Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a faster laptop for coding (mostly C++ and Python programs) but don't know what factors influence program runtime. Is it mostly CPU speed and RAM? Hyperthreading? Solid state drives?

I presume the fastest CPU out there now is still an Intel i7 series?

For example, I like to play on sites like Project Euler, where sometimes I'll need to make a semi-brute force program when I can't figure out a faster algorithm. If I ever have to resort to this, I want the program to be as fast as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolute, absolute, absolute highest probably 2 grand. I'd like to keep it much lower than that if possible.

And yeah I understand brute force won't work; I still want my code to be lightning fast even if the algorithms are good

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebass View Post

Absolute, absolute, absolute highest probably 2 grand. I'd like to keep it much lower than that if possible.

And yeah I understand brute force won't work; I still want my code to be lightning fast even if the algorithms are good
look at malibal.com. you can configure a laptop that will suit your needs and they are very reliable.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebass View Post

I want a faster laptop for coding (mostly C++ and Python programs) but don't know what factors influence program runtime. Is it mostly CPU speed and RAM? Hyperthreading? Solid state drives?

I presume the fastest CPU out there now is still an Intel i7 series?

For example, I like to play on sites like Project Euler, where sometimes I'll need to make a semi-brute force program when I can't figure out a faster algorithm. If I ever have to resort to this, I want the program to be as fast as possible.
Depends on the program!!! Language doesn't matter. It's like asking... I want a computer that is good at Hadoop, gaming, hash cracking, linear optimization, video editing, etc all at once. Sure, you can drop $8K for the best possible laptop... otherwise, you have to understand what your progams actually need.

For brute force...
Single-threaded.... fastest CPU clock.
Multi-threaded.... many cores are more important than faster cores.
Hyperthreading will help but you can tweak code to benefit more from it.
If you are capable, look at GPGPU (via C++ AMP, CUDA, or OpenCL) for massively parallel processing so you will need a good GPU.

However, it absolutely depends on your program.... RAM speed, RAM latency, disk I/O, L2 cache, L3 cache, ALU count, FP count, clock speed, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts