Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantSilent;15266337
I have some generic speakers I think.

I have the turtle beach px21 for a headset.
You don't need a sound card. That is, unless you're dumping quite a bit more money into speaks/phones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlighterPilot;15266385
You don't need a sound card. That is, unless you're dumping quite a bit more money into speaks/phones.
doh.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlighterPilot;15266385
You don't need a sound card. That is, unless you're dumping quite a bit more money into speaks/phones.
So there wouldn't be any difference if I were to get a sound card? Really? Odd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
No, the quality coming out of your speakers/headset will not be able to produce any difference. They're your bottleneck so to speak.

Now, if you're looking for ASIO performance (I'm assuming you're not), then you can benefit from a sound card for other reasons besides sound quality (like low latency between your MIDI instrument and your computer).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantSilent;15266401
So there wouldn't be any difference if I were to get a sound card? Really? Odd.
You would see a small difference, in addition to loudness because any sound card in that price range has a headphone amplifier. I recommend that you buy a decent set of headphones with a clip-on mic, and a sound card like the Asus Xonar DX. Then you'll see a large difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
i would go with xonar dx, i just bought mine, but here is a review from ricsim on several cards including the xonar and the x-fi tianium.

EDIT: the xonar review is on the second page
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebro;15266606
You would see a small difference, in addition to loudness because any sound card in that price range has a headphone amplifier. I recommend that you buy a decent set of headphones with a clip-on mic, and a sound card like the Asus Xonar DX. Then you'll see a large difference.
my headphones already sound great; it's also got a mic.

I'll probably just keep my current setup if that's the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SergeantSilent
View Post

my headphones already sound great; it's also got a mic.

I'll probably just keep my current setup if that's the case.

If you think your PX21'S sound good with on board audio then a sound card will probably make your ears bleed.

It doesn't sound good at all with your current setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Doodlebro
View Post

If you think your PX21'S sound good with on board audio then a sound card will probably make your ears bleed.

It doesn't sound good at all with your current setup.

Maybe not to you; but it sounds amazing to me.
Paying more than 90 dollars for a headset isn't worth it imo, so I don't plan to upgrade that anytime soon.
My on-board audio is on-board audio, what do you expect; although it too goes great with my headset.
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,414 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SergeantSilent
View Post

So there wouldn't be any difference if I were to get a sound card? Really? Odd.

No, there's a difference. The sounds are more crisp and defined. Explosions are more powerful and resonant and the footsteps are more clear and allow you to understand where they are from where you are. It's enhances the little sounds you wouldn't normally notice. Most BluRay enhanced movies benefit from this enhanced sound.

Standard 44Khz is okay for day to day things, but after playing with 96 or 192Khz, it's extremely hard to go back to the generic sound that comes with your motherboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:



Originally Posted by Imglidinhere
View Post

No, there's a difference. The sounds are more crisp and defined. Explosions are more powerful and resonant and the footsteps are more clear and allow you to understand where they are from where you are. It's enhances the little sounds you wouldn't normally notice. Most BluRay enhanced movies benefit from this enhanced sound.

Standard 44Khz is okay for day to day things, but after playing with 96 or 192Khz, it's extremely hard to go back to the generic sound that comes with your motherboard.


That's what I thought. I knew there had to be at least some benefits going to a sound card.

I'll probably end up going with the:

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
or

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top