Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a game, platform doesn't matter, that has a great attribute system. I really enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII's junction system. I do not really care about graphics and all that. I just want a game with a great story, battle system, leveling system, and attribute system. I know one has to be out there!

·
Registered
398 Posts
The witcher 2 or Skyrum. Neither are anything like the turn based play of final fantasy. I'm not even sure there are any games like that anymore, but skyruma nd witcher 2 are both great games.

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqside View Post

I am looking for a game, platform doesn't matter, that has a great attribute system. I really enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII's junction system. I do not really care about graphics and all that. I just want a game with a great story, battle system, leveling system, and attribute system. I know one has to be out there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo View Post

The witcher 2 or Skyrum. Neither are anything like the turn based play of final fantasy. I'm not even sure there are any games like that anymore, but skyruma nd witcher 2 are both great games.
I don't find the Witcher to be that great. Thaks but I already have The Witcher 2 and Skyrim 0_0

·
Registered
675 Posts
You could get an emulator and play Dark Cloud. it's incredible

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlyner View Post

Diablo 3, Kingdoms of Amalur, Mass Effect 3, Oblivion, Morrowind.
All of them exactly the type of games that drove him to create this thread.

There's been a few 16 bit releases on steam. I'd have to wait til I get home to look them up, but they're heavily story driven and have an in-depth combat system. 16-bit all of your development time can be spent working on what's important.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
It's hard to believe somebody could suggest Kingdoms of Amalor. It's a crime to even *think* of that bit of trash as a matrure RPG. It's more like a stylized, highly linear, 3D arcade game than what one could call a true RPG.

As an old school, turn based, pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons addict myself (and Gamma World too as well as other TSR games), I have to say I find Skyrim enjoyable but not so much because of the attribute system or combat system or otherwise. More so it's the attraction of exploring the environment and interacting with the world and freaking out on tweaking my video card cooling/overclocking capabilities that make me love it. LOL ...

For true RPG geeks, I think Morrowwind would be a closer shot at satisfying that itch as it's emphasis is markedly more on character generation and story-line gameplay but it's still no comparison to the analytical style of play that pen/paper RPG's offer.

Witcher 2, I can't comment on but I didn't really care for Witcher 1 so I doubt I'd like the 2nd part.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I don't know how far back you want to go, but if you are willing to play "classic" CRPG games, the Wizardry series (specifically VII) were pretty hardcore in terms of char development. There are realtime NPCs moving about city to city, a really large world and multiple avenues of alignment and multiple endings. Tons of items, stats and nearly impossible fights. Note - this is a 1992 CRPG with a "3D" world, but you move in 4 directions by clicking arrows, not 360 degree free roam. That may be the "line in the sand" for many people, though I think the graphics look very nice in an EGA/VGA kind of way. I'd consider it the "best" RPG I've ever played on a computer, but I played it in 1992 so there is some nostalgia creeping in there (also played it several times since and have it on my ipod touch). Many others (who played paper and pen with me) agree, for what that is worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_VII:_Crusaders_of_the_Dark_Savant

If you are interested, PM me - I know what hoops you have to jump through to run it on DOSBOX (can save you some silly searches). Not reading the manual thoroughly is folly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post

For true RPG geeks, I think Morrowwind would be a closer shot at satisfying that itch as it's emphasis is markedly more on character generation and story-line gameplay but it's still no comparison to the analytical style of play that pen/paper RPG's offer.
Amen - still got my rolemaster books and my completely useless 100 sided dice!

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post

It's hard to believe somebody could suggest Kingdoms of Amalor. It's a crime to even *think* of that bit of trash as a matrure RPG. It's more like a stylized, highly linear, 3D arcade game than what one could call a true RPG.
As an old school, turn based, pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons addict myself (and Gamma World too as well as other TSR games), I have to say I find Skyrim enjoyable but not so much because of the attribute system or combat system or otherwise. More so it's the attraction of exploring the environment and interacting with the world and freaking out on tweaking my video card cooling/overclocking capabilities that make me love it. LOL ...
Witcher 2, I can't comment on but I didn't really care for Witcher 1 so I doubt I'd like the 2nd part.
I just don't like the fact that after you've played Oblivion and Skyrim, and try to go back to morrowind, the storyline feels just as stilted and contrived as theirs did.

Pen and paper is still the best source for a story, I fully agree. But stay away from TSR like you would a second cousin with a case of the clap.
thumb.gif

If you can't get away from moving pictures, however, grab an emulator and a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics. Great story, great mechanics.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic... not the MMO, but the single player RPG released in 2004. Easily one of the best RPGs ever made. There's also Jade Empire and Baldur's Gate series.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'd have to go with the Baldur's gate series, particularly BGII. IMO it's the greatest game ever made. Also check out the Icewind Dale games, Knights of the Old Republic, Planscape Torment, Never winter Nights as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh man. I do love me some final fantasy tactics. But I already beat it like 5 times over.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just dont want to play anynore free roaming open-world games. I need something with great character building, but that you cant make them jack of all trades. They have a specific class, and minimal lvl grinding. I do enjoy some level and skill grinding but not so much that it's REQUIRED to do so.

·
Nightmare
59 Posts
Then I'm guessing you wouldn't mind some old school games? Xenosaga Episode I, Xenogears are pretty good too!

Just my top 2 selections!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts