Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a video card to support 3 monitors. My limit is no more than $360 but if possible I'd prefer a card in the $250-$300 price range.

I understand that Nvidia is more expensive when going with a 3 monitor setup but I could more than likely go SLI in the future with whatever card I end up getting. It kinda depends on what Nvidia has to offer over AMD.

I've been looking at the gtx 560 and gtx 570. The gtx 560, particularly for the price and what it has to offer. However it only has 1gb ram and I'd have to buy 2 for ~$520. The GTX 570 has more ram and is a better card but to support 3 monitors I'll also need to buy 2 for like ~$710 and that is fairly expensive!

AMD definitely seems to be the cheaper route. I don't exactly know much about ATI however.

Like I said I don't know much about AMD cards but i've been looking at the 6950. I understand the 6950 can be unlocked to a 6970 which is nice. However i'd probably get the MSI card due to the upgraded cooling and from what I've read you can't unlock that card.

My Hardware...

i7-2600k
650w PSU (I understand I'll need a larger PSU for dual GPU's)
Gigabyte P67 UD5
8gb RipjawX Ram
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
you have to make sure the card will unlock though, because they released a revised PCB that won't unlock because the hardware isn't actually there anymore.
 

·
Performance is the bible
Joined
·
7,200 Posts
Also I don't know which monitors you plan to run and which resolution, but note that a single card, even the most AMD high end you can get for that money, won't give the best performance eyefinity wise.
Eyefinity is extremely demanding and you will be pushing it with a single card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
5870 Eyefinity
wink.gif
Then crossfire it when you have enough money... that is my game plan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm leaning towards the 6970 or the 6950. 6950 particularly because it can be unlocked to 6970. And the 6970 cause then I could get a non reference card with 6970 power.

6950 definately seems like the better deal and i'd probably end up getting two down the road. I'll most likely want to go with the twin frozr III but then I lose unlocking capability but I'll be able to overclock higher than most cards in theory...

I'm not exactly sure about monitors atm. Definately 1080p though. Probably around 21-23" with hdmi. 60hz refresh.

Sent from my 1.8Ghz HTC Evo Shift using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler;13082693
Also I don't know which monitors you plan to run and which resolution, but note that a single card, even the most AMD high end you can get for that money, won't give the best performance eyefinity wise.
Eyefinity is extremely demanding and you will be pushing it with a single card.
Although it depends on the resolution, the games...and what one is prepared to sacrifice for higher FOV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
people are leaving out a very important feature that the unlockable 6950 has which is having 2 GB or ram, more ram means u can run on a larger resolution. 2GB for eyefinity is definitely better than any nvidia card that has only 1 gb without eyefinity support. 2GB 6950 was always voted as the best bang for the buck for a 280-300 dollar GPU so 6950 no doubt is the best choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SHMaRiM
View Post

I'm leaning towards the 6970 or the 6950. 6950 particularly because it can be unlocked to 6970. And the 6970 cause then I could get a non reference card with 6970 power.

6950 definately seems like the better deal and i'd probably end up getting two down the road. I'll most likely want to go with the twin frozr III but then I lose unlocking capability but I'll be able to overclock higher than most cards in theory...

I'm not exactly sure about monitors atm. Definately 1080p though. Probably around 21-23" with hdmi. 60hz refresh.

Sent from my 1.8Ghz HTC Evo Shift using Tapatalk

Get the 6970, for the extra $100 it is a HUGE upgrade going to 2GB DDR5 over 1GB DDR5. The AMD 69xx series cards support eyefinity right out of the box, in fact a Mini DP to DVI adapter comes in the box.

I plan on running two Sapphire Radeon HD6970's in crossfire in the near future which at this point in time that setup would beat out the best video cards on the market.

The other problem with the 6950's now a days are like someone else said there is no guarantee it will unlock, although you can overclock it to the same stock speed as the 6970 but then again you will always only have 1GB DDR5 memory on it.

Stick with the 6970 IMO but make sure it is reference.

This is the card I got

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-915-_-Product

 

·
PC Enthusiast
Joined
·
3,511 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mojosephwu
View Post

people are leaving out a very important feature that the unlockable 6950 has which is having 2 GB or ram, more ram means u can run on a larger resolution. 2GB for eyefinity is definitely better than any nvidia card that has only 1 gb without eyefinity support. 2GB 6950 was always voted as the best bang for the buck for a 280-300 dollar GPU so 6950 no doubt is the best choice.

the GTX 480 and 580 both have 1,5Gb Vram, some editions even has 3Gb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12;13085553
Get the 6970, for the extra $100 it is a HUGE upgrade going to 2GB DDR5 over 1GB DDR5. The AMD 69xx series cards support eyefinity right out of the box, in fact a Mini DP to DVI adapter comes in the box.

I plan on running two Sapphire Radeon HD6970's in crossfire in the near future which at this point in time that setup would beat out the best video cards on the market.

The other problem with the 6950's now a days are like someone else said there is no guarantee it will unlock, although you can overclock it to the same stock speed as the 6970 but then again you will always only have 1GB DDR5 memory on it.

Stick with the 6970 IMO but make sure it is reference.
This 6950 isn't unlockable but it can be overclocked like you said and it has 2gb DDR5... So Idk what you mean when you say the 6950 can be overclocked but still only has 1gb DDR5?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127575
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pangeltveit;13085713
the GTX 480 and 580 both have 1,5Gb Vram, some editions even has 3Gb
yea but im talking about the GPU in the 250-300 price range, i know there are nvidia cards that have more than 1 GB but they usually cosy more just like the 580 which cost around 400-500 dollar. of course the 3 GB ones are gonna be even more expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac;13086719
Palit also makes a 560 with 2GB vRAM. Too bad more companies aren't making 2GB 560's.
frown.gif
but does not come with eyefinity support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top