Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am using a pair of Shure SRH440's for my general purpose headphones. I use them for gaming and music. I am looking for something that will provide a noticible increase in sound quality over the Shure headphones. I will probably be purchasing a USB DAC sometime soon but will use the headphones for the time being on on-board audio on my desktop, and phone. All music is in flac and where I am looking for the majority of the gains.

I am currently considerinig a pair of the audio technica M50x headphones. Suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
842 Posts
AT M50's are overrated and not very good (in B4 "lawl, gee tee eff oh, be5t headfon ev3r nuub").

What's your budget....I could recommend you a lot but if you were only looking to spend the worth of an M50, that narrows your good options considerably.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I owned a pair of ATH M-50's, but they really weren't what I was looking for. They didn't provide much sound-stage, muddled lows and bass, and weren't able to play highs very well. As general purpose headphones, I wouldn't recommend them.

I'm currently using Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. They're well within your price range, offer a detachable cable, and have incredible sound. When playing through your on-board audio, you're really missing out on what your headphones have to offer. I plug mine into a Yamaha RX-V367 Receiver that I bought used for $65. It made a world of difference, and I'm amazed by the improvement.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a pair of Sennheiser 595s and mostly listen to Lossless Audio and game with them and think are by far the best purchase I have ever made.

But considering they are now discontinued I have heard the 598s are a bit better and are a bit below your budget.

I'm not an Audiophile per se but this is just my opinion.

·
Engineer of Malcontent
5,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopa View Post

I have a pair of Sennheiser 595s and mostly listen to Lossless Audio and game with them and think are by far the best purchase I have ever made.

But considering they are now discontinued I have heard the 598s are a bit better and are a bit below your budget.

I'm not an Audiophile per se but this is just my opinion.
To build off of what this guy said, I was in a similar situation and bout myself a pair of 558s. The apparently have the same drivers as the 598s. I cannot verify this, however after purchasing them and doing the "mod" wich takes about 5 min, they sound stunning to me. Best 100 bucks ever spent.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Can't help but recommend the Sony MDRZX700s. I use them for music production, video editing, and gaming. They work really well in these applications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts