Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Since my 8th AUO monitor turned out to be crap like 7 before him (2 stuck pixels in the middle of screen), I am thinking about getting different approach.

I am thinking about getting second 980Ti for the money that I payed for crap AUO monitors and buying 4K TV to it. Since we were planning to buy new TV with my wife anyway, she will cover half price (plus selling old TV) so it won't be expensive.

Now- can someone reccomend good 55-65" TV for gaming? All I want is 4K and decent gaming on it. Rest extra features are not that important.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You will be underwhelmed with just one 980TI and a 4k TV and will likely be looking for another GPU to SLI in the near future.

Best advice I can give is wait for pascal and DP 1.3. The state of [email protected] gaming is not great compared to [email protected]

Its only 2-4 months away.

I have a few 4k tvs and I always end back up on my 1440p because of how bad 2160p usually runs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yea figure 20-30 fps with a GTX980 at 4k on average. For fun let's estimate the display lag of a 4kTV vs 1080p monitor:
4K TV: 30fps = 33ms + 17ms processing / pixel lag (never seen a TV below 17ms) = 50ms
1080p monitor: 144fps = 7ms + 4ms processing / pixel lag (best case) = 11ms
There will be major persistence blur and stuttering seen with the TV due to the low frame rates.

This 4k TV scales to 1080p with minimal processing, so you get both decent lag and decent framerates:
http://www.displaylag.com/defeat-input-lag-the-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-holiday-2015/
Wish it accepted 120hz input, which would chop off another 8ms and cut persistence blur in half at the same time.
I've only seen one or two TVs that accept 120hz input.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I tried 4k gaming but like he said, the input lag is the worst. My Samsung is 96ms, my acer x34 is 15ms. You can feel the difference big time. Even a regular 60hz PC monitor has way better response time. What are you willing to sacrifice?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said in first post I am considering buying SECOND 980TI. I already have one
smile.gif
. So I will have SLI 980 TI

I don't play competetive FPS games, only Single Player games, RPGs, some MOBAs. I am just considering 4K TV now as quality of new gaming monitors is total crap (since I can't say more vulgar word)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm thoroughly enjoying my 4K Samsung 7500 40". I'm not competitive at all and find 60Hz perfectly adequate for my gaming. The input time on PC mode is also surprisingly good, low 20's I believe.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I do agree that picture and problems are less on the big screens. But they don't have Gsync, which is a HUGE deal. I thought Gsync was a scam until I got a gsync monitor. Now I know I will never buy a pc monitor that I use for gaming without it. It is a GOD SEND for SLI users as it gets rid of almost all noticeable stutter.

Check out the XB280HK and there's a newer one. Maybe the XB281HK but its 28 inch gsync freesync, but it is ACER soo. I had one and loved it but sold it to a friend who now loves it. There is also a 30something inch but its around 1300 and out of your budget I think.

But If you go 4k man, get a pc monitor and not a big screen if you plan to do any gaming on it.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
I just picked up a 4k Vizo tv. I'm running it off a single 980 ti without issue. I'm playing with an Xbone controller which I'd assume you would also.

This TV destroys my Acer, 1440p/144Hz/IPS/Gsync monitor in PQ. No light bleed, deep blacks, great contrast. Playing on it shows you what next gen is really about... Visually.
redface.gif

Now, gameplay wise there is a night and day difference. Gaming on my Acer Gsync feels natural. Games are easy and I feel like a much better gamer. On the TV I have a much more difficult time doing things that were simple for me on the Gsync monitor. Dying light is really giving me issues on the tv compared to monitor.

I'd suggest checking these out at Walmart...

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M43-C1-43-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00T63YUTE

I picked up the 43" model. The Walmart I checked it out at also had the 55", 60", and 65" on display. What attracted me to this TV was the fact that it's rear lit compared to edge lit. This means you shouldn't have things like light bleed. The picture quality on this thing is pretty amazing for the price. It's on par with my plasma in most cases.

There's one huge weakness though. It does not support 4:4:4 chroma at 4k 60Hz. Should only be a deal if you're going to use the TV for work related tasks such as photoshop or word.

*No back light bleed on these guys. (testing out 21:9 1440p UW)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Alot of them are only 4:2:0 especially the cheaper ones. That makes it utterly useless for any fine color desktop application. Alot of text looks blurry where it should be very sharp, especially with 8 million pixels at hand. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Gaming is ok but you can still see 4:2:0 vs 4:4:4 very sharply if you put two identical Tvs side by side to compare.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfordcobra View Post

Alot of them are only 4:2:0 especially the cheaper ones. That makes it utterly useless for any fine color desktop application. Alot of text looks blurry where it should be very sharp, especially with 8 million pixels at hand. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Gaming is ok but you can still see 4:2:0 vs 4:4:4 very sharply if you put two identical Tvs side by side to compare.
If you want to do fine color desktop work or word processing I'd look elsewhere. You want to game and watch movies then this thing is beautiful.

Only real issue I'm having is it's too big for my desk. I really wish they had a 39" or 40" model.

Problem I saw when looking into 4k TV's are many of them are still edge-lit. Basically edge-lit is sucks and you end up with light bleed, clouding, and very poor screen uniformity.

Personally I was willing to sacrifice 4:4:4 for rear lit. Though, I have two computers in my computer room and more monitors then I can fit into my setup. I'm typing this up on my backup rig that now has my XB270HU hooked up to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Now, gameplay wise there is a night and day difference. Gaming on my Acer Gsync feels natural. Games are easy and I feel like a much better gamer. On the TV I have a much more difficult time
I would call that an issue then...but that TV supports 120fps input I think which might fix the gaming problems. But then again, driving 4K at 120fps would require better than 4 GTX980s.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Well 4:2:0 text isn't crisp. I think you would want that for a primary monitor. I have two 4k tvs. One that does 4:4:4 and one that does 4:2:0. I don't play on either. They do look beautiful standing still with not motion but once you get in heave scenes I just can't stand it. I've been playing on 144hz screens for years and now with the x34 its only 100hz and still tell a big difference.

I suppose if you are used to 60hz screens then jumping to 4k is amazing, but if you really buy quality gaming monitors I believe your opinion will differ.

4:2:0 chroma you will experience this: (along with desktop subsampeling that doesn't darken your black text all the way but greys it with grey and yellow)

This is unacceptable (imo I guess) for any primary monitor use. That's why I say get a 4k monitor specifically for PCs and you will not run I to this problem.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PU skunk View Post

I would call that an issue then...but that TV supports 120fps input I think which might fix the gaming problems. But then again, driving 4K at 120fps would require better than 4 GTX980s.
It's 60hz 60fps. True motion may give you 120hz feel for movies but gaming there is no chance getting above 60fps because display port 1.2 doesn't allow it. You may not even have that because all tvs I know of are using HDMI 2.0 and DP is just optimal for now and the future. That's why it's standard on all pc monitors now. HDMI 2.0 will give you 60fps but DP will be compatable for DP 1.3 which WILL allow more bandwidth and more fps.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PU skunk View Post

Well, it depends. In twitch games it's an issue. If you're only playing RPG, mmo, 3rd person then many might not notice. I'm just coming off of gaming monitors and am more sensitive to delay then I once was.

The TV can do 120Hz at 1080p. From what I gathered it should be true 120Hz, but, haven't tested it out yet to confirm or deny.

I own two gaming monitors. XB270HU/1440p/IPS/144Hz/Gsync, and a BenQ/1080p/TN/144Hz. High fps gaming is good, the visual experience is junk. Personally I won't be buying another gaming monitor. I'll leave them for their intended audience.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Now, gameplay wise there is a night and day difference. Gaming on my Acer Gsync feels natural. Games are easy and I feel like a much better gamer. On the TV I have a much more difficult time doing things that were simple for me on the Gsync monitor. Dying light is really giving me issues on the tv compared to monitor.

My thoughts exactly. I had a Samsung 7100 4K 40" tv and used it as a monitor for both work and play. It had 4:4:4 and got great reviews all over the place. But as it was too big for me and I never get used to playing with it I am using now my 27" Acer Predator XB1 and I have become, really, a "much better gamer". I don't know if iit is because of the Gsync, the great refresh rate or/and the 144hz but everything works better than when playing in such a beautiful and big display like the 40" one was.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What about Panasonic 50-55CX700? It supports full 4:4:4 chroma, has great colours and good input lag. I played Battlefront, SWTOR and couple racing games on it so far.. and would recommend it to everyone looking for quality 4K TV for gaming.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insoc View Post

My thoughts exactly. I had a Samsung 7100 4K 40" tv and used it as a monitor for both work and play. It had 4:4:4 and got great reviews all over the place. But as it was too big for me and I never get used to playing with it I am using now my 27" Acer Predator XB1 and I have become, really, a "much better gamer". I don't know if iit is because of the Gsync, the great refresh rate or/and the 144hz but everything works better than when playing in such a beautiful and big display like the 40" one was.
Agreed. I have a 40" Samsung JU6500 and while it looks fantastic displaying still images and the like, I tend to do all my gaming on a 24" BenQ XL2411Z. I was willing to trade screen real estate and image quality for 144hz and low input lag. My gaming, especially FPS, has greatly improved. Now I am tempted to dump both and step up to a 27" with Gsync and sit tight until a true 4k solution comes to market.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier0829 View Post

Agreed. I have a 40" Samsung JU6500 and while it looks fantastic displaying still images and the like, I tend to do all my gaming on a 24" BenQ XL2411Z. I was willing to trade screen real estate and image quality for 144hz and low input lag. My gaming, especially FPS, has greatly improved. Now I am tempted to dump both and step up to a 27" with Gsync and sit tight until a true 4k solution comes to market.
I can recommend you, without any hesitations, the Acer XB1. It's really the best monitor I've had and I've had quite a few. I just wish it was a little more bigger and it's why now I'm looking for the X34. And one interesting fact: my XB1 is actually incredible great playing with my PS4 hooked up. Of course, I know I'm limited to just 60hz and no Gsync but even then the games run remarkably smooth, so much that it remind me, for the first time, those days when I played in the early 90s with my CRT tv with the additional plus of the beautiful IPS colors.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Problem with IPS is they have terrible contrast. People will pick out the screen with the best contrast as being the better looking screen every time. IPS are good at what they're good at and terrible at what they're bad at. Most overrated display type there is. TV reviews shoot IPS screens down quickly. For some reason they're the current go to on monitors. They need to start making gaming monitors rear-lit VA until OLED becomes more affordable.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts