Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently living in an apartment complex with basically no noise insulation (you can hear your downstair and upstair neighbors almost as if they're living in the same room as you, especially in the bedrooms) and use my PC in my bedroom, each time I type on my current keyboard ( a cheap Logitech K120) i can hear the upstair neighbor complaining which is quite annoying (for me and i guess for him as well) so I would need the quietest keyboard possible while not being any bigger than my current K120 since i have very little room for it as it is.

I tried looking for silent or quiet keyboards on google but most results seem to be the same copy/pasted list which i don't trust at all, I'm not looking for anything fancy or gaming orientated or anything like that (I barely game anymore and am not a fast typer ) just a functional keyboard that is quiet, not too big (not any bigger than the Logitech K120), wired or wireless doesn't really matter, preferably not too expensive but if there isn't any cheap option I could stretch my budget a little.

I've already replaced my mouse (old Logitech G500) with a cheap chinese "silent" wireless mouse (left and right clicks are indeed very quiet, the scroll wheel and especially scroll wheel middle click not so much at all) so if you guys have any recommendation for a silent mouse as well I'd happily take it as well but this isn't nearly as urgent right now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm currently living in an apartment complex with basically no noise insulation (you can hear your downstair and upstair neighbors almost as if they're living in the same room as you, especially in the bedrooms) and use my PC in my bedroom, each time I type on my current keyboard ( a cheap Logitech K120) i can hear the upstair neighbor complaining which is quite annoying (for me and i guess for him as well) so I would need the quietest keyboard possible while not being any bigger than my current K120 since i have very little room for it as it is.

I tried looking for silent or quiet keyboards on google but most results seem to be the same copy/pasted list which i don't trust at all, I'm not looking for anything fancy or gaming orientated or anything like that (I barely game anymore and am not a fast typer ) just a functional keyboard that is quiet, not too big (not any bigger than the Logitech K120), wired or wireless doesn't really matter, preferably not too expensive but if there isn't any cheap option I could stretch my budget a little.

I've already replaced my mouse (old Logitech G500) with a cheap chinese "silent" wireless mouse (left and right clicks are indeed very quiet, the scroll wheel and especially scroll wheel middle click not so much at all) so if you guys have any recommendation for a silent mouse as well I'd happily take it as well but this isn't nearly as urgent right now.

Thanks in advance.

·
The last VRM burner
2,589 Posts
The only usable mechanics are on Cherry Silent (Corsair Strafe, i.e.) switches, aided with 1.6x6mm o-rings. There are even quieter switches but they cost double that, so I think they're a no-no.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only usable mechanics are on Cherry Silent (Corsair Strafe, i.e.) switches, aided with 1.6x6mm o-rings. There are even quieter switches but they cost double that, so I think they're a no-no.
I looked up the price of the Corsair Strafe and damn this is expensive especially since I will only use this keyboard for basic stuff (web surfing and chatting with friends basically), I am quiet ill currently and bed-ridden a lot of the time so I'm definitely not gaming or typing essays at the moment, any functioning keyboard that is very quiet would do for what I need but i guess basic cheap membranes keyboard probably don't exist.

I usually do in-depth research myself for what I need to buy but my current illness makes that quite difficult, sorry if i sound a bit picky ;)

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
basically you're going to want a chicklet style keyboard, something with low key travel. even the 'silent' mechanicals are pretty loud compared to them.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,578 Posts
MX Silent Reds.

MX Reds are terrible, MX Silent Reds are extra terrible.

Don't type like a monkey and MX Browns are quiet enough and won't annoy anyone, and if you do type like an ape then add some o-rings.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dhoulmagus

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Outside of probably some scissor switch boards, the only very silent board I know is the Realforce R2 Silenced (the PFU edition is 45g silenced, the 55g silenced version is a "regular edition") but that's ~$280-$320+ (55g silenced is $280, 45g silenced i.e. PFU edition is $320+).

http://www.smartimports.net/realforce-tkl-2-r2tls-us5-bk-tenkeyless-keyboard/

You could try to find the discontinued CoolerMaster Novatouch (45g Topre) for cheap.

For scissor switch options, there's the ThinkPad compact keyboard:

Wired: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/access...-mice/keyboards/KEYBOARD-US-English/p/0B47190
Bluetooth: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/access...ds/KBD-BO-Compact-BT-KBD-w-o-NFC/p/4Y40U90599

Logitech is also known for making pretty quiet scissor switch boards like the K740 and K800.

