Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to keep my vista 32bit machine for older games at 1600p, the most demanding game I have is Crysis. I have tried the GTX970 & while it was 'just' enough for good framerate maxed graphics with stock CPU, there are issues with aero & bugs in the control panel with color settings not staying the same. Plus some older games like Far Cry having texture issues. And no support for vista from nvidia.

So looking at some suggestions preferable AMD cards that are guaranteed to work on vista & give the same performance as a GTX970-980. If possible?

I have tried sites to compare specs but I don't really understand

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Is keeping Vista a must? Most Vista games like GTA IV played perfectly fine on Windows 7. It's allot cheaper to change OS than buying a new GPU because of a crappy EOL OS.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded War View Post

Is keeping Vista a must? Most Vista games like GTA IV played perfectly fine on Windows 7. It's allot cheaper to change OS than buying a new GPU because of a crappy EOL OS.
I understand hanging onto an old OS that is working well for you, but I think you will be happy with the change to Windows 7...

I agree with @Shaded War that you'd be better off moving on from vista (even if it has been doing well for you so far) isntead of trying to bring that system up to date, which will be fighting in a losing battle.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still want to keep this machine as It has all the old games ready to go, many are heavily patched, moded etc. If I ever build another system, it will not include many of them as some games I have don't even run on windows 7.

I will wait for some older GPU suggestions that are on par with GTX970 performance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
For the GPU I would get a GTX 950 (great performance, low power) or a R7 250X or a 750 ti (good performance, low price).
Both of these are better than HD 530 graphics, which make them very appropriate for 1600x900 gaming.
And I think you should step up to Windows 7 as well. I had an attachment to Windows XP, but I just had to let it go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts