Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pop'ed my own WC cherry and wanted some candid feedback and ask a few questions of the mob.

Here is my dilemma:

This is where my rig needs to fit. I had a Lian-Li 1200 vII case running a x6800 and GTX 275 all on air, but the back behind the case would get scorching hot. I cut a blow hole and it made it better but not good, and this was stock speeds.

Mod on the desk panel to get air under the bottom and vent out the top and back (700d sucks in cold from bottom and out the top mostly)

I needed to fix this, so I figured if I could switch to liquid and blow 90% of the heat out the top and mod the panel on the desk it would work much better, be quiet (I do a lot of conference calls as I work from home as well as game). here is what I came up with:

Pros:

OC my i7 to 4.25 Ghz stable (8 hours of prime 95)
OC GTX 470 to 870 stable (future mark loop)
Quiet, 6 channel scythe fan controller keeps the Kaze Jyun 1900 rpm fans good and quiet at ~1200 rpm. More RPM doesn't seem to effect temps at all.

Cons:

As soon as I slide it under the desk area per wife faction ("why is your damn puter out in the middle of the room again???") my max temp goes to 99C under 100% load on CPU+GPU (92C on CPU load only). In daily use I don't really max out CPU and GPU concurrently so not sure it is a major problem. Average is 38C idle on CPU and 36C idle on GPU. But I was nervous about getting so close to my Max TJ on the i7 so I backed down my OC to ~3.8 Ghz and GPU to 779Mhz.

Question: Would putting a 140mm rad in the back and/or 140mm rad on the bottom middle panel do much for me considering the space constraints? I know I could even mod the bottom by taking out the 2 drive bays I don't use and putting a 240 in there. Was also wondering about a rad sandwich at the top in either single or double loop.

Current gear:
Intel i7 870 1156
EVGA SC GTX 470
Ausu P7P55D-E Mobo
Swiftech MCP655-B
Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2 reservoir
EK Waterblocks EK-FC470 GTX Nickel Plexi
Danger Den MC-TDX Block for LGA 1156 i7
Swiftech MCR320-QPRad
Primochill ½ x ¾ green tubing
Feser one green coolent
Bitspower ½†stubby barbs
White snap clips
3x Scythe Kaze-Jyun 1900 RPM / 110 CFM fans
6 channel Kaze Pro
2x 140mm Corsair installed fans

I really hate the green and will probably be switching to 7/16" black tubes, black bitspower compression fittings, and either clear or black liquid (hence why I want to call it Black Mamba
)

Thoughts, comments....

I did a lot of reading, but a lot of it conflicts like Swiftech rads are best bang for the buck... no they suck and Feser is better... But I don't know how much better and is .5C worth it? /shrug.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Water cooling uses hoses, and you can use this to your advantage, by moving the heat away from that disaster PC death box you have there. Mount the rad outside of the case and that little box. Maybe put it under the desk? Or you could build a cherry rad enclosure and put in on the desk.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
System looks good, as far as temperature issues the first thing I would recomend is make sure you have all the air out of your system. Once that is done, or if you have done so already, I would drain your coolant and use 'Distilled Water' and a little bit of biocide. You can just go to your local store and get a gallon of distilled water.

Test it out and see if your temperatures improve, which they should. If it isn't low enough then you should start looking at other options.

That rad should be able to handle the cpu/gpu, but you must understand when your overclocking your upping your voltages and that dumps allot more heat into your loop.

First things first, try distilled and then go from there. Now when your just using the computer/gaming or average use, what are the temps getting at?

Also think about your placement of your tower, can you mount it on top of your desk? This would probably help, recycled hot air is still hot air. Putting your tower on top of your desk + distilled water will probably help your situation. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhelanJKell
View Post

the first thing I would recomend is make sure you have all the air out of your system.

Thanks for chiming in!

Yes, I waited until all the little air bubble were out (about 24 hours) and used a flashlight to look through all the tubes and res verifying this before I ran benchmarks. I noticed the air space at the top of the res increased (meaning all the air was accumulating there as is should).

I have Feser-1 coolant in the system now. How much of an improvement do you think I would get by going straight distilled. My wife has gallons of the stuff for use in ironing so I have it on hand but not going to go through the hassle of drain / flush / fill if it is only like 1C delta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhelanJKell
View Post

Now when your just using the computer/gaming or average use, what are the temps getting at?

Thats what I have been thinking about. Looking at Hardware Monitor / Core Temp my min. is ~34C avg. across all cores on CPU and 33C on GPU, max (hit during BF BC2) is ~65C CPU and 56C GPU (at the current 3.8Mhz / 779Mhz OC with 1.35v CPU / IMC and 1.5125v DRAM).

If I bump the OC to 4213Mhz (200x21) and nudge the CPU / IMC voltage to 1.4 and DRAM to 1.65 the idle jumps to ~47C CPU and the max jumps to 81C. Which seems while hot, is still ok since I am well below my Max TJ of 99C.

So I guess that is really where I am going. Does it matter if I hit 99C and the CPU throttles when I am running both Prime 95 small FFT and 3D mark to load everything to 100% since this is unrealistic for real world use. The funny thing is that the system was stable and running even with the CPU hitting 99C (ran this way for about 15min as I stepped out of the room to return to an oven). Of course I stopped everything, dropped the OC back to stock and let it all cool down before I OC'd again.

That brings me to, is it worth it to add more radiators to the system (I could add a 140 on the back, 140 on the middle bottom, and/or add a second 120.3 sandwich either in parallel or serial at the top. There is even enough room to add another 3x 120mm fans if I did a sandwich. But I don't want to drop the cash if again it is going to have a 1C delta.

At the end of the day, quite frankly, I haven't seen a big difference in running my CPU at 3.8Mhz or 4.2Mhz in anything I do. I don't encode DVD's and only do a little photoshop / CAD/CAM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55

Mount the rad outside of the case and that little box. Maybe put it under the desk? Or you could build a cherry rad enclosure and put in on the desk.

I did actually consider getting a MO-RA3 Pro and mounting it on that wood panel between the rig and where my legs would go then run long hoses with quick disconnects to that big motha. But thought that might be a tad overkill. My office is the room next to the front door, so anything that is on the desk or in view from the front door is a wife no-no. And she is preggers with our second kid so I don't mess with her.

Thanks again for the input guys, anything else I could do better I am all ears. This place is great knowledge sharing!

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
You don't necessarily have to buy a new rad, just move your current radiator outside the case and under your desk beside your legs. This is literally a 10 minute job that will drop your temperatures with a 4.5 GHz OC to 75 Load (or less).

Simply attach the one end of the quick disconnects to end of the existing hoses, and then attach two more 1' hoses to the other end. Then connect those hoses to your radiator.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was frustrated that I couldn't keep my OC above 4Ghz when I slide my rig into the wife mandated desk cubby or as charliehorse55 calls it "disaster PC death box you have there." hehe

So I wanted to switch to black tubes, from feser-1 green to pure water w/anti corrosion, and might as well throw a Feser 120mm rad in the mix to maximize my cooling.

The black tubing didn't go so well as you can read here. Love mislabel product. But the new rad went in great.

I couldnt' decide on putting it on the back of the mobo blowing out the back or bottom. Since I have a "death box" I figured it would be better to place it on the bottom /front and suck in the lower ambient temps from the room. I considered modding the bottom, as many have, and dropping a 240 /280 rad in front of the PS, but decided I wanted to use the HDD tray. I want to yank the three 1.5TB drives out of my freenas box and just make them local. Only so much speed over a 1gig network. SataII is much faster and the wife never hits the NAS anyway.

Well thanks to the advice on these forums I am proud to say that while I don't have a clean black on black rig, yet, I did drop my temps ~10c by adding that at the bottom. I think i got a big hit on temps due to the death trap situation and it being low and forward. Not sure it would have made that big a diff if my rig was just out in the open.

Now I am running 4.1Ghz from 3.8 and bumped my GPU from 779c/1558s/1608m to 808c/1616s/1807m. My idle temps didn't move a lot due to the extra OC I am sure, 38c idle but now at 4.1 100% load and higher OC on the GPU max is 78c.

Thank you all again for your input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts