Overclock.net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I ended up returning the Genius 4500s. Not because I got the impression they were bad quality, only because they didn't really sound much better than my X-540s (something which I was absolutely floored by - my current $80 Logitech x-540s which are years old sounding as good as a brand new set of $150 speakers?) Anyway, I'm in the market again, and this time I'm definitely asking for advice. I think my last choice was a bad one. I'm looking for a new set of speakers now. My budget is around $230 (that price is not fixed, I'm willing to deviate a bit if someone has a really good suggestion). Here are my only requirements:

- The brand name of the speakers is reputable (at least decent quality).

- The set is a good upgrade\will actually sound better than my Logitech x-540s.

- The set is 5.1 (wouldn't be much of an upgrade going from my x-540s which are 5.1 to some 2.1 channel speakers.

I use my computer's speakers primarily for music and TV; mostly 2.1 channel content, though I do play a few games and watch the occasional movie as well (thus why I'm looking for 5.1).

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simek View Post

Hi all,

I ended up returning the Genius 4500s. Not because I got the impression they were bad quality, only because they didn't really sound much better than my X-540s (something which I was absolutely floored by - my current $80 Logitech x-540s which are years old sounding as good as a brand new set of $150 speakers?) Anyway, I'm in the market again, and this time I'm definitely asking for advice. I think my last choice was a bad one. I'm looking for a new set of speakers now. My budget is around $230 (that price is not fixed, I'm willing to deviate a bit if someone has a really good suggestion). Here are my only requirements:

- The brand name of the speakers is reputable (at least decent quality).

- The set is a good upgrade\will actually sound better than my Logitech x-540s.

- The set is 5.1 (wouldn't be much of an upgrade going from my x-540s which are 5.1 to some 2.1 channel speakers.

I use my computer's speakers primarily for music and TV; mostly 2.1 channel content, though I do play a few games and watch the occasional movie as well (thus why I'm looking for 5.1).
In terms of sound quality a 2.1 set will be better than a 5.1 at that price range.

That being said I don't think you will be able to find a better 5.1 set for that price. You could build a cheap 5.1 with better sound quality, but you would need a receiver with either HDMI input or 5.1 RCA inputs. 3 sets of Dayton B652. One set for front, another for rear, and one single speaker for center. A Dayton Sub-1000 or Pioneer SW8.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts