Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck on a light gaming laptop computer. What I mean by light gaming is games like Don't Starve, Minecraft, Spelunky, FTL, etc.., games that don't really need a whole lot of processing power to play (I'm not looking for a laptop to play Battlefield with). About 80% of what I will be doing with this laptop is surfing the web, watching videos, and typing up documents, with the other 20% being gaming. I'm working within the 500 to 700 USD range. Here are some requirements/preferences I have when it comes to laptop computers:

• It must have a good battery life for mundane tasks like surfing the internet and typing up documents for work, at least 5 hours of battery life, but preferably more. (I will have it plugged in with the battery taken out for whenever I want to game with it.)
  • It must be lightweight and portable. The laptop I'm used to using weighs about 5 lbs and I'm pretty comfortable with that weight, although I understand that higher quality gaming laptops do tend to weigh more.
  • I don't really care about the speaker quality because I usually use headphones when playing games or watching videos, etc...
  • As for screen size, right now I'm using a laptop with 14" Screen size at 1366 x 768 and I'm pretty comfortable with it. Obviously, larger screen sizes and higher resolutions would be good, but not required.
  • For storage I'd like at least 250GB of space, the more the better. I don't really need a SSD for a laptop either, plus that would just raise the price.
  • I would like to buy new, as buying used or "refurbished" electronics always scares the living hell out of me, so unless I can find a really really good deal, I'll always want to buy new.
  • I don't really care to have a touchscreen, as I probably wouldn't use it at all and it would just jack the price up.
  • I want a decent keyboard and touchpad layout because I will not be using a keyboard and mouse with it most of the time.
  • Windows 7 is my preference because I don't find Windows 8 to be at all attractive. (But I can adapt if the deal is good enough)
To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure whether I need a "gaming laptop" to meet all these requirements, my understanding of laptop specs is very limited, so I don't really know what I need to accomplish all this. The only reason I'm adding this last part is because I don't want all the "hardcore" gamers insisting I need a 1300 USD build to play Minecraft. I already have a desktop for all my performance demanding gaming needs, this laptop is only for light gaming on trips (i.e. I'm staying in a hotel and I can just plug it in for some light gaming and typing up documents.)

Thank You for your Input!

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
The G505s from Lenovo with the A10 used to be a good offering for budget laptop with the potential to game. I believe acer had a carbon copy offering in their lineup for a similar price. Though my knowledge isn't up on the latest

Just keep in mind that cpu performance suffers, but general games should be a good fit.

Mine craft benefits most from faster hdd/ssd since it's constantly loading blocks. An hdd will suit you fine but if you decided to upgrade in the future then you could enjoy that portion.

As for Windows 7 you will be hard pressed to find that in a new machine. But I believe you can purchase an oem and be good from there while staying in budget

1 - 4 of 4 Posts