Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost all the cases made today are designed for 2-3 3.5" drives. I'm still rocking 5 drives and probably will continue to use more than 3, so I need a case with an unususal number of hard drive bays.

Now, I know I can go to pcpartpicker and search for 5+ 3.5" bays, and I have. But sometimes cases have capacity for more bays, but you need to buy the extra bays/brackets. Like the Enthoo Pro M, only comes with 2 HD Bays but you can run 6 more HDs if you buy their trays.

So I'm looking for recommendations. What do you guys like with 5+ 3.5" bays? And what cases have the ability to have more bays added but aren't listed as coming with them (and so wouldn't appear on the pcpartpicker filter)?

I'm trying to keep it under $150, I don't need a super case of doom, just a pretty nice one. Air flow and ease of building are more important than looks, but if it looks good too, great. I'm leaning towards either the Enthoo pro or Enthoo pro M. The M (IMO) more attractive because it doesn't have the old-looking 5.25 bays in the front, but the pro comes with all the stuff you need with the case, you don't have to buy extra HD brackets. Speaking of which, are there cheap third party brackets for cases like that?

But I'm definitely looking at other options too. Any recommendations or thoughts welcome.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,471 Posts
for my NAS I've got a P400S with the P400A front mesh front panel and have 4 extra bays added on top of the 3 it supports out of the box. It does good for me on thermals but it's not really a high end system.

You could save a few bucks and go for the P300A Mesh instead, it's $49. HDD brackets are somewhat reasonable at $9.99 on Amazon.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
39,582 Posts
This should be in budget and you can throw up to 12 3.5" drives in it if you buy the brackets: Phanteks Innovative Computer Hardware Design
I have the 719 which is the nice version of the same case and its terrible the mounts you are talking about do a piss poor job of holding stuff that vibrate so if you put a bunch of HDD´s in those mounts the whole case shakes like a small earthquake when more than one is in use

The 719 and Pro II are NOT recommended they are terrible for use with 3,5 drives and the list of problems are a mile long such as no space above the motherboard no space for PSU and cables and flimsy frame that flex quite a lot if you take the top front and side panels off and i can go on and on about whats wrong with it

Its meant for crazy liquid cooling setups or dual system / dual PSU´s and its probably really good for that first and formost everything else is a second thought and it shows
I bought a Fractal Design Define 7 XL and i am going to throw the 719 in the trash or give it away for free as its so terrible for use with HDD´s

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Almost all the cases made today are designed for 2-3 3.5" drives. I'm still rocking 5 drives and probably will continue to use more than 3, so I need a case with an unususal number of hard drive bays.

Now, I know I can go to pcpartpicker and search for 5+ 3.5" bays, and I have. But sometimes cases have capacity for more bays, but you need to buy the extra bays/brackets. Like the Enthoo Pro M, only comes with 2 HD Bays but you can run 6 more HDs if you buy their trays.

So I'm looking for recommendations. What do you guys like with 5+ 3.5" bays? And what cases have the ability to have more bays added but aren't listed as coming with them (and so wouldn't appear on the pcpartpicker filter)?

I'm trying to keep it under $150, I don't need a super case of doom, just a pretty nice one. Air flow and ease of building are more important than looks, but if it looks good too, great. I'm leaning towards either the Enthoo pro or Enthoo pro M. The M (IMO) more attractive because it doesn't have the old-looking 5.25 bays in the front, but the pro comes with all the stuff you need with the case, you don't have to buy extra HD brackets. Speaking of which, are there cheap third party brackets for cases like that?

But I'm definitely looking at other options too. Any recommendations or thoughts welcome.

this thing is a beast, my server runs inside of it. I have a 4-in-3 slot that fits super flush.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,582 Posts
The Fractal Design Define 7 XL has room for up to 20 HDD´s all at once yes 20 or you can do less and still has room for up to two 5,25 bays so you can mix and match it to what you need

There is also the normal Define 7 which is slightly smaller but can still do up to 14 HDD´s i think? there is an even smaller Define 7 compact but i dont know how many drives that one can hold

The Define 7 XL comes with mounts for at least 6 out of the box without you having to buy more mounts
Not sure if you get any of these drive trays or not with the case? i bought an 6 extra just in case so i have mounts for 12 drives or 14 if 2 are included

Otherwise i can recommended the old Enthoo Phanteks Pro and Luxe 1 (not the new Pro II and 719 those sucks!)
I still have an old Enthoo Pro and the TG Luxe 1 and i have used both of those with 5 HDD´s before i moved to the 719 which is in every way worse

• Rep+
Reactions: speed_demon

·
LTSC for life crew
3,083 Posts
Hah Shilka and I agree on something. The Define 7 XL is purpose designed for home server/HEDT/NAS duty. And they are not too terribly expensive either - can be had for under $200 shipped.

The much lower cost option is a Fractal Define R5, which can be had for around $120 and houses 8 or more 3.5" drives.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,582 Posts
Hah Shilka and I agree on something. The Define 7 XL is purpose designed for home server/HEDT/NAS duty. And they are not too terribly expensive either - can be had for under $200 shipped.

The much lower cost option is a Fractal Define R5, which can be had for around $120 and houses 8 or more 3.5" drives.
Got mine today and i got trays for 12 drives or 14 if i use the two type A that came with the case
Was not sure how many came with the case so i bought 6 more which was overkill as it turns out
DSCN4273.JPG

• Rep+
Reactions: speed_demon

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Shilka, I love that picture. How do you like the case? It sure is big!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,582 Posts
Shilka, I love that picture. How do you like the case? It sure is big!
I still have not had the time to move the parts from the old case to the new case so i dont have a lot of thoughts so far
One thing i can say is the frame itself is a lot stronger than the frame on the 719 i tired to see if i could flex the Define 7 XL frame like i can with my 719 and its not moving an inch

I have a build log thread where i post updates

1 - 12 of 12 Posts