K740: https://secure.logitech.com/en-us/product/illuminated-keyboard-k740?crid=27
K800: https://secure.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-illuminated-keyboard-k800?crid=27

The other "Quiet Keys" boards from Logitech either have circular keys or weird key curvatures while these two have the more usual cylindrical curve.

If you want a sample for how loud these are, just search up the typing demo or ASMR typing videos of these boards on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your recommendations, I ended up buying a Corsair K55 before there was any reply which is supposed to be quiet, well it is quieter than most keyboards I owned but still a bit louder than I'd like (the neighbor will still probably hear it, I personally don't really care what my keyboard sounds like) it'll have to do for the moment, I might consider the lenovo keyboard that HybridCore recommended if the neighbor keeps complaining, mechanical keyboards are just out of my price range it would seem, the Logitech K800 just went on sale (half-price) on Amazon France and probably would have been a better choice but it was full price when I bought the K55.

·
The last VRM burner
2,589 Posts
K55 on which switches?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
The last VRM burner
2,589 Posts
Is it? Did not Google that on my phone my bad :D

·
It is what it is......
1,308 Posts
Not sure if you're into 60% keyboards, but I bought a Ducky One 2 Mecha Mini with Cherry MX Red Silent switches for only $119 USD. If you're used to Blues or Reds, it will take a few days to get used to. Initially, they feel 'mushy' until you get used to it and realize that the actuation force is less than what is needed for vanilla Reds or Blues. I haven't gone back to vanilla Reds since I got Cherry MX Red Silents. It's the same performance as Reds without the need of O-rings and a lot quieter.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
go back to membranes, or O-ring some reds and force yourself to not bottom out. My red is nigh silent if I don't bottom out.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
go back to membranes, or O-ring some reds and force yourself to not bottom out. My red is nigh silent if I don't bottom out.
I never went away from membranes, I only ever had cheap keyboards my entire life they're fine for my need and more importantly budget, I bought a Corsair K55 after seeing in a few forum posts that it was as silent as the corsair strafe while being much cheaper (it's a membrane keyboard). The keys aren't loud by any means but they have a lot of travel (if that is the right word) so in the end it's not all that much better than my cheap Logitech sound wise, the Logitech K800 went on sale for half-price a few days after my purchase on amazon.fr, it probably would have been a better choice but was full price when i checked.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,578 Posts
if a keyboard is only loud when you use it, is the keyboard loud or are you loud?

MX Browns and don't type like an ape, both MX Red and MX Silent switches should be considered a crime against humanity.

• Rep+
Reactions: Veii

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funnily enough (or not) the upstairs neighbor is currently complaining while I'm typing this, the walls are a joke (I don't type like an ape at all, I'm a very slow typer an don't use much force).

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
the walls are a joke and you'll need to learn to not bottom out no matter the keyboard to reduce user created volume.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
MX Browns and don't type like an ape, both MX Red and MX Silent switches should be considered a crime against humanity.
I've had all of the above, and I feel the exact opposite. I hate browns.

Please don't quote me out of context.

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
The Logitech K120 should be quiet already as it's a membrane keyboard. I bet you can't really find a normal keyboard that's more quiet. You can completely ignore keyboards with mechanical switches because they won't be more quiet, even if dampened with o-rings.

Maybe one thing that could be more quiet are those strange keyboards made out of silicone. You can find them if you search for "waterproof keyboard" or "flexible keyboard".

Overall, I'm wondering what's going on with that neighbor. I can't really imagine a mouse or keyboard being too noisy. I fear you'll have to go and promise that neighbor that you tried everything and you are giving up. The current situation is the best that the neighbor can expect, the neighbor has to mentally prepare to not see any improvement after this point. I'm imagining that neighbor as the type of person that's annoyed simply through being aware that there's another person behind the wall. That kind of thing can't be fixed. The person is just not built for living in an apartment and would need to have a house in the countryside or something.

·
The last VRM burner
2,589 Posts
I had Logitech K200, Corsair Strafe RED and now Corsair Strafe RED Silent, the latter is only a bit louder than the K200, after putting on the o-rings. And I type like a monkey, because that's the purpose of keyboard. Red is pure trash, when it comes to noise.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts