Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonder but is there a mechanical keyboard that is about $50? I know about the ibm model m on ebay for $40 but I'm wondering what other options I have in this range. Or should I just go with a normal type (dome?) keyboard?

·
Registered
464 Posts
There are some really good rubber dome keyboards out there. I have the MS Sidewinder X6 and the Sidewinder X4 is very much improved though no volume knob (buttons now) and keypad is non-removable. It's got a pretty nice key feel and response, subtle back lighting and has 26 KRO on USB which is quite a feat.

I got lucky and snagged a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate for $50 from a guy who just bought himself the Stealth version. For a mechanical keyboard you are really looking at $80 and beyond but I'm sure there are good deals to be found, maybe craigslist or someone on this forum?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Another vote for the x4. I don't know if it's a "true" mechanical or not, but it does have high key rollover which makes it great for FPS and MMO.

Media playback buttons, macro keys, adjustable backlighting, and dedicated calculator button (my favorite function heh) are very handy!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingqi53 View Post

Another vote for the x4. I don't know if it's a "true" mechanical or not, but it does have high key rollover which makes it great for FPS and MMO.
Media playback buttons, macro keys, adjustable backlighting, and dedicated calculator button (my favorite function heh) are very handy!
It's a rubber dome but low profile keys and don't taper as much so the keys feel a bit closer together. It has different banks for those macro keys so you get 18 combinations. The keys still feel really good, a bit on the crisp side and I haven't had paint/ key cap wear issues on my Sidewinder X6 that's a little over 2 years old now (could be 3 I'm not sure). Honestly, even though it's a rubber dome type it's still very good for the money. If I hadn't found the Blackwidow Ultimate for $50 I would have a Sidewinder X4 or hold out for CM's new Trigger which sports red LEDs.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The Blackwidow is half the price of the Ultimate one. Also, there's the corsair K60 and K90 to take a look at.
smile.gif

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got some old Compaq MX 11800 brown at my city for 15USD. Hopefully you can get it from ebay.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Double post deleted.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Wintek Blue Alps is nice - feels like an MX Black people have said. Also the Ducky Green Alps / White Alps / Black Alps on pchome are around the 50-60 dollar range and are great.

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,681 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompang View Post

The Wintek Blue Alps is nice - feels like an MX Black people have said. Also the Ducky Green Alps / White Alps / Black Alps on pchome are around the 50-60 dollar range and are great.
I can't find any information on the wintek blue alps. Do you have a link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Who Dat View Post

cm quickfire is awesome for the money. there's an ibm model m in the marketplace that looks to be in fantastic shape for $55 as well. I'd suggest browns to start with. They seem to be a happy medium as far as noise and actuation force goes.
this looks like a decent starter gamer board. not mechanical tho.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0MC08P5894&cm_sp=Spotlight-_-9SIA0MC08P5894-_-05152012
Personally if I could scrounge around $80 I'd be buying the cm quick fire rapid browns.
tongue.gif

The guy selling the ibm model m doesn't ship to me anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts