Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my 10 year old Q6600 2.4 quad OC on air daily for 10 years to 3.0, 8GB ddr2, asus P5k... It is starting to show age.. I have upgraded video card several times and run about 5 monitors ( typically 4, sometimes 5 or 6 depending on work-load ) with primary at 4k, others at 1080p... I have a 1080GTX Gaming X for the primary 4k and a 750 ti for the work monitors... I also have a 1TB X400 SanDisk SSD.

Now, I am interested in going with ASUS again because they do build quality products, or they did 10 years ago, and I am planning on overclocking - at the least I intend to use Asus MCE feature ( which is on by default on asus boards which have it as far as I know and it increases core voltages and clocks to max turbo for ALL cores which is a nice feature although enabling it by default is an odd choice as not all users are aware of this )....

I am going to go with either the 7820x 8/16 with 28 lanes, or the 7900x 10/20 with 44 lanes...

Now - My question is how are the 28 lanes divided? My goal is 16x on the 1080GTX, 8x on the 750TI and 4x on the nvme.... That puts me at 28x or exactly at capacity.... However, from some of the charts I've seen, some motherboards take 4x for something else, which would mean I'd be limited to 8x on each card and I really don't want to do that... Does anyone know of a quality Asus board which doesn't do this?

The form factor dictates the case but as of now I'm looking at cases which support E-ATX or XL... I want room to upgrade to at least 128GB memory - I will be buying 2 or 4 16gb sticks. I would like to have 10gbps onboard to avoid needing to buy a card and then lose 1 or 4x and have to restructure... I don't care if I lose a few sata connectors out of the 10 in order to keep the 4x... I would like to have at least 4 sata connectors for hard-drives - I don't mind buying an external drive. I would like as many USB 3.0 or higher on the back of the machine. I don't care about onboard audio as I've never used it other than cheap speakers when I didn't want to wear a headset or was unable to... If it has onboard wifi, great but not a requirement although if it does it should be the fastest variant if possible... I don't care about the color of the board.. I don't care for RGB / LEDs - I would prefer not to have them but it seems everything is using them now and LEDs generate HEAT which is an issue....

I would prefer to have a board with an ideal ARM ( is that right? The power distribution for the CPU ) to not be put all together and that generates a huge hotspot versus if they are separated a bit, ie a few along the top or side, and the rest on the other side generates much lower temps.. This is because I do plan on overclocking...

As of now, I have come up empty on my search for a motherboard simply because the pci-e layouts aren't typically shown in spec listings, etc.. so I'm hoping some of you have experience with this and can help me out.

This is the build I have so far ( * designates I need to purchase, everything else is owned ): I plan on ordering parts ASAP... I could care less for RGB - I care more about performance.. For cases, doors are a big no - if there's something which slides down and stays out of the way permanently then maybe...

Case* Unknown ( I have an Antec 900 right now and I want to switch )
PSU: Seasonic
MBD* Unknown
CPU* 7820X or 7900X
HSNK: AIR - Unknown
MEM* 32 or 64 GB of DDR4 3000 or there-abouts...
VID: 1080 GTX Gaming X 8GB DDR5 - Powering 1 4k monitor.
VID: 750 TI 2GB DDR? - Powering up to 3 1080p monitors
HDD* 512 GB 970 Pro NVME ( I may also go with the 1TB variant depending )... PRIMARY - Used for Windows 10 Pro, scratch and for any programs / games which could benefit from NVME although most will be on mech or the other ssd...
HDD: 1TB X400 SanDisk SSD - Secondary for some games or other programs which need higher speeds than mech hdd but not as high as nvme
HDD: 3 TB Seagate - Work Storage, will mirror raid it to another 3TB drive once I move contents to new mech drive
HDD: 3 TB Seagate - Same as above, will use for work raid
HDD* Up to 12TB drive - Used for Games and nothing else
OPT* Possible extra up to 8TB drive
KBD: Logitech G910
MOU: Roccat Tyon
HDST: Rosewill 5.1 circumaural Vibrating Headset

Note: I am likely going to put the 2 8TB and 2 3TB drives into my old computer and use it as a NAS by adding a 10gbps or 2 network cards and installing a linux distro on an old 80gb drive... I believe they are calling these PAS' now? This will be used for work storage mirrored for all in-house work, and networked game storage accessible to all on network, plus other content. Alternatively, instead of using this computer, I do have a newer one with 16gb ddr3 which I could do the same to as I may give this pc away excluding the hard-drives and video cards...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the 7900x is on sale for 849 USD with 20 off and 70 off in card...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117795&ignorebbr=1

So I'll probably go ahead and get this because of the lane count, but can anyone recommend a good asus board with VRM spacing to dissipate heat? The sale is for another 17 hours or so.. I'm scrambling looking at videos, reviews, etc.... I don't care if I have to buy from Amazon or Newegg - whichever is least expensive, I have premier and prime on both.

I'm also looking for memory - I don't care about rgb but so far I've found a 14 CAS Latency gskill or corsair set for a decent price.... I'm even considering just getting 16gb or something low until the pricing comes down because memory pricing is crazy...

But someone said their heatsink fell off and clanged around their inside for a bit...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232560&ignorebbr=1

Anyways, does latency really make that much difference between say 14 and 19? There is some 64 gb 4x16 kits going for around 600 to 700 but the latency is 19... but the clock is slightly higher than 3200 - I think they are at 3400 to 3500 and 3600 to 3700...

Also, can anyone explain the marketing keywords? Sniper vs ripjaws vs v vs x vs dominator platinum, premium, whatever.. etc.... I can't see anything different other than heat-spreader... timing of the ones I was looking at are the same, latency too... speed too... is it just binned higher or lower or what?

·
Overclocker in training
13,944 Posts
Hi,
Lots of inquires there :)
All I can say is the asus apex is the best oc board
One can always point or hook up a fan to the vrm's if need be.

Ram wise I'd avoid the rgb stuff
This is a better kit yeah branding is a good one to scramble ones head but 4x8gb kit is good :confused:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232348

Psu wise 7900x I wouldn't go anything less than a 1000w I prefer evga P2 series personally 10 year warranty and all wiring is pretty darn good out the box and evga doesn't pig tail wiring.

You will be visiting silicon lottery to get rid of the Intel pigeon poop and get realistic chances of decent temperatures out of the cpu but how well is no telling and aio or corsair H115i pro might be okay or a really large air cooler like the be quiet dark line.
https://siliconlottery.com/products/delid?variant=12391255408726

·
Packet Pusher
2,317 Posts
If you're looking for another long life board, I suggest the ASUS X299 TUF Mark 1. I love mine. I have the 7900x and it runs well in the board.

Just an FYI: Don't install ANY of the included ASUS software. It's all garbage, all of it.

I'm currently running 32GB of some HYPERX and G.Skill. It's only at 2133MHz right now since the HYPERX was some older DDR4 I had on the shelf. The system is still incredibly snappy after coming from X58/Xeon 3520/DDR3 2000. I'll get some more and faster RAM once the prices calm down a bit.

I will be delidding this CPU however. Downside to the 7900x are the temps. At a super mild OC of 4.6GHz fully loaded temps creep into the upper 60's/low 70's under custom water cooling. Cooling: Apogee GTZ, Swiftech 360mm rad w/ 3 Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000RPM fans, MCP655 pump. I'll need it cooler than that to be happy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really want 10g built in ethernet 1 or 2 ports to bridge because I'll be rewiring my home soon with Fiber coming in and 10G local network, or higher depending on if I use fiber or 10g cat6a... Or if I can find real Cat 7 I'd maybe shoot for 40g for when the cards start coming out, or bridge 4 10g ethernet..

I would like a few usb 2.0 ports internal and external, more than 1 usb 2.0 header and the rest I'd prefer to all be USB 3.1 gen 2 instead of a mix between gen 1 and 2.... Or, all of the ports 3.1 Gen 2...

I am also looking for nvme slots ( m.2 m key? ) I have 1 970 Pro 1tb and I may build a raid with a few more to increase speed...

Does dimm.2 use 4x for both cards or 4x each? If for each then it'd be a nice raid setup... I really want to get 3 1 or 2tb nvme drives and stripe them with the option to protect against data-loss...

I'm also getting 4 x16gb ram pieces to start out, likely 3600, no less...

I don't care about onboard video, onboard audio, etc... All of that usually is disappointing or never used. Onboard wireless wouldn't be bad, but it all goes obsolete so quickly it doesn't really matter... I just really want 10g and enough USB ports, the m.2 slots, 8 memory slots with a max of 128gb minimum, and I'd rather not have RGB anything.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
486 Posts
The X299 Asus boards are pretty feature-poor compared to the competition. I love my Asus Sabertooth X99 board but you can really tell Asus cut corners with the TUF X299 boards (I even read that 2 of the SATA ports get disabled if you plug something into the PCIE 4x slot). I've been eyeing that ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 XE board as it includes 10gbps ethernet and its a pretty loaded board. I've never bought anything other than Asus so I'm hesitant.

·
Overclocker in training
13,944 Posts
Hi,
I actually had a mark2 is pretty good
Friend has a mark1 and he likes it

I have the prime deluxe it's okay it's on sell on amazon and is the price it should of been in the first place

There is evga dark but only 4 dimms so it's out as well as the apex

Gigabyte bites not worth looking at.

Most all boards have rgb and it in most cases can be disabled completely.

Asrock taichi XE might be the ticket if you can find one :)
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299 Taichi XE/index.asp

This late in the x299 game you might wait for the refresh boards.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
486 Posts
Hi,
I actually had a mark2 is pretty good
Friend has a mark1 and he likes it

I have the prime deluxe it's okay it's on sell on amazon and is the price it should of been in the first place

There is evga dark but only 4 dimms so it's out as well as the apex

Gigabyte bites not worth looking at.

Most all boards have rgb and it in most cases can be disabled completely.

Asrock taichi XE might be the ticket if you can find one :)
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299 Taichi XE/index.asp

This late in the x299 game you might wait for the refresh boards.
Why did you swap from Mark 2 to Deluxe? It pretty obvious to me the Asrock Fatality is the most feature rich board (13 phase, 10GB Ethernet, 8 SATA, etc). I’ve never swayed from Asus but I don’t know if I’d go outside TUF as they have the 5 year warranty. Also, what refresh boards?

I can get a TUF Mark 1 for $150 but it really seems like the X299 platform gets crapped on a lot. A 7820x + TUF MK1 for less than a 9900k...what could be better than that?

·
Overclocker in training
13,944 Posts
Hi,
Mark 2 ended up with a bent cpu socket pin
Micro center still honored the 3 year in store warranty but all they had was either another mark2 or a prime so I got the prime is all.

You Dreamliner were the one that said tuf x299 boards weren't very good
I actually liked my mark 2 better than the prime

I'll never deal with asus with in store warranties and is my preference :thumb:

But yes again there is no reason to not get a mark 1 or 2 and 7820k at those prices.

Refresh boards well after 99..x is released just like 99..k there will always be a revision or newer board for them although they will obviously still work on existing x299 boards 2066 socket.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may not go with Asus then... I just liked that my Asus P5k board lasted 10 years with a stable overclock running 24/7 and it is still running...

I'm not a huge fan of Asrock but maybe they've improved...

10G is important, I do want 2 or 3 nvme minimum... 6 Sata 6GB/s slots, SAS wouldn't be bad because 6TB drives are $120 12GB/s isn't bad at all..... I'm thinking about getting a card for it...
I have yet to find a 7900x so I'm looking...

I'm checking out the instruction sets to see what's different between 7900x and 9900k ( but the 16 pcie lanes kills it for me )... I may end up going with the 7820x with 28 slots for now and upgrading later... That way I can get 64 or 128GB memory 3600 or so...

I hate that the 7900x is 2 generations old already and no hardware fixes have been done for the exploits... 9900k apparently has some fixes but new exploits are out so....

I am seriously considering AMD... I need to find out the full list of instruction sets for each though because this pc I'll want to last a while too...

·
Overclocker in training
13,944 Posts
Hi,
Not sure why you're worried about the bogeyman spectre stuff MS is handling the updates through the update system and will still do so regardless of what Intel/ asus/.... do bios wise...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts