Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all, let me start off by saying i do prefer a headset with a built in mic..
the headset that i have been using is the Fatal1ty Mk II, i loved this headset mainly because it was over the ear, semi-closed, the headband was as thick as my pinky finger (which made it hardly noticeable and i loved that) and the mic was detachable.

this headset is now broken and i'm looking for a new one, hoping not to spend more than 60-70 maybe higher if its a headset or epic quality. one of my audiophile clan members recommended headphones and a zalman clip on mic and i'd have no problem going that route. he recommended:
JVC HARX700
SAMSON SR850
Sennheiser HD555

problem is i despise headphones with the double headband (the wires and the cloth like in the HARx700 and SR850) is there any cans that you guys here at OCN would recommend with a single headband and being semi-closed?

sorry for the essay reading
rolleyes.gif

edit: i will also be purchasing a Creative x-fi titanium sound card if that helps anything..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Go for the HD555s. It's always better to skip the "gaming" brands for headsets like Razer and Steelseries. The HD555s are superior in sound and positioning(great for FPS games). You can add a Zalman clip on mic to it and it'll be much much better than a gaming headset.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Out of all of thoes Id go the HD555 route. But if you wanna spend a little more for afaik better headphones
s are only $20 more. Now one thing I suggest which is what I did is I went to my local Guitar Center (any music store that carries the headphones will do) and try them BEFORE YOU BUY. Sound is pretty personal, I went with my Beyerdynamic Dt880 Pro's over the Sennheiser HD598 because I thought the DT880 Pro's sounded better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went with the Logtiech G35 (Wired). Comes with 3 interchangeable headband cushions, a matte black finish, so fingerprints are non existent. Quick access audio controls on the left ear side. A sleeved cable and very comfortable to wear. 7.1 Dolby. And the sound is amazing, I can hear a bomb being planted on Black Ops no matter where at in the map. ^.^

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would also recommend the HD555s. No need to spend the money on the HD595 as they use the same drivers and if you just do the foam mod (google it) they sound the same. To make them even better sounding (imo) cut out the plastic honeycomb behind the drivers, which will make the soundstage even wider at the expense of some bass. There are a few good threads over at Head-fi about the mods.

·
Fortnite Fanatic
2,906 Posts
HD555s are great but if you must go with an attached mic grab the PC360's.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I purchased a HARX700, and so far, I like it. My only gripe is that it gets quite hot after about 20-30 min (in ~75-80F conditions). The bass is good, and personally I feel like it is more balanced than that of the HD202/HD201s.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Just go with the cheapest of these three, Sennheiser HD555, HD558, or HD595 + Zalman clip on mic. Cant go wrong with any of them.

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Yeah, lotta hype for sennheisers on these boards. Worst case scenario, you dont like them and send them back or resell them for what you paid or them.

Good luck
thumb.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts