Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the question.

I'm looking for a T-amp to drive a pair of Polk Audio RTI4's for the summer. I have a decent HT setup, but I'm interning for the summer and don't have space to bring everything with me. I've never actually had speakers for my desktop computer, and figure that because I have speakers already, I'd rather just figure out a way to drive the those instead of buying some computer speakers.

From what I've read, It seems like the Dayton Audio DTA-100a and the FiiO A1 are both pretty well regarded. I have found reviews of both of them separately, but haven't found any that compare the two. In fact, I can't seem to find any places where people really even compare them. They seem really similar, so this surprises me.

Those two are the main ones I'm considering, but would be open to something cheaper as well. My main concern is that the cheaper ones (DTA-1 mainly) might not have the power to drive the Polks 89db sensitivity without some crazy distortion.

So, what say ye OCN? Any input? Anyone have experience with either or both of them? Anyone have something they like more instead for something like this?

Also, I'm just planning on going way low tech with this. Using the onboard sound card to the T-Amp with a 3.5mm to RCA cable, then from the amp to the speakers.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Depends on how loud you're playing, and how low. Also, having a subwoofer allows more leeway. And for clarification, the A1 is a Class D amp, and is 14w x 2 while the DTA-100a is 50w x 2. For the price and for what you get, I'd get the DTA-100a. It helps that it also comes with a bunch of accessories.

As for something like a DTA-1 and TA2020, it again depends on how loud you intend to play it and how big the room is. For most computer speakers, you'll be about a foot away, meaning that the apparent SPL will be higher than 89db/w. So a cheap 15w x 2 (really like 7-8w with distortion in mind) might work if you keep volumes at a moderate level. Underpowering speakers is also another concern, but I wanna hear someone else's opinion on that.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response
smile.gif

The room will be small and I will be using the speakers for the computer. On occasion though, my wife and I will be using it to watch netflix and things like that (from the computer), so we will be sitting back a few more feet. I doubt that we'll be more than 8-10 ft away from the speakers at most. I would like it to have room filling sound for a 12 x 18 room (clearly audible for music listening, even if it isn't "shaking the room" or super loud or anything like that for the largest room in the apartment).

Also I think I might be a bit confused on the term "T-amp" if the FiiO is a class D.

If I was to get a cheaper smaller amp (7-9w rms from the looks of things), any idea on which one to get. The DTA-1 is not "that" much cheaper than the DTA-100a which is one of the main reasons I am looking at it. On the other hand, my Denon I use for HT use I picked up for less than the DTA-100a, and it seems a bit strange to spend more on a T-amp than my HT amp/receiver... I just know I've seen a few brands out there that are much cheaper than the daytons, but they look really ... cheap(aka, poorly made, not just inexpensive)... and have really bad reviews.

I've also seen some of the cheaper ones and they seem to have very high distortion levels, which also makes me warry of them.

Thanks for the help so far, and anyone else with input feel free to join in (I've seen some threads about T-amps around here so I know some of you guys out there have some
thumb.gif
).

·
Registered
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post

Thanks for the response
smile.gif
The room will be small and I will be using the speakers for the computer. On occasion though, my wife and I will be using it to watch netflix and things like that (from the computer), so we will be sitting back a few more feet. I doubt that we'll be more than 8-10 ft away from the speakers at most. I would like it to have room filling sound for a 12 x 18 room (clearly audible for music listening, even if it isn't "shaking the room" or super loud or anything like that for the largest room in the apartment).
Also I think I might be a bit confused on the term "T-amp" if the FiiO is a class D.
If I was to get a cheaper smaller amp (7-9w rms from the looks of things), any idea on which one to get. The DTA-1 is not "that" much cheaper than the DTA-100a which is one of the main reasons I am looking at it. On the other hand, my Denon I use for HT use I picked up for less than the DTA-100a, and it seems a bit strange to spend more on a T-amp than my HT amp/receiver... I just know I've seen a few brands out there that are much cheaper than the daytons, but they look really ... cheap(aka, poorly made, not just inexpensive)... and have really bad reviews.
I've also seen some of the cheaper ones and they seem to have very high distortion levels, which also makes me warry of them.
Thanks for the help so far, and anyone else with input feel free to join in (I've seen some threads about T-amps around here so I know some of you guys out there have some
thumb.gif
).
T-amps use Tripath proprietary chips based off of Class D designs. The Dayton IIRC uses two TK2050s.
Honestly though, the Dayton DTA-100a has way bigger bang for buck ratio than the DTA-1 since it more than twice the power, comes with all the accessories, and is in a nice little aluminum package. The newer revisions also sorted the channel issue too I think. With distortion in mind, you can probably get ~30wpc with the DTA-100a. Standalone amps can be costly, depending on where you look and why.

With 8 watts and used fullrange, the Monitor40s will be at around 83-5db at 8 feet. Fullrange does limit the amount of power allowed, though. That's ok for casual watching, as long as the room is quiet. resource I'm guessing your room is around 1800 cubic feet, so the recommendation for the DTA-100a still stands. Plus, if you buy the DTA-100a and some 14-16ga speaker wire, you get free shipping from Partsexpress =).

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent link, I really appreciate it. +rep
thumb.gif

Ok, after doing some more research, I think I've narrowed it down a bit. The FiiO A1 is out of the running, but the new contender is the Topping TK20 - MK2.

The Topping is based on the TA2020, while the Dayton is based on the TP2050. From what I understand, the TA2020 is better than the more common TA2024, while the 2050 is better than the TA2020. The Dayton is still much more powerful, but I'm still wondering if I really need "that" much power for this.

If I was trying to do the same thing with a much lower (say... $30-40) budget, does anyone have one of these small class D or T amps that is preferred over the others?

Thanks again
smile.gif

·
Registered
745 Posts
Quote:

Excellent link, I really appreciate it. +rep
thumb.gif

Ok, after doing some more research, I think I've narrowed it down a bit. The FiiO A1 is out of the running, but the new contender is the Topping TK20 - MK2.
The Topping is based on the TA2020, while the Dayton is based on the TP2050. From what I understand, the TA2020 is better than the more common TA2024, while the 2050 is better than the TA2020. The Dayton is still much more powerful, but I'm still wondering if I really need "that" much power for this.
If I was trying to do the same thing with a much lower (say... $30-40) budget, does anyone have one of these small class D or T amps that is preferred over the others?
Thanks again
smile.gif
Thing about the TA2020 is that it's a 4ohm amp, and you'll be getting about half the available power for 8-ohm speakers (RTI4). So you can get 6-7 watts with it before distortion becomes too much. Again, it depends on how loud you play and like, and whether or not a subwoofer will come into play. If you had high efficiency speakers like 95dbw+. it wouldn't be as much of a concern. At 30-40 bucks, you're limited to basic cheap sub 30wpc amps.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do understand that if I limit my budget, that I'll be stuck with one of the "budget" class amps. I was merely asking which of the "budget" T-amps was more popular or preferred.

I do have a Velodyne VX11, but I don't know if that will be coming along for the trip, just because it might not fit in the car when everything is packed and ready to go. If I have the space, it will be coming along, and I'll be sure to take advantage of the speaker level inputs and crossover that comes with it.

Thanks for the help
smile.gif

·
Registered
745 Posts
Quote:

I do understand that if I limit my budget, that I'll be stuck with one of the "budget" class amps. I was merely asking which of the "budget" T-amps was more popular or preferred.
I do have a Velodyne VX11, but I don't know if that will be coming along for the trip, just because it might not fit in the car when everything is packed and ready to go. If I have the space, it will be coming along, and I'll be sure to take advantage of the speaker level inputs and crossover that comes with it.
Thanks for the help
smile.gif
Ah, ok. Well. For $30-$40 there's the TA2020, DTA-1, or you can buy two DTA-2 modules, or DIY with a Sure board (although you'll have to build your own power supply). IIRC the DTA-100a B-stock comes up sometimes for $50.

·
Registered
607 Posts
hello... I have a pair of RTi4s and a t-amp (SMSL SA-S3 .....not using it to drive the RTi4s now but i have tried it out) blah blah blah the SA-S3 is a Tripath (TA2021B) based t-am delivering 25wpc 4ohms or 13.5wpc 8ohms

anyways I was pleased w/ the performance of the t-amp in general i have used it to drive polk t-15s and montior 30s as well as the RTi4s ... within reasonable volume levels it sounds very good... i think it would get loud enough for the room you describe.... however if you went nutz w/ the volume knob you might send it in to clipping which would be bad.... but I had mine loud enough for my 14x10 room here without any problems.

anyways I got mine from a seller : forexmen off ebay for $39 (and $19 shipping) so $60~ came with power supply (watch out if you go the ebay route a lot of the t-amps on ebay don't include the power supply). it did take 3weeks to arrive from china but you know that is how that goes.

this is the video of my amp and speakers (the t15s when i first got the t-amp)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6LHaHqvze8

1 - 9 of 9 Posts