Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HP laptop finally bit the dust, it overheated the AC connector inside the laptop, so it can't charge anymore. Oh well, I've had so many problems with this laptop, it's tl;dr. So, I'm looking for a new laptop, not immediately now, but perhaps sometime in the next 8 months. I'm looking for a laptop that has decent cooling by itself, is somewhat DIY, has great customer support, and isn't hp. My target right now is ~$1000, but could change.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ASUS' N series would be a good place to start for your price range (e.g. the N61Ja and N73Jf, generally good reviews to date). Which is more important, gaming or battery life?

Edit: Would go for a i5 laptop myself - better battery life and less heat. ASUS also incorporate Optimus technology into some of their laptops, which will also help.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Asus. If I were you though, I'd spend some extra money and switch out the HDD to another HDD or SDD because it comes with a lot of bloatware. You'll have to get a new OS too but its well worth it. Better than spending your time uninstalling bloatware.

·
Registered
392 Posts
go with ASUS , they are the highest quality laptop brand out there.they are even better in apple in quality
they are also good for gaming but you will have a weak battery life but thats not a surpise because they offer very good performance laptops.

and btw i cant stand hp. i have a hp laptop now and its nothing but trouble.and ur not the first that i have heard that his hp laptop died. i know 4 people that own hp laptops and all of them had problems : 1 died,2 of them battery died + 2 of them have screen problems thats including mine

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Apple is crap. They use cheap parts and then overprice their stuff.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Who knows. I never really payed attention to that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
Question, can you do much by yourself with ASUS laptops, ex. getting access to CPU and motherboard without having to tear the entire laptop apart?
That's asking a lot of any laptop manufacturer. Why the CPU and motherboard? 'Upgradability'?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keehar View Post
That's asking a lot of any laptop manufacturer. Why the CPU and motherboard? 'Upgradability'?
Perhaps, and I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm actually more concerned about the build of the laptop itself. After having too many overheating problems, I need a laptop that has a somewhat good cooling system without the need of a additional fan.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Asus's gaming series has really nice cooling capabilities especially the G73Jq/w laptops. They're just really expensive. One model has NVIDIA graphics, a GF460M and the other one has ATI mobility graphics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts