Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, iam building a new rig and need a supply for it.
The case is Corsair air240 with Z170M Mortar mobo i7-6700 and gtx970 ( i plan to add another one in q3-q4 2016 )
Any propositions for good psu for this? I assume i need atleast 750w?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,955 Posts
No, your power consumption with two GTX 970s in this build would never exceed 450-475W (and with one GTX 970, it would never exceed 300-325W). Seriously, these things just sip power, and the i7-6700 just sips power too.

So, you could even power this with a good quality-made 550W PSU if you wanted to.

What store(s) can you order from?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,453 Posts
750 watt is overkill even for 2x GTX 970 cards in SLI, so no like TwoCables said a good 450 watt is all you need for 1x card and a 650 watt for 2x cards.
If you can find them and you can spend that much your best bang for buck options is either the Corsair RMx or the EVGA SuperNova G2.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,955 Posts
Do you know if you want a modular PSU?

Also, how much can you spend on the PSU?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes definitely modular, ( 500 zł = around 125$ ) there is no evga 650 g2 in the shop i pasted above(only 750) but iv seen them in other shops in poland. the thing is 750 g2 got same price as 650 g2.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,955 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a lot man, tho i got 2 questions here.Shilka above ( thx
smile.gif
)said i need 650 for sli.If its tru i'll take the 650 xfx.Tho if 550 is enough should i pick the seasonic or xfx? The difference isnt a problem since its minimal .

·
Senior OCN Member
40,453 Posts
Its the same PSU the XFX is just fully modular

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddynho View Post

thanks a lot man, tho i got 2 questions here.Shilka above ( thx
smile.gif
)said i need 650 for sli.If its tru i'll take the 650 xfx.Tho if 550 is enough should i pick the seasonic or xfx? The difference isnt a problem since its minimal .
No, your power consumption with two GTX 970s in this build would never exceed 450 while gaming (and with one GTX 970, it would never exceed 300W). Seriously, these things just sip power, and the i7-6700 just sips power too, never pulling more than ~65W.

So, you could even power this with a good quality-made 550W PSU if you wanted to.

Here:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,4.html

With two GTX 970s in SLI and under full load, their PSU pulled 439W from the wall outlet. The i7-6700 can pull up to 65W under full load, so here's how it breaks down: if we assume that Guru3D's PSU was 90% efficient while pulling 439W from the wall, then that means their computer was pulling about 395W from the PSU. Add 65W to that, and you have an absolute maximum of about 460W. While gaming, the power consumption will never exceed 400-425W.

With one GTX 970 under full load in their system, their PSU pulled 274W. Assuming 90% efficiency, their PSU pulled 247W from the PSU. Add 65W to that, and we have 312W. While gaming, the power consumption would be lower, never exceeding 275-300W.

So yeah, that's why I have two 550W PSUs in that list.

Anyway, again, the XFX XTR Series is a fully modular version of the SeaSonic G Series.

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
40,453 Posts

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post

Im not so sure. This review shows almost 400w on a single card that is OC'd.
http://techgage.com/article/taking-it-to-the-limit-overclocking-nvidias-geforce-gtx-970-980/

Especially if you end up flashing the bios which you really want to, to get the most out of these cards. 550 would be crazy tight. I would personally want a 750.
Thats for the whole system not the card itself
Even says that with big letters in the picture
Of course. But gpu draws the most power. I think it's safe to say it's half of the total per. So add another and your in the 600 range.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post

Of course. But gpu draws the most power. I think it's safe to say it's half of the total per. So add another and your in the 600 range.
The power draw number was probably from the wall which means you then have to take the efficiency of the PSU off the number.
600 watts - efficiency and you are looking at 540 watts at the most

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Some of the custom bios' out there have a 285W+ power target for a single card. Therefore it is theoretically possible to hit 600+W with a SLI system under full GPU and CPU stressing. That being said, I have my 970s in SLI power target at just over 205W each (plenty for SLI) and my 4970K is heavily overclocked. I will just barely break 600W at the wall with my RM1000 (I know this PSU is not recommended) with a 80 plus gold rating. This means my components are pulling around 540W like shilka stated. 550W will be fine, a 750W will also work.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,955 Posts
Ok fine...

@buddynho: will you be overclocking the GTX 970s in any way? If so, then please give me all of the details of your overclocking plans.

Guys, if he stays at stock, then what I said is absolutely 100% correct. Yes, if he overclocks the 970s, then the power consumption will go up. However, he has never indicated that he'd be overclocking them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never did overclocking on GPU but i wish i could do that and was planing to atleast read some tutorials and stuff.If it happens to be not so hard and safe i would do some OC.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddynho View Post

I never did overclocking on GPU but i wish i could do that and was planing to atleast read some tutorials and stuff.If it happens to be not so hard and safe i would do some OC.
Oh yeah it's very easy and safe, just as long as you don't do anything that you're not specifically instructed to do.

So, y'know, maybe it would be best to get the 650W XFX XTR. It's a great PSU and it's at a great price too!

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
I have a question for the PSU gurus here and it is some what pertinent to the OPs question. I have run SLI 970s and now SLI 980s. I have a 4th screen devoted to GPUz, real temp and a host of other system software since im a control freak and like to keep an eye on things as im playing or whatever. Its nothing new to anyone since the "power spikes" have been talked about somewhat ever since release. I monitor current consumption with the Powerpanel software that came with my UPS. While under load, the power does indeed spike up to the mid to high 600 watt range for that "micro" second every now and then. Now that power number is not corrected for PSU efficiency I do not think (I have not really read up on power panel) but the spikes are in fact there. They do not appear often, but at least to this software they are undeniably occuring. What does this mean when considering a PSU for A SLI Maxwell setup? Do you need to plan for this or is the micro second spike that occurs not an issue when using a smaller PSU? With an 850 watt G2 its obviously not a issue for me but still begs the question. Any insight appreciated.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultisym View Post

I have a question for the PSU gurus here and it is some what pertinent to the OPs question. I have run SLI 970s and now SLI 980s. I have a 4th screen devoted to GPUz, real temp and a host of other system software since im a control freak and like to keep an eye on things as im playing or whatever. Its nothing new to anyone since the "power spikes" have been talked about somewhat ever since release. I monitor current consumption with the Powerpanel software that came with my UPS. While under load, the power does indeed spike up to the mid to high 600 watt range for that "micro" second every now and then. Now that power number is not corrected for PSU efficiency I do not think (I have not really read up on power panel) but the spikes are in fact there. They do not appear often, but at least to this software they are undeniably occuring. What does this mean when considering a PSU for A SLI Maxwell setup? Do you need to plan for this or is the micro second spike that occurs not an issue when using a smaller PSU? With an 850 watt G2 its obviously not a issue for me but still begs the question. Any insight appreciated.
There are only two questions I have:

What does the UPS unit itself tell you the power consumption is? I don't mean the software, but the actual unit.

Also, what is the power consumption during the times you see these spikes to 600W?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts