Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just over a year ago I asked for suggestions on a new router, but unfortunately I never acted after that and purchased anything. I'm once again looking and pricing out routers. Here are some main things that I'm looking for in a router:

• Good range - I'd like to get decent transfer speeds from ~ 60 to 75 feet away from the router (decent being >= 25Mbps). When devices are closer to the router (25 feet or less), I'd like speeds that are 300Mbps or more
  • The ability to run more than one wireless network. I was talking to a friend awhile back, and he mentioned that he set up his router with two access points: one that directs traffic directly to a WAN, and another that tunnels traffic through a VPN. I think this would be a nice feature to have, especially for wireless devices that don't have direct support for VPN connections
  • Solid lifespan - I'd like this router to last me at least five years
  • Budget-wise, I'd like to spend less than, or right around $220 CAD

With that being said, I've done some research of my own both on OCN as well as on other websites. I was originally looking at the ASUS RT-AC87U as that's the same router my friend used to set up VPN routing, and multiple access points. However, after doing some further research it appears that ASUS warranty is pretty much non-existent. If something goes wrong with the router, you'll have a heck of a time trying to get it repaired.

So I took a look at my alternatives, and found that a highly recommended alternative was the Netgear R7000. However, the threads I saw that recommended the R7000 highly were over a year old, so I'm not quite sure how it stands up to newer routers.

So my main questions are:

• Is the R7000 still a decent router for the money?
  • Would the R7000 offer dual (or more) access point functionality? Would it allow me to tunnel traffic from one access point through a VPN?
  • If there are routers that you think would fit my needs (and budget) more than the R7000, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts