Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered an XFX Radeon 7970 Black Edition a couple of weeks ago and things didn't work out. I filled out my RMA with Newegg to send it back to them today. The card suffered from so many flaws that it wasn't even usable. I'll be getting a $400 refund from them and I'm willing to tack on another $100 on top of that for a card that will really excel.

Also, I want to make sure that the card I get is a reference card. In addition to the performance flaws of the XFX card, I got the model with two DVI ports that isn't reference. The desire for a reference design is based on me wanting to install a waterblock once I know that the card is stable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I really like the GTX 670 FTW's that I have in SLI. I picked mine up for about $350 each from Newegg during a sale they had.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're making the assumption that the AMD drivers are solid though. I can't be certain that the issues I experienced with my newly RMA'd card were fully the fault of the card or if some of it was the driver.

·
r/madlads
8,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prentice View Post

We're making the assumption that the AMD drivers are solid though. I can't be certain that the issues I experienced with my newly RMA'd card were fully the fault of the card or if some of it was the driver.
If there was really a problem with the drivers i wouldn't be talking a inch of AMD. And yes, this is the reason why i don't buy XFX.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've had good luck with Sapphire when I had reference 7970s. The MSI Twin Frozr models are pretty popular as well and I believe there are waterblocks for those ones.

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prentice View Post

The desire for a reference design is based on me wanting to install a waterblock once I know that the card is stable.
If you prefer to stick with AMD, the Diamond 7970 (reference) is rock solid. 5yr warranty after registering it & they provide good support
thumb.gif

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really have no allegiance to AMD. I'm just looking for the absolute best video card and performance in the price range.

·
Premium Member
20,302 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Because I bought them before the 6970 (even though when first released the 570 traded blows and was 50 less) was even released and have zero reason to upgrade cards at this point. However I have no loyalty to either brand. I buy what I feel is the best bang for my buck, period. Right now AMD is on top aside from the titan. But that's not a bang for the buck kind of card IMO. Notice they are both evga lifetime warranty, 1 week turnaround cards though
wink.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts