Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanna get some feedback from others who have run the Athlon x3 450 to see what can be done with one. Ive got mine at 3.5 GHz now...any tips or warnings? Temps dont go beyond 60c with stock cooler.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
see if you can unlock it to an x4

your ram, 1333 could limit your overclocking

if you have the stock cooler you wont be able to oc much anyway
watch the temps, max is 75c
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=718&f1=AMD+Athlon%e2%84%a2+II+X3&f2=&f3=&f4=512&f5=AM3&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=4000&f10=False&f11=False&f12=True

its not a black edition, so you cant up the cpu multi
just oc with the bus speed, bring it from 200 to 205 and see how things go

use cpuz to verify oc
hwmonitor to watch temps
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares.html

prime95 to test stability and check max temps
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can unlock it to an x4 but when I run prime worker 4 immediately stops working. Any ideas? Ive currently got the freq to 220 from 200 and the cpu voltage at 1.3875 from 1.3575..ran prime for 12 hours no issues..hottest it got was 63c I do need to upgrade my cooling system. Any ideas on a solid air cooling system? And any with blue LED's?
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
amd says 1.4 is max voltage, you might be able to go higher with a good cooler

more core voltage = more stable at higher speeds and higher temps
what error did prime95 give when a core stopped?

bring the ram down to 800 and test to see if thats whats limiting it

212+ is a great budget cooler, n520 or a50 are great also

if you want blue, look for led case fans, you can get them for around $4-10 ea
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0335869

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all ive done as far as ram goes is increased the voltage to 1.55v from 1.50v. My stock NB voltage is 1.1750...what increments should I go in as far as raising the NB voltage?

·
OG AMD
8,923 Posts
You need to disable that faulty core,atleast untill you get better cooling and can overvolt it enough.CPU should take 1.55v,CPU-NB 1.45v,HTT 1.35v.Not before better cooling though-60c is too hot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet thank you! I like what you've done with your Athlon x3... didn't think that was even possible haha

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwoodz
View Post

You need to disable that faulty core,atleast untill you get better cooling and can overvolt it enough.CPU should take 1.55v,CPU-NB 1.45v,HTT 1.35v.Not before better cooling though-60c is too hot.

TDP on 95w AMDs is 70c, so 60c is OK. Don't want to go any higher though.

• Rep+
Reactions: BrentCrow88

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive been researching after market cpu coolers and im thinking about giving the corsair h70 liquid cooler a shot...seems to have good reviews and looks good as well. I brought my cpu and card back to stock speeds and I currently idle at 37c cpu temp and about 39 sys temp....Before I had my video card I had 32c cpu and 29c sys...you think by running a liquid cooled set up that will help my sys temp as well? I can understand my card bringing temps up since it is another heat producing component inside my case...but why so high?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this processor and ended up going with a Corsair H50. I had a hard time finding an after market cooler that was decent enough to fit in my case. With this cooler I was able to over clock it to 3.7. Idle temps are around 14-18 deg. At full load temps are around 42-49 deg. Prior to that with the stock cooler and no OC it was idling at 35 deg and load was in the 50s.

I was not able to unlock the 4th core. I'm pretty happy with the results I am getting now with the new cooler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea im sure the H70 is overkill...but I bought it today
smile.gif
Ive got my CPU OC'd to 3.8 and I havent gone over 47c..idle at 28c and its hot in my room. I am extremely pleased with this cooler. I hit 4.0GHz earlier put Prime failed after about 2 mins.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive slowly increased my voltage and with every increase I am running stable a bit longer. Im currently trying to make 4ghz stable with it as a tricore. Cant seem to get it to work though...I can get it to boot with voltage at 1.45 and NB volt at 1.875...other numbers I should be toying with..someone said to increase my HTT but I dont have that option in BIOS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts