Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking for help to determine what air cooler would perform best in a NR200.
The official clearance is 155mm. A cooler master rep said that a U12A or Hyper 212 Black would fit.
I have seen a U12A, Hyper 212 Black, Fuma 2, and Frost Spirit 140 fit(middle fan was replaced with a 120).
I'm leaning towards the Frost Spirit 140 but open to suggestions if a better cooler would fit.

Ram: 42mm
Cpu: 3900x
MB: B550i aorus pro ax

Thank you

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,948 Posts
Hello, I'm looking for help to determine what air cooler would perform best in a NR200.
The official clearance is 155mm. A cooler master rep said that a U12A or Hyper 212 Black would fit.
I have seen a U12A, Hyper 212 Black, Fuma 2, and Frost Spirit 140 fit(middle fan was replaced with a 120).
I'm leaning towards the Frost Spirit 140 but open to suggestions if a better cooler would fit.

Ram: 42mm
Cpu: 3900x
MB: B550i aorus pro ax

Thank you
Welcome to OCN. :thumb:

I'm not at my home system. Tomorrow I will figure out what coolers will fit your system.

It would help to have a couple of websites you can buy from for us to select which coolers are best cooling values for your application.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Another vote for fuma 2, but to be honest, and even if i don't like CLC, for the case i would go with a CLC. A 280mm on the side.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Never Finished
2,302 Posts
Ninja 5 or Fuma 2 if it were me, probably Fuma 2 since you'll be able to have a 3 fan stack sandwich with that case exhaust fan. Move the top fan to the top front of the case and set as intake for CPU.

Graphics card will pull air from the bottom and vent out through the side panel. Might be a good idea to get some wood or something to increase the distance from the bottom of the case to the floor/carpet to give more breathing room for the graphics card.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do like the Fuma 2 it made the top 2 before before I asked for help.
1. Frost Spirit 140
2. Fuma 2 was my Original thought. My concern with the Fuma 2 is there will be no room for the rear exhaust fan.

That being said I should give more information on my setup / what I was thinking(it's probably very wrong).
The case will be on a glass desk and the ambient temperature is ≈ 21c. I'll be using the perforated side panel. This gives me a cooler clearance height of 158-159mm
For Fans I was thinking Bottom: 2 slim intake, Top: 2 exhaust, Rear: 1 intake, Front Side: 1 exhaust. My thought process was since this case has no front intake I would reverse it
with cool air coming in from the bottom and the back with it being taken out through the top and front side.

I'm open to suggestions on how to setup the fans if that is horribly wrong.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
26,948 Posts
Thank you,
Amazon, NewEgg, and Aliexpress would all work.
So USA

GA 500I Pro AX has about 105mm center CPU to near side PCIe socket and about 54mm center CPU to near side RAM Plenty of room for most all coolers.

44mm tall RAM (assume this is actual RAM measurement) means RAM stands 47mm above mobo / 39mm above CPU IHS so does limit what coolers will fit.

MasterBox NR200 only has 155mm CPU clearance so many of the best coolers are too tall to fit, and with only 116mm between top of 44mm tall RAM and case even a 120mm fan won't fit over RAM. If 44mm RAM measurement is from motherboard to top of RAM then there is 121mm so 120mm fan might fit, but it will be tight. Does your NR200 have vented left side panel? I would recommend it because rear venting is very limited (maybe flow as much as 2x bottom intakes flow into case). Top vents in without side venting can't really do much if anything. Without left side venting as exhaust with bottom and top as intakes should work quite well. Top intake supply CPU cooler and bottom intakes supply GPU cooler.

Fuma 2 will clear behind RAM (see attached image).

Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 has 120mm front fan. Front of finpack is 60.5mm from center of CPU with notch (see attached image).

Hyper 212 is not near as good a cooler as Frost Spirit 140 or Fuma 2

NH-U12A is probably as good but but costs 50%-100% more, so not worth it to me.

Attachments

·
Never Finished
2,302 Posts
Top and bottom intake with rear and side panel exhaust.

Top intake front fan only since adding a second intake fan on top of cpu cooler usually worsens temps due to pushing exhausted air back into cooler. Not very efficient.

Bottom intake dedicated to graphics card seeing as it's a major obstruction, so it wouldn't be able to help other components in the case. Increasing distance of bottom of case to floor will help with airflow as well.

Vented side panel will help with exhausting graphics card heat. Rear exhaust helping evacuate cpu cooler heat.

·
Premium Member
26,948 Posts
Top and bottom intake with rear and side panel exhaust.

Top intake front fan only since adding a second intake fan on top of cpu cooler usually worsens temps due to pushing exhausted air back into cooler. Not very efficient.

Bottom intake dedicated to graphics card seeing as it's a major obstruction, so it wouldn't be able to help other components in the case. Increasing distance of bottom of case to floor will help with airflow as well.

Vented side panel will help with exhausting graphics card heat. Rear exhaust helping evacuate cpu cooler heat.
I would experiment with 2x vs 2x top intakes. Ideal to me would be CPU cooler turned to draw air from top, but afraid RAM is both too close and too tall for coolers to fit in that orientation.

Quick check of Frost Spirit 140 dimensional drawing:
Thermalright's new Frost Spirit 140 offset base is about 48mm center CPU to outer edge of heatpipe on left side,about 43mm on right side and about 37mm cooler base to bottom of tab sticking down on sides of fins .. about 39.5mm to fins.
Tab is about 45mm above motherboard / about 42mm RAM height. Not sure RAM will fit under fins.
Bottom of fins is 2.5mm higher at 44.5mm.
Back of cooler is 65mm from center cooler base .. so would clear toward GPU no problems as it's​
I' not positive, but my guess is it will fit with only needing to maybe bend or cutt off the little tab sticking below bottom fin (see attached image of mobo with Frost Spirit overlay).​

Edit"
140mm middle fan might need to offset a little bit to clear RAM, but not much.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Here`s my take:
I would use a 240-280mm clc as side intake, intake from the top aswell, and GPU modded with 2x120mm as exhausts, and if there is space even 2x120 by 38 if they fit.

I think optimum tech did something like this in a very similar case, and worked really well.

·
Premium Member
26,948 Posts
Here`s my take:
I would use a 240-280mm clc as side intake, intake from the top aswell, and GPU modded with 2x120mm as exhausts, and if there is space even 2x120 by 38 if they fit.

I think optimum tech did something like this in a very similar case, and worked really well.

Considering Bismal wants air cooling and case can be setup to cool well with vented side cover I see no reason to consider CLCs in this build (or pretty much any build. ;) They cost more money and will be worthless in 3-5 years. With top tier air coolers being $50-60 for one's Bismal is interested in and will cool very well and very quietly quietly. Good air cooler will still be cooling as good as new 5+ years from now with maybe fans beginning to show some wear / need replacing. Besides, using CLC with radiator mounted on side panel means it's going to mean flexing hoses every time case is opened. I suspect that could lead to leaks or even possibly breaking fitting off of rad/waterblock-pump.

While back of case is not airflow friendly, with vented side panel exhaust and top and bottom intakes both CPU and GPU will get plenty of cool intake airflow, and only additional expense is a maybe a few good case fans.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Considering Bismal wants air cooling and case can be setup to cool well with vented side cover I see no reason to consider CLCs in this build (or pretty much any build. ;) They cost more money and will be worthless in 3-5 years. With top tier air coolers being $50-60 for one's Bismal is interested in and will cool very well and very quietly quietly. Good air cooler will still be cooling as good as new 5+ years from now with maybe fans beginning to show some wear / need replacing. Besides, using CLC with radiator mounted on side panel means it's going to mean flexing hoses every time case is opened. I suspect that could lead to leaks or even possibly breaking fitting off of rad/waterblock-pump.

While back of case is not airflow friendly, with vented side panel exhaust and top and bottom intakes both CPU and GPU will get plenty of cool intake airflow, and only additional expense is a maybe a few good case fans.
Ik all the clc disadvantages, but still I don't think there's a way to set that case for air cooling and have similar temps with a atx tower case, which with a clc you totally can.
ITX with cpu air cooling never paired very well.

·
Premium Member
26,948 Posts
Ik all the clc disadvantages, but still I don't think there's a way to set that case for air cooling and have similar temps with a atx tower case, which with a clc you totally can.
ITX with cpu air cooling never paired very well.
I've built a few and know of several other air cooled ITX builds running cool and quiet, several in much smaller cases with much poorer airflow than this MasterBox NR200 has.

So I'm standing by my suggestions to Bismal. NR200 will easily flow more than enough cool air to his coolers, especially with Frost Spirit 140. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts