Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a i7 950 DO in my rig OC'ed to 4.0Ghz. I see alot of people on here that have 920s at the same clock speed for the same voltage.

I understand that all chips OC differently and apparently the 920 DO's has some fantastic batches come through. I also accept that I most likely made a less than optimal choice and overpaid for the 950 when a 920 can achieve the same result for less cost. Whats done is done.

What I'd like to understand is what the real world difference is?

Im guessing I could probably push the 950 a litter higher than it currently is especially with a better cooler, is that about the only diff?

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
The 950 has a higher multiplier, and is *supposedly* binned better, which should allow for the same clocks at lower voltage, or just higher clocks.

The difference on air or water between a 920/930/940/950/960/965/975 won't even be very big at all. The reason being: you're limited by your cooler; if you put it under better cooling like phase or dry ice, you'd be able to hit higher clocks since your motherboard wouldn't be stressed as much because you could just up your multi instead of BCLK if you hit a wall.

You can also run your RAM at more ideal speeds with a higher multi, too.

·
HGTTG
1,030 Posts
I have my 950 at 4.2GHz on air with a CPU vcore of 1.325, it was pretty easy to get there and not that much more work to get it completely stable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts