Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has tried out any silent PWM fans. I'm really looking for some not too expensive (<$15/ea) PWM fans for my server. I'll need a 120mm and an 80mm.

I was thinking about trying the Scythe Kama, but see that there is a slipstream version out now too... but Scythe doesn't seem to have an 80mm version.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by corky dorkelson View Post
Gelid makes some great PWM fans.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/fn-px12-15-56270.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gelid-Silent-8PW...20196004r21323

Hard to find, though.

Never heard of that fan, the specs look decent... except it doesn't look to spin under 750RPM... making me wonder if it'll have problems starting at low speed. Also, specs don't mean too much for fans either...

The stock fan spins at about 600RPM, which is fairly quiet, but it doesn't push a lot of air and thus the cpu sit about 70-75 degrees, way too hot. So I'm looking for a quiet fan that will push a bit more air to replace it and I'll add an 80mm fan on the opposite side as intake. This fan will be soft mounted.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
Never heard of that fan, the specs look decent... except it doesn't look to spin under 750RPM... making me wonder if it'll have problems starting at low speed. Also, specs don't mean too much for fans either...

The stock fan spins at about 600RPM, which is fairly quiet, but it doesn't push a lot of air and thus the cpu sit about 70-75 degrees, way too hot. So I'm looking for a quiet fan that will push a bit more air to replace it and I'll add an 80mm fan on the opposite side as intake. This fan will be soft mounted.
Well, all I can say is that my friend has a 92mm Gelid, and going full-tilt at 100% it is still almost silent, and it moves a fair amount of air. Really, in my experience, most PWM fans are pretty wimpy. Using a low speed yate loon at 100% often gets the job done much cheaper, with similar noise output.

And as far as the slipstream fans are concerned, I use them and love them. But the only application they are any good at is exhaust. And even then, they like having nothing in way. In both my HTPC and my sig rig I am running the fastest slipstreams with the cases grilles cut out. Paired with a basic fan controller (or 7v mod) they move a good amount of air for the noise level they produce.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to go the 'safe' route and order a pair of Scythe Kama PWM fans. They seem to be the most popular 'reasonably priced' PWM fans at SPCR.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

I decided to go the 'safe' route and order a pair of Scythe Kama PWM fans. They seem to be the most popular 'reasonably priced' PWM fans at SPCR.
How did they work out?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
How did they work out?
the 92mm one didn't like being suspended horizontally and vibrated a bit
Other than that they were both fairly quiet all things considered. I swapped them for a Noctua 140mm fan over the weekend... not sure what I'll be doing with the scythe pwm fans though...

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Ah, that Noctua 140mm. Quite the fan.

If you ever go looking for quiet PWM fans again, do check out the Akasa Apache and the Enermax Cluster. Quiet but do not, perhaps, have the CFM's of the Noctua.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at the akasa, but it wasn't in stock when I ordered. The Enermax I haven't seen much about... Almost nothing on SPCR

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Quote:

I looked at the akasa, but it wasn't in stock when I ordered. The Enermax I haven't seen much about... Almost nothing on SPCR
I would probably go with something that doesn't have a sleeve bearing if you're looking for the quietest. The reason I suggested the Artic Cooling 12025PWM fans is because they use fluid dynamic bearings, not sleeve or ball bearings. It's also the reason I ended up buying them when I was looking for the quietest PWM fans. It doesn't hurt that they're very affordable as well, in case they weren't as good as I had hoped.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pat_laughner
View Post

I'd recommend the Noctua NF-S12B FLX. It's not PWM, but it has several adapters for speed variable. Noctua really makes some incredible fans.

http://geeksmack.net/index.php/hardw...-flx-120mm-fan

doesn't really apply to our conversation, plus that fan is not good in a 'need pressure' environment

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am using Nexus Quiet 82mm PWM Cooling Fan.The fan has an extra big fan speed range.This fan provides massive air flow at full speed in case thing get too hot. Great control over a massive RPM range.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since the thread has been bumped I figure I'll post an update. The Scythe PWM fans were great, They lowered the noise over the stock fan but didn't really improve cooling while also being silent. Great fans, but not as quiet as I had wanted. I'm currently running a Noctua 140mm fan on the lowest setting. The Scythe fans are currently in the FS section for anyone looking for a good deal on pretty much new fans.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Quote:

Since the thread has been bumped I figure I'll post an update. The Scythe PWM fans were great, They lowered the noise over the stock fan but didn't really improve cooling while also being silent. Great fans, but not as quiet as I had wanted. I'm currently running a Noctua 140mm fan on the lowest setting. The Scythe fans are currently in the FS section for anyone looking for a good deal on pretty much new fans.
I loaded my system up with 4 Gelid fans. Man, those things are awesome. They make a 140mm fan but I isn't sold in the states.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts