Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

currently an amateur when it comes to building gaming rigs. currently this is what im looking to build

CPU + Mobo : i7-2600k + Asrock Z68 fatality professional Gen 3
CPU Cooler : Corsair H100 Water cooling AIO Kit
Ram : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600 MHZ 4 x 4GB
HDD : WD 2TB Caviar black 7200rpm SATA 3
SSD : COrsair FORCE GT 120GB 6G Sata 3
PSU : Corsair AX 1200W 80+ Gold
GPU : GIGABYTE HD 6970 2GB DDR5
ODD : LG 12x Blu ray re writer
Sound Card : ASUS XONAr Dx
Chassis : NZXT Phantom Red
monitor: SAMSUNG S24A350H 24"wide LED monitor
Webcam : Logitech HD pro webcam C525

Personally, i would say i hate lags. thats my number one priority. other stuff i probably require is high graphic gaming, video editing sometimes. etc. what do u guys think of this build? feel free to comment on it. thanks :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
How much do you have to spend?

Current pointers:

You dont need a large power supply, i suggest a 750-900 watt power supplly, (antec, thermal take toughpower, silverstone and cosair PSUs are all good)

For the ram, do REALLY need that much memory, you would only need that amount of memory if video encoding/ rendering, i also reccomend G-Skill Ram, which is a OCN favourite
wink.gif
. if you are just PC gaming, then just buy a i5 2500K, overclock it to 4.5 GHz, and you are set
thumb.gif

For the GPU, well, it depends on your budget, right now, the 7970, is pretty good, although around $550
frown.gif

For the SSD, I like the Crucial M4, so do others, nothing but great things said about it
smile.gif
For the HDD, i wouldn't buy a WD Black just now, the HDD prices are SKY high, just buy a Western digital green.. after all, you have a SSD for windows and games
smile.gif

@ OP: how much game rendering/ encoding are you going to do, the 2600K may not be beneficial.. also, if there is a microcenter near you, go check them out, they have good CPU/MOBO deals, but im not sure, im form the UK
smile.gif

I think if you get the deals from microcenter, and change the HDD to a Green, you maybe able to upgrade to a 7970, for around the same price, with these changes
smile.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-LiL-KiD'S-RiG View Post

How much do you have to spend?
Current pointers:
You dont need a large power supply, i suggest a 750-900 watt power supplly, (antec, thermal take toughpower, silverstone and cosair PSUs are all good)
For the ram, do REALLY need that much memory, you would only need that amount of memory if video encoding/ rendering, i also reccomend G-Skill Ram, which is a OCN favourite
wink.gif
. if you are just PC gaming, then just buy a i5 2500K, overclock it to 4.5 GHz, and you are set
thumb.gif

For the GPU, well, it depends on your budget, right now, the 7970, is pretty good, although around $550
frown.gif

For the SSD, I like the Crucial M4, so do others, nothing but great things said about it
smile.gif
For the HDD, i wouldn't buy a WD Black just now, the HDD prices are SKY high, just buy a Western digital green.. after all, you have a SSD for windows and games
smile.gif

@ OP: how much game rendering/ encoding are you going to do, the 2600K may not be beneficial.. also, if there is a microcenter near you, go check them out, they have good CPU/MOBO deals, but im not sure, im form the UK
smile.gif
well i did check around and few people did suggest to future proof the power supply. but u feel that 900W is sufficient right? :)

hmmmm, well for my GPU, dont exactly have such a big budget, thats why im going for the 6970 for now.

i thought about getting the barracuda xt from seagate. might be a cheaper alternative.

well on the rendering and encoding portion, i guess it'll be once a month or once in two months in terms of frequency of usage.

haha no worries dude, im from SG
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'd drop the PSU and get a 850W or even a good 750W is good enough for Xfire (although 750W might be pushing it)

For the SSD, i'd also recommend a M4, Corsair Performance Pro, or Plextor M3 or the Intel 510, which all use the Marvell Controller (unlike the Force series which uses Sandforce) because the Marvell controller has a reputation to be reliable.

For the RAM, since DDR3 is cheap enough and you do mention you do Video Editing, get the 16GB, it's not much more than 8GB.

Also for the CPU, i'd get the 2600k since you do some Video Editing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchuSaysBlessYou View Post

I'd drop the PSU and get a 850W or even a good 750W is good enough for Xfire (although 750W might be pushing it)

For the SSD, i'd also recommend a M4, Corsair Performance Pro, or Plextor M3 or the Intel 510, which all use the Marvell Controller (unlike the Force series which uses Sandforce) because the Marvell controller has a reputation to be reliable.

For the RAM, since DDR3 is cheap enough and you do mention you do Video Editing, get the 16GB, it's not much more than 8GB.

Also for the CPU, i'd get the 2600k since you do some Video Editing.
hey, erm i heard that future proofing ur PSU is a good thing. what's ur take on that?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
imo, for the very few instances that you do any video editing, is it really worth the extra 100$ for the 2600k?
I'd get the 2500k, and spend that extra 100$ towards your GPU budget, and like said, i'd go for a 900W.

ram is super cheap so your fine there, and SSD models have been covered by everyone else.
and HDD, id get something cheaper for now, since like people have said, prices are super high.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you do video editing once or twice a month, then save your money, and get a i5 2500k and overclock. For ram, im not sure whether G-Skill is much cheaper in singapore (it is in the US and UK) so what ever is cheaper on that note. for the hard-drive, ow much storage space do you have in your current computer? I would just suggest 250GB more that your current hard drive. For the PSU, get a AX 850 (a TX is another option), its a high qaulity power supply, and can hold at 850 W, unlike other PSUs. I'd also wait for the 7950, rumored to be $400, and better than the 6970, so thats a option
smile.gif
I'll check back on this tommorow, its 12 am here, and ive got college tommorow
frown.gif
Hopefully another OCNer helps too
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would say change the gourmet to a 7970 or gets second 6970 if you want no lag. For the add I would say get am m4 128gb and for the sound card I would get a creative labs Recon3D. Do you plan to get multiple monitors and use eyfinity?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminatX View Post

imo, for the very few instances that you do any video editing, is it really worth the extra 100$ for the 2600k?
I'd get the 2500k, and spend that extra 100$ towards your GPU budget, and like said, i'd go for a 900W.

ram is super cheap so your fine there, and SSD models have been covered by everyone else.
and HDD, id get something cheaper for now, since like people have said, prices are super high.
thanks for the comment, like u suggested. i think it'd be better if i invested in the GPU instead of the CPU. 2500k with HD7970? hmmm

it was suggested to me to future proof the power supply. whats ur take on that? :)

yeah i think i'll switch it to a probably seagate barracuda xt to save cost
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
That power supply is OVERKILL to the max, i say, grab yourself a Corsair AX750W unit, and throw a 7970 on that machine, so that you have the possibility of CFX when Nvidia releases GTX 700 series and lowers price of 7970. Motherboard? you could use that board i guess, personally, Asus Republic of Gamers board, (yes i am sortof a fanboy) but that board is pretty good too, and with a Corsair H100 you better be overclocking =] also if your gaming, its nice to invest in good gaming mice and a MECHANICAL keyboard, and some sexy speakers to go with that whoopass sound card you have there. And to be honest, Windows 7 Professional offers soo much more than home premium, and ultimate is just loaded with crap, so dont get that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-LiL-KiD'S-RiG View Post

If you do video editing once or twice a month, then save your money, and get a i5 2500k and overclock. For ram, im not sure whether G-Skill is much cheaper in singapore (it is in the US and UK) so what ever is cheaper on that note. for the hard-drive, ow much storage space do you have in your current computer? I would just suggest 250GB more that your current hard drive. For the PSU, get a AX 850 (a TX is another option), its a high qaulity power supply, and can hold at 850 W, unlike other PSUs. I'd also wait for the 7950, rumored to be $400, and better than the 6970, so thats a option
smile.gif
I'll check back on this tommorow, its 12 am here, and ive got college tommorow
frown.gif
Hopefully another OCNer helps too
smile.gif
okay well right now im running a laptop so i dont think i can really compare it that way. but its a 640GB hard drive. g skill ones are cheaper here too! haha
biggrin.gif
sure dude. thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicflames View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminatX View Post

thanks for the comment, like u suggested. i think it'd be better if i invested in the GPU instead of the CPU. 2500k with HD7970? hmmm

it was suggested to me to future proof the power supply. whats ur take on that? :)

yeah i think i'll switch it to a probably seagate barracuda xt to save cost
biggrin.gif
Well the 2500k is a lot worse in video editing and rendering then the 2600k.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

I would say change the gourmet to a 7970 or gets second 6970 if you want no lag. For the add I would say get am m4 128gb and for the sound card I would get a creative labs Recon3D. Do you plan to get multiple monitors and use eyfinity?
i dont plan to get multiple monitors. haha just one would do. im thinking of changing to the 7970. what do u think about the plextor SSDs?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium4 531 overclocker View Post

That power supply is OVERKILL to the max, i say, grab yourself a Corsair AX750W unit, and throw a 7970 on that machine, so that you have the possibility of CFX when Nvidia releases GTX 700 series and lowers price of 7970. Motherboard? you could use that board i guess, personally, Asus Republic of Gamers board, (yes i am sortof a fanboy) but that board is pretty good too, and with a Corsair H100 you better be overclocking =] also if your gaming, its nice to invest in good gaming mice and a MECHANICAL keyboard, and some sexy speakers to go with that whoopass sound card you have there. And to be honest, Windows 7 Professional offers soo much more than home premium, and ultimate is just loaded with crap, so dont get that.
i did hear that future proofing ur PSU is a good thing. i would love to have the 7970 but its a little pricey here in SG. haha. i do plan to overclock thus the H100
biggrin.gif
haha. well from a gamers point of view, what features does the Windows 7 professional offer over that home premium that i might need? :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:

I agree with you. You don't need over 1000w unless you are trifiring go for somewhere in the 750w range if you plan to crossfire if your only getting the 6970 then a 600w is fine.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

i did hear that future proofing ur PSU is a good thing. i would love to have the 7970 but its a little pricey here in SG. haha. i do plan to overclock thus the H100
biggrin.gif
haha. well from a gamers point of view, what features does the Windows 7 professional offer over that home premium that i might need? :)
Well my parents have premium and I have regular so none as far as I've seen.

·
Premium Member
15,117 Posts
Quote:

hey guys,
currently an amateur when it comes to building gaming rigs. currently this is what im looking to build
CPU + Mobo : i7-2600k + Asrock Z68 fatality professional Gen 3..25/2600K And Asus p8z68 pro
CPU Cooler : Corsair H100 Water cooling AIO Kit
Ram : CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600 MHZ 4 x 4GB .......8 GB is plenty....Sandy bridge runs 2133 well/stable..gives more throughput
HDD : WD 2TB Caviar black 7200rpm SATA 3
SSD : COrsair FORCE GT 120GB 6G Sata 3..slow ssd....crucial m4
PSU : Corsair AX 1200W 80+ Gold
biggrin.gif

GPU : GIGABYTE HD 6970 2GB DDR5
biggrin.gif

ODD : LG 12x Blu ray re writer
Sound Card : ASUS XONAr Dx... why?
Chassis : NZXT Phantom Red
monitor: SAMSUNG S24A350H 24"wide LED monitor
Webcam : Logitech HD pro webcam C525
Personally, i would say i hate lags. thats my number one priority. other stuff i probably require is high graphic gaming, video editing sometimes. etc. what do u guys think of this build? feel free to comment on it. thanks :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yeah 2600k is better for video editing, but like he mentioned, he only does video editing once or twice a month, im sure the 2500k will suffice.

as far as PSU goes, stay at or under 1000watts, and your still futureproofing it, so whatever card you get now, you can still sli/crossfire later.

and for gpu I'm more of an nvidia guy, but apparently these new 7970's, and the 7950 thats suppose to come are great cards.
otherwise I'd pick up a gtx580

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Larger SSD, go for 240GB. You'll thank me if you play alot of games, some newer games are pushing 20GB each.

I second the rec for G-Skill, but I think you're good to go 16GB. Why not, you'll never need less RAM.

I also agree that 1200W is a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts