Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello After beating the crap out of my old aged D-link DIR-655 router which got on my nerves with constant 24/7 wired connection slow speeds and wireless drops ( no more warranty and spending over a month trying to fix ) i decided to just get a new one.

I use wired connection on my main pc but i have a lot of people in my apartment using wireless now so i need something that will not drop connection and won't require reboots after a lot of people using network like my old crappy D-link. ( i have 3 tv using roku + 3 laptops +2 consoles +2 phones +etc random stuff )

my budget currently is no more than 200 and a sweet spot would be 100-150'ish. I would also like a dual band router since i have a lot of old stuff and new stuff around the apartment.

Any suggestions or foot in the right direction for anything well known, user friendly and specially the one most important part "STABLE" is immensely appreciated.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Depends on budget, TP-Link Archer C7-C9 or Netgear Nighthawk. I still own a DIR-655, great work horse and it's still alive. Funny that they just put a wireless mini pcie card in the router and call it good. I replaced the card inside and my router worked much better than the stock one that was in there.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Asus RT-AC68U vs ASUS RT-N66U vs Netgear nighthawk what do you say about these 3 routers?

is nighthawk worth extra money?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlkaiser View Post

Asus RT-AC68U vs ASUS RT-N66U vs Netgear nighthawk what do you say about these 3 routers?

is nighthawk worth extra money?
100% pass on the Asus Darkknight router. My brother sent that thing back 3 times, 3 times Asus sent it back and said nothing was wrong. The router drop signals a lot and timed out and a connection would never stay connected for very long. That router is terrible, Asus RMA and support is terrible. My brother had to go back to my DIR-655 router for wireless connections to stay connected. I would go with Nighthawk anyday over Asus.

TP-Link Archer C9 has not let me down yet, I have not restarted this router for a very long time now. No dropped connections, no poor connections, no problems yet. I play games daily on wireless without cables and no lag or speed problems ever. But my brother didn't want to spend extra money on the Nighthawk. Go Nighthawk.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Currently using 2x Archer C9's and an edgerouter X, works pretty fantastically, have not had any problems since initial setup about 6 months ago

• Rep+
Reactions: KingAlkaiser

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you very much for recommendations guys i am very grateful sorry for long reply i had no internet after my router completely died on me recently lol.

how is that TP link company i have never heard of them before but a lot of people keep recommending .

is this the archer c9?
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Wireless-Gigabit-Archer-C9/dp/B00PDLRHFW

120 bucks dang whats the catch why is this so dam cheap anyways.

P.S- that nighthawk x4 does not have MU-MIMO only the new version called x4s seems to support it unless i am incorrect.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlkaiser View Post

thank you very much for recommendations guys i am very grateful sorry for long reply i had no internet after my router completely died on me recently lol.

how is that TP link company i have never heard of them before but a lot of people keep recommending .

is this the archer c9?
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Wireless-Gigabit-Archer-C9/dp/B00PDLRHFW

120 bucks dang whats the catch why is this so dam cheap anyways.

P.S- that nighthawk x4 does not have MU-MIMO only the new version called x4s seems to support it unless i am incorrect.
That is the Archer C9, and I've seen it dip down to about $100 at times. I have been using them for a while and have not found any catches, they perform great and I have had zero problems.
Devices running off of the C9's:
Galaxy S7
Galaxy S6
Galaxy S5
iPhone 6s+
iPhone 6
iPad 2
MacBook Pro 2011
Aorus X7v2
Retina MacBook Pro (2015)
cheap HP laptop X2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts