Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This doesn't need to be anything special or really powerful. I'm rebuilding a PC for my Mom and my little sister(15 y/o) will be using it too. My Mom is mostly going to be using it for school as she is back in college. She will mainly be using the internet and Microsoft Office. My sister mostly plays The Sims 3 on it and will be playing Sims 4 on it when Mom gets it for her. So the build just needs a GPU capable of running those games and some other games that aren't really very graphically demanding. I'm not looking to spend anymore than $100 and would prefer cheaper. So the maximum budget is $100 including shipping.

I was thinking something along the lines of the 500, 600 or 700 series, but nothing higher than X50(750, 650, 550). Something even lower than the 750, like the GT series GPUs such as maybe the 720, 730, or 740. Even a lower end GPU would be more than enough like the 620, 630, or 640.

The recommended system requirements for the Sims 4 for the GPU is GTX650 or better. They really don't need that powerful of a GPU, they can just set the quality settings lower in the games. There are just so many models to pick from that I am having a hard time picking one as I want to get my money's worth and don't want to need to upgrade the GPU again in a year or two.

The specs of the PC are:

EVGA 680i SLI
Intel E6300(might upgrade a little)
Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD boot drive
1TB Seagate 7200.12 for storage
4x1GB DDR2-800MHz RAM
Antec EA-500(Earthwatts)
CD/DVD/BD reader
CD/DVD writer
Windows 7 on SSD

I want it to be nVidia of course and I also want it to be an EVGA. It would be nice if it had 2GB VRAM and at least a 128-Bit memory interface and it obviously doesn't need to be PCI Express 3.0, just PCI Express x16

EDIT: Are the EVGA GT 740 GPU's a good choice for my needs for this build? I'm starting to lean towards this one, but I just want some opinions from others too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I put the EVGA 750 (non-ti) in a build for my parents and it worked out great. They too play simple games on it. But, when my family comes over for our regular Sunday dinner, many of us even take turns playing some more modern games on it. Mainly racing like Grid 2, Dirt 3, Dirt Showdown, etc. It plays those games at high and very high at 1920 x 1200.

You can grab the EVGA 750 for $120 on Newegg, $99 after MiR. It's a great card for the price, though, that's just about what I paid a year ago when it came out... I think I saw some other versions of the 750 for $100 even if you didn't have to have EVGA.

The 740 also sounds like it would fit the bill too. I just like the 750 a tad better because it can play a more demanding game if you needed it too. The 740 has 200 fewer cores and ddr3 vram. The 750 has 512 cores and full GDDR5 vram. Performance difference would be fair.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get what you are saying, but I think they will be pleased with the 740 considering they are coming from 2x 7600GT in SLI. LMAO
Thanks for confirming my choice as the right thing to do.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Volker View Post

I get what you are saying, but I think they will be pleased with the 740 considering they are coming from 2x 7600GT in SLI. LMAO
Thanks for confirming my choice as the right thing to do.
I think the 740 is an excellent choice for daily computing and some very mild gaming. Glad I could help shed some light. Good luck with the upgrades.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for your insight. I've never really dealt with lower-end GPU's. For my rigs I went for 470/480, 570/580, 670, and now EVGA 750 Ti FTW until the newest and best Maxwell 800 series comes out this year. My budget always made my decision for me between the X70(such as 570) or X80(580) models.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Volker View Post

Thanks a lot for your insight. I've never really dealt with lower-end GPU's. For my rigs I went for 470/480, 570/580, 670, and now EVGA 750 Ti FTW until the newest and best Maxwell 800 series comes out this year. My budget always made my decision for me between the X70(such as 570) or X80(580) models.
Newest and best Maxwell 800 series? Aren't they the 900 series and already out? The 950 is pretty nice and the 960 (Ti) should be a very nice card though I am waiting for the Titan 2 / 980 Ti.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm actually getting the EVGA GT 740 FTW for $64.99 brand new. I never said anything about $100 for a GT 740 and the GTX 750 would be way overkill for my Mom's PC. The EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW is what I use in my rig right now.

I guess they skipped the 800 series completely and took Maxwell to the 900 series? I've been very sick with Pancreatic Tumors for a while now and haven't been keeping up on this stuff how I used to.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
800 series is a mobile series, all the GPU's with 800 SKU are for mobile only.

I would not get a GT 740. It is a rebrand of the GT 640 and quite frankly a poor excuse of a card if you plan to do any sort of gaming. A GTX 750 will be 100% faster or more depending on the game and settings used.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hey I'm looking myself into second hand cards for a build myself, After some research I'm actually looking for a second hand GTX 650ti boost. It just about outperforms the 750ti as well as the AMD 260x in most games, although newer games are preferring Maxwell for whatever reason and at double the TDP of the 750/ti if that's important to you.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1040?vs=1130 Vs 750ti on Anand

I can pick up a 2nd hand one from Ebay U.K for about 50 GBP however. Sorry to hear about your illness, all the best.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input and that great offer, but I went ahead and ordered the EVGA GTX 740 FTW GPU for my Mom and sister's PC. It was on sale for $74.99 with free shipping and an extra $10 MIR so I really couldn't pass it up considering it is an $89-$99 card and is actually a lot better than what they needed. They could have easily gotten by with a GTX 720 1GB for at least a couple or years so I thnk I did good.

Searching for a GPU for this build makes me want to start searching for a new GPU for mine to upgrade from my EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW Edition. This GTX 750 Ti has been a great GPU for me. I think it is the best chioce I've made in new GPU's for quite some time now. I would almost hate to get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Fair enough man, I'm still deciding what to do myself as I'm putting together a little itx build and I've been looking at both the 750ti and 750 as I want to avoid as much heat as possible from the GPU obvs and I'm trying to keep as cheap as possible. May well still go that way but those 650ti boosts half the price second hand and similar performance are tempting just thought I'd share the idea..
cheers.gif

·
I fix Stuff
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

800 series is a mobile series, all the GPU's with 800 SKU are for mobile only.

I would not get a GT 740. It is a rebrand of the GT 640 and quite frankly a poor excuse of a card if you plan to do any sort of gaming. A GTX 750 will be 100% faster or more depending on the game and settings used.
FYI 640 is not completely identical to the 740. Very similar but the GDDR5 version of the 740 is 128bit memory bus where as the GDDR5 of the 640 is only 64bit.
GT 640 spec> http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt640/specifications
GT 740 spec> http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-740/specifications

I do believe the 640 needs to be GDDR5 version to support more than 2 displays as well where as the 740 both versions support 3 displays.
if memory serves me right, "because nvidia does not mention on spec page" the 640 is fermi architecture and 740 is either keplar or maxwell, someone please enlighten me if i am way off on this.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderTheGoober View Post

FYI 640 is not completely identical to the 740. Very similar but the GDDR5 version of the 740 is 128bit memory bus where as the GDDR5 of the 640 is only 64bit.
GT 640 spec> http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt640/specifications
GT 740 spec> http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-740/specifications

I do believe the 640 needs to be GDDR5 version to support more than 2 displays as well where as the 740 both versions support 3 displays.
if memory serves me right, "because nvidia does not mention on spec page" the 640 is fermi architecture and 740 is either keplar or maxwell, someone please enlighten me if i am way off on this.
They are both Kepler GPU's, not Fermi or Maxwell. Having GDDR5 is not going to affect whether a GPU can use 2 or 3 displays. A bonus of Kepler over Fermi is Kepler was able to support more than 2 displays on a single GPU, I have a GT 640 DDR3 version at work and can confirm it will run 3 display so long as it's not Windows XP.

They are purely identical aside from the 128-bit only on the GDDR5 version of the 740. It is not a meaningful change and is still pretty bad for the price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts