Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pic of my current setup. Please ignore the crappy hose clamp as a replacement is already on the way.
In my constant endeavor to improve anything I can, I am looking for suggestions to improve my setup. One specific question I have is, is there any flow improvement to be had by moving the res higher? Any suggestions are very welcome.

Current Loop:
MCP655 with EK TOP
Black Ice xflow 360 rad
D-TEK cpu block
EVGA GTX 480 HC block
1/2" ID Tubing

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,085 Posts
moving your res won't make your flow any better or worse, only way to improve ( purely aesthetic ) is to pick up some angled fittings so you could use a little less tubing going from cpu to gpu. other then that i can't tell because of that craptastic picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by JE Nightmare View Post
moving your res won't make your flow any better or worse, only way to improve ( purely aesthetic ) is to pick up some angled fittings so you could use a little less tubing going from cpu to gpu. other then that i can't tell because of that craptastic picture.

Yea...gotta love the astonishingly craptastic quality of the Iphone 3gs camera.....
 

·
Village Idiot
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Better/more radiator. The xflow isn't exactly the pinnacle of PC radiator performance and with a quad + GTX 480 dumping heat into your loop you would certainly benefit from a second radiator unless you're running 3000rpm fans or something insane.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,301 Posts
The only thing I can see that you could improve is the CPU block; that D-Tek is very outdated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
Better/more radiator. The xflow isn't exactly the pinnacle of PC radiator performance and with a quad + GTX 480 dumping heat into your loop you would certainly benefit from a second radiator unless you're running 3000rpm fans or something insane.
What he has is definitely enough, I don't know why the GTX480's heat dump is overestimated like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,085 Posts
he is using a single 480, that rad is more then enough.
 

·
Village Idiot
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
The only thing I can see that you could improve is the CPU block; that D-Tek is very outdated.

What he has is definitely enough, I don't know why the GTX480's heat dump is overestimated like that.
Good call on the CPU block.

It's "enough", but there's still room for improvement and that's what he asked for. GTX 480 TDP is what? 300w? Obviously it will use less than that under normal use. 200w? 250w? Lets say its 250w while overclocked. His CPU, overclocked, is probably dumping at least 150w. Even if we say it's magically only throwing 350w into the loop while gaming.



If we assume his radiator is as good as an MCR320 (doubt that) he would still need 2300+ RPM fans for a 5C delta. Maybe he's running deltas or ultra kaze 3ks, but he didn't say. Assuming he's running more sane fans in the 1500 RPM range, there is a (slight) improvement to be had with more radiator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
Better/more radiator. The xflow isn't exactly the pinnacle of PC radiator performance and with a quad + GTX 480 dumping heat into your loop you would certainly benefit from a second radiator unless you're running 3000rpm fans or something insane.
My temps are pretty dang good. My gpu never goes over 46c while folding at 902 core and I know my CPU block could use an upgrade but I am waiting for a good deal on one and for now my d-tek is holding it's own.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,301 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
If we assume his radiator is as good as an MCR320 (doubt that) he would still need 2300+ RPM fans for a 5C delta. Maybe he's running deltas or ultra kaze 3ks, but he didn't say. Assuming he's running more sane fans in the 1500 RPM range, there is a (slight) improvement to be had with more radiator.
Why shoot for a 5*C delta, anyway? Unless you live in a seasonably cool environment, or you can direct an AC unit at the radiator, a 5*C delta isn't reasonable for a lot of us; that's why 10*C is a better measure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
Good call on the CPU block.

It's "enough", but there's still room for improvement and that's what he asked for. GTX 480 TDP is what? 300w? Obviously it will use less than that under normal use. 200w? 250w? Lets say its 250w while overclocked. His CPU, overclocked, is probably dumping at least 150w. Even if we say it's magically only throwing 350w into the loop while gaming.



If we assume his radiator is as good as an MCR320 (doubt that) he would still need 2300+ RPM fans for a 5C delta. Maybe he's running deltas or ultra kaze 3ks, but he didn't say. Assuming he's running more sane fans in the 1500 RPM range, there is a (slight) improvement to be had with more radiator.
Thanks for the suggestion and yes I have more sane fans. Not sure on the spec but definitely sane. I will give rep to all soon. I am updating from my Iphone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,845 Posts
I will reccomend getting 5x45 degree fittings to go on upper left rad output, both cpu inlet/outlet, and both gpu inlet/outlet. Lose that 90 as they hurt flow. you will have nice short, strait tubes going from rad to cpu to gpu. your gpu-res will have a slight bend in the tubing, but the 45 will flow better than the 90.

Personally, i think your tubing would look better without the black coils on the tubing, but thats my opinion. Also, maybe you could hide your pump in the hdd compartment or something? you could put your ssd lots of places, (like on top od your dvd drive, then you'd just have your raid (2?) it would be nice if you could hide your pump and the 2 lines going to (and from) it.

-bob808
 

·
Village Idiot
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
Why shoot for a 5*C delta, anyway? Unless you live in a seasonably cool environment, or you can direct an AC unit at the radiator, a 5*C delta isn't reasonable for a lot of us; that's why 10*C is a better measure.
Why not? He asked how he could improve his setup. A lower water delta would be an improvement. And what does a seasonably cool climate have to do with it? a 5C delta is a 5C delta whether your computer is in a freezer or the middle of the desert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,085 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by xxlawman87xx
View Post

Just how much do 90 degree fitting degrade the flow? Is it really that significant when compared to 45's or even the additional water lifting that is required by using a straight fitting as opposed to an angled fitting?

it's hard to say, when people were saying 90 degree fittings were decreasing flow it was because most of them were the kind you'd buy at a hardware store. lately, i've been reading around and some people have said 90s made by water cooling companies don't have that drastic of a decrease in flow as some used to.
 

·
Village Idiot
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Martin's testing/spread sheet showed ~0.1GPM for a hardware store style 90* and about half that for one of the fancy Dangerden ones. How many do you have? Looks like two in the picture? Removing them will improve flow, but you won't see a temp difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
Martin's testing/spread sheet showed ~0.1GPM for a hardware store style 90* and about half that for one of the fancy Dangerden ones. How many do you have? Looks like two in the picture? Removing them will improve flow, but you won't see a temp difference.
I have the koolance ones. I have one on the pressurized side of the loop coming off the graphics card. The other one is on the intake side of the ek block coming from the res.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top