Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ,My Son's 15 Y.O. best Friend comes over last night and asks for some help. He was lucky enough to have gotten a 4790K for Christmas,but his old Rig is an pre-built Ibuypower minitower case( with only 1 exhaust fan total!) with a Micro ITX board (looks the size of a pack of gum !) ,and 2nd gen.Core I3 with a GTX650 graphics card and 8GB of generic memory(4x2). I took some measurements and it looks like his case will only accomadate a Micro ATX Motherboard at best.So I am wondering ,if any of you out there are using Micro ATX boards that will work out of the box with devils canyon He is on an extremely super tight budget as he has $400 left to get a GPU and Motherboard . Lucky for him ,I will be able to re- install Windows 7 Ultimate for him ,on his existing small HDDdrive ,but without going into my own pocket ,this will be tough. I want to help him ,as his family just went through a nasty divorce ,and money is very tight so i want to help him get up and running so he can enjoy his new CPU. Anny suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Why not just get him a new case? Even the crappiest and ugliest cases can be bought for around $20-$40 online and possibly even at brick and mortar stores. This will at least allow him to get a full-size ATX board.

Looks like you're in Florida, try looking at TigerDirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4861147&Sku=U12-42350

And if you want to be really resourceful you can try to see if someone is throwing away an older computer or have a used case for sale or free on Craigslist.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts