Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a CPU water cooler, for my $3k rig, and currently I have chosen NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM, but I am unsure if it is the best water cooler in its price range? Any suggestions and critiques are more than welcome!

P.S. This is the rig itself: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/39fshy

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I highly recommend you ditch the AIO completely and buy a high end tower cooler. You'll save enough money that you can buy a binned 8700K from silicon lottery and your temps will be similar.

I've worked in that case before and it's not very water friendly (half the intake is blocked and there isn't a lot of clearance in the top), but it looks cool.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I highly recommend you ditch the AIO completely and buy a high end tower cooler. You'll save enough money that you can buy a binned 8700K from silicon lottery and your temps will be similar.

I've worked in that case before and it's not very water friendly (half the intake is blocked and there isn't a lot of clearance in the top), but it looks cool.

I agree, I'd probably go with a Dark Rock Pro 4 or an NH-D15S if you're looking for the best you can get bar custom water. Closed loop coolers are great for compatibility and appearance, but that's about it. You're likely to see identical performance, with better noise, and no limit on the lifespan of the product. That's my opinion though. If you don't like big air coolers all power to you, but just wanted to make the point that closed loop isn't functionally better, just aesthetically.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, but as you might have noticed, I am kinda going for a cool looking aesthetics. But anyway thanks for the suggestions :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks for the replies, but as you might have noticed, I am kinda going for a cool looking aesthetics. But anyway thanks for the suggestions :)

Well in that case, you're unlikely to find a better looking pump. Other CLCs might perform better or quieter, but if you're concerned about aesthetics the Kraken has them beat. The fans NZXT ships on the Kraken are kind of goofy, but if you swap them out for some Maglevs or something similar you'll have a good looking CLC.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,216 Posts
The Swiftech x3 series should be available in a couple of weeks, so you can get the best of both worlds. Kind of hard to have good aesthetic with one-size-fits-none CLC tubing in the case.

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
Corsair has some good coolers, my h80 is 6 years old a hand me down and still runs!!!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
This is the best answer here.

With the price of CLCs as high as it is these days, the swiftech will be even or at the most 50 bucks more. The swiftech has the look everyone is going for but lets you add in a full cover GPU block, whatever you might want.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,216 Posts
Corsair has some good coolers, my h80 is 6 years old a hand me down and still runs!!!
Corsair doesn't make coolers, they re-brand Asetek coolers (which happen to be essentially identical to the NZXT) and CoolIt products. A six year old H80i would be a CoolIt.

·
Slurpee Addict
394 Posts
Corsair doesn't make coolers, they re-brand Asetek coolers (which happen to be essentially identical to the NZXT) and CoolIt products. A six year old H80i would be a CoolIt.

either or .. its not an h80i ... just the h80 who ever made it knew what they where doing

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
For similar cost of a high-end (lol) all-in-one liquid cooler, you can get custom water cooling kit from EKWB: https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/ek-kit-a240

Air or custom water; AiO's are extremely bad value for money.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
I do NOT understand the logic of buying a cheap AIO for a $3000 build. If you do not want custom because of the time and pain , I can understand that, because I feel the same. But why not buy a high end AIO. Get a liquid cooler with a copper radiator and a decent pump. The Kraken may look nice but it sure does not have a copper or brass radiator and its pump is nothing to write home about either. Do not go super cheap on an AIO. The Alphacool Eisbaer 360 is about the cheapest good AIO I am aware of. It has a copper radiator on the thin side so you do not need a push-pull fan configuration and the temps are pretty good, better than a Kraken.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,216 Posts
I understand the logic of buying a cheap AIO for a $3000 build. If you do not want custom because of the time and pain , I can understand that, because I feel the same. But why not buy a high end AIO. Get a kiquid cooler with a copper radiator and a decent pump. The Kraken may look nice but it sure does not have a copper or brass radiator and its pump is nothing to write home about either. Do not go super cheap on an AIO. The Alphacool Eisbaer 360 is about the cheapest good AIO I am aware of. It has a copper radiator on the thin side so you do not need a push-pull fan configuration and the temps are pretty good, better than a Kraken.
That was my point on referring to the Swiftech. The X3, EK Phoenix and Eisbaer are head and shoulders above. I mentioned the Swiftech as it has quite a bit more bling, and that was stated as a big factor.

@Ricwin - That whole Fluid Gaming line is a catastrophe, and opens up a whole new set of issues with the aluminum components. For $5 more you can be into a copper XSPC kit - http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-raystorm-ion-ex240-watercooling-kit-intel-amd-am4.html

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
@Ricwin - That whole Fluid Gaming line is a catastrophe, and opens up a whole new set of issues with the aluminum components. For $5 more you can be into a copper XSPC kit - http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-raystorm-ion-ex240-watercooling-kit-intel-amd-am4.html
The kit is damn near flawless if you stick to the Fluid Gaming product range. There are no problems using aluminium cooling components as long as you stick to aluminium and dont mix metals. To apply a blanket statement about the Fluid Gaming lineup being a catastrophe is to invite ridicule. I am honestly sat here laughing at your last post.

·
Overclocker in training
14,059 Posts
Hi,
Kraken well be aware of it quirks
One must use google/ facebook account to save a color profile lol :confused:
Deal breaker for me for such a basic task

Foe Riing or what ever it's called would be better but wiring is pretty weird so I've read but a coupe friends like them.
Although a few people call them Thermalfake :D
http://www.thermaltake.com/Cooler/L...e_Riing_RGB_360_TT_Premium_Edition/design.htm

Hard to beat Corsair's warranty 115 pro have pretty good fans.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,216 Posts
The kit is damn near flawless if you stick to the Fluid Gaming product range. There are no problems using aluminium cooling components as long as you stick to aluminium and dont mix metals. To apply a blanket statement about the Fluid Gaming lineup being a catastrophe is to invite ridicule. I am honestly sat here laughing at your last post.
As I laughed at the suggestion of a Fluid Gaming kit to save $5 from a kit with copper, and much higher quality components. Whatever floats your boat.

·
Overclocker in training
14,059 Posts
Hi,
Not sure why anyone would buy a aluminum cooling system
There are way too many aio's clc out there with a lot better warranties than ek's long distant rma system :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hi,
Not sure why anyone would buy a aluminum cooling system
There are way too many aio's clc out there with a lot better warranties than ek's long distant rma system :)

Well to be fair CLCs are all aluminum, and you'll get better performance from a custom loop.

·
Overclocker in training
14,059 Posts
Well to be fair CLCs are all aluminum, and you'll get better performance from a custom loop.
Hi,
Yes that is what I was saying
The ek fluid line is the why would anyone go that route :)
Up to a better kit or stick with clc's
As long as the op has a google or facebook account go for what he posted I didn't like that I had to have those accounts personally but what ever :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the main problem is, that I am not sure if all the suggestions that you proposed will even fit in my case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts