so the only option left is 80mm. The case does get hot, even with the 120mm blowing air in from the front. I'm hoping the 80mm can at least keep the gpu cool.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osea23 View Post

Well the case is an elite 310 cooler master. The problem is that i have a hyper 212 in there blocking the 120mm and 92mm holes, so the only option left is 80mm. The case does get hot, even with the 120mm blowing air in from the front. I'm hoping the 80mm can at least keep the gpu cool.
if the problem is the 212 blocking the hole, you can easily mount that 120mm fan externally with some slight modding. put a 120mm grill on the back end of the fan and just mount that fan from the outside. the only problem you'll have is sliding the power cord for the fan into the case which may require some cutting if you cant manage to take the wires off the plug and put it back after you slip the wires through the holes.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

if the problem is the 212 blocking the hole, you can easily mount that 120mm fan externally with some slight modding. put a 120mm grill on the back end of the fan and just mount that fan from the outside. the only problem you'll have is sliding the power cord for the fan into the case which may require some cutting if you cant manage to take the wires off the plug and put it back after you slip the wires through the holes.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

If you're that desperate -- and thinking about getting an 80mm fan is desperate -- it's time to reexamine your needs.
Hmm you may be right. I'ma use the stock intel cooler
smile.gif

·
Man with Fans
7,749 Posts
Are you using the one with a window?
If you're using the windowed one then I don't see why you can't put a 120mm fan on the side panel - my friend's rig fits fine with a 212 and 12CM R4 on the side.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo View Post

Are you using the one with a window?
If you're using the windowed one then I don't see why you can't put a 120mm fan on the side panel - my friend's rig fits fine with a 212 and 12CM R4 on the side.
Yes Elite 310 with side panel. It just doesn't fit. Should I post some pics?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts