Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I would say that is a good system for your Mom & Dad.Is there any other price you are looking at?

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
That deal is insane!

Get it for sure.

Wish they had a deal like that in England would be all over it

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Do you think this rig is equipped with those 4gb sticks because there was no other way to sell them? no reason for this rig to have 8gb RAM. I never feel good when they do not even care to name the power supply. I do have a AMD 720 and it is a great cool running cpu. See if you can get 2gb sticks and then see if you even need more than 4gb. I do not know how this board responds to memory block allocation but I like a board that takes 3x 2gb sticks, and likes it.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Look harder. That deal is actually terrible as are all tigerdirect combo deals. Really low quality parts and I'm usually always able to configure something better for same price.
First of all a no-name power supply, generic RAM, no full HD media acceleration, a redundantly large amount of RAM (that ~80% of people won't ever use, I happen to use 8GB due to the tasks I do on my machine)... okay I won't even continue from there.

I would take Badwrench's build above, that's actually a build suggestion I made in another thread recently (I don't mind you using it
).

If you have the extra cash I highly recommend pursuing an AMD Llano based build for the sake of expandability, more GPU power, and lower power consumption:
AMD A6 3650/HD 6530D + Gigabyte A75M-S2V - $195 + $3 shipping
2x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3-1600 - $34 shipped after promo [see link]
Seagate 500GB HDD + Sony 24X DVD - $52.50 shipped both
Pixxo small form factor case and PSU - $28 + $11 shipping [Meritline]
Quad core and AMD Radeon HD 6530D graphics: $323.50 shipped
Tiny but powerful

I'm also going to put this up since I really hate those Tigerdirect combo ripoffs and I want to make sure they are always put to shame... (for several reasons though incl. too much RAM that likely won't be used and slow hard drive I don't recommend actually pursuing this)
AMD Phenom II x3 720 + Basic cooler - $80 shipped both
ASRock 880G motherboard - $45 shipped (open box)
Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - $65, $40 AR [buy.com]
Seagate LP 1.5TB HDD + Samsung DVD drive - $77 shipped both
Pixxo small form factor case and PSU - $28 + shipping [Meritline]
NEWCUSTOMER10 code - $10 off
Total cost: $285 plus shipping before rebates; $260 plus shipping after rebates
400Mhz faster AMD Phenom II x3 plus 880G chipset with full HD media acceleration and better AM3 proecssor support, 8GB of DDR3-1600, 1.5TB HDD space and small form factor for about the SAME price/BETTER price before rebates; yeah never buy these DIY combo deals >_>
If media playback is not important grab this cheap motherboard instead and enjoy even lower price while still getting better performance & parts quality

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHeadbang
View Post

How much is your budget, because here is a $480 newegg combo using a a8-3850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.689111

And I just put together a really big post about how supercombos like this are bad.... (though thanks to the power of ctrl + c & ctrl + v it only took a few minutes

AMD A8 3850/Biostar TA75M+ - $220 + shipping
2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 - $60 shipped after promo [see link]
Samsung F3 1TB + DVD drive - $70 shipped (scroll down to see deal) [superbiiz]
Coolermaster Elite 310 + 460W PSU - $50 + shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - $80 shipped after promo [see link]
$480 + shipping

Matched, and it took less than 5 minutes. Parts quality is exceeding all around.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;14252251
Look harder. That deal is actually terrible as are all tigerdirect combo deals. Really low quality parts and I'm usually always able to configure something better for same price.
First of all a no-name power supply, generic RAM, no full HD media acceleration, a redundantly large amount of RAM (that ~80% of people won't ever use, I happen to use 8GB due to the tasks I do on my machine)... okay I won't even continue from there.

I would take Badwrench's build above, that's actually a build suggestion I made in another thread recently (I don't mind you using it
smile.gif
).

If you have the extra cash I highly recommend pursuing an AMD Llano based build for the sake of expandability, more GPU power, and lower power consumption:
AMD A6 3650/HD 6530D + Gigabyte A75M-S2V - $195 + $3 shipping
2x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3-1600 - $34 shipped after promo [see link]
Seagate 500GB HDD + Sony 24X DVD - $52.50 shipped both
Pixxo small form factor case and PSU - $28 + $11 shipping [Meritline]
Quad core and AMD Radeon HD 6530D graphics: $323.50 shipped
Tiny but powerful

I'm also going to put this up since I really hate those Tigerdirect combo ripoffs and I want to make sure they are always put to shame... (for several reasons though incl. too much RAM that likely won't be used and slow hard drive I don't recommend actually pursuing this)
AMD Phenom II x3 720 + Basic cooler - $80 shipped both
ASRock 880G motherboard - $45 shipped (open box)
Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - $65, $40 AR [buy.com]
Seagate LP 1.5TB HDD + Samsung DVD drive - $77 shipped both
Pixxo small form factor case and PSU - $28 + shipping [Meritline]
NEWCUSTOMER10 code - $10 off
Total cost: $285 plus shipping before rebates; $260 plus shipping after rebates
400Mhz faster AMD Phenom II x3 plus 880G chipset with full HD media acceleration and better AM3 proecssor support, 8GB of DDR3-1600, 1.5TB HDD space and small form factor for about the SAME price/BETTER price before rebates; yeah never buy these DIY combo deals >_>
If media playback is not important grab this cheap motherboard instead and enjoy even lower price while still getting better performance & parts quality
Yeah, your build. I was in a hurry and didn't even change the font. I have to admit, great build.
cheers.gif

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome builds, i would like to keep that in mind, last night they had me clean the gunk out of her old computer cause she was claiming its too slow for her now(they both have their own ipad
kookoo.gif
) anyways ill see what i can do, because im trying to convince them not to buy a prebuild piece of **** deal.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i went searching, and i have an old gutted case sitting around from my very first build. so now im just looking for a psu for the PII 925/ Biostar Build mentioned above

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Urg, Enermax is one of those brands ive never even heard of, and with that low power build do i really need that much extra power? Besides its for my parents. it isnt really going to expand. Ever
kookoo.gif

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oozypunk;14256933
Urg, Enermax is one of those brands ive never even heard of, and with that low power build do i really need that much extra power? Besides its for my parents. it isnt really going to expand. Ever
kookoo.gif
I've used Enermax in the past for builds without issue, they're not cheapo. You make a good point, it is overkill if they don't plan on upgrading.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151085

That better?

·
Beyond
4,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oozypunk;14256722
Well i went searching, and i have an old gutted case sitting around from my very first build. so now im just looking for a psu for the PII 925/ Biostar Build mentioned above
One of Newegg's shellshocker deals is an Antec Neo Eco 520W for $34.99 (starts at 10AM PST). I'd go for that because it's a very high quality power supply and it's a steal at that price. They are actually made by Seasonic and rebranded as an Antec. Seasonic is one of the highest quality and most respected power supply manufacturers out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oozypunk;14256933
kookoo.gif
Enermax is actually a very well established maker of high quality PC parts. They make computer cases, power supplies, and case fans. Maybe other things too but those are the things I know they do make. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a product from them.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Whatever the case, this PSU would be so much better for the same price as the Enermax (lower actually, shipping is free)

·
PC Gamer
3,909 Posts
Here's some parts i put together, the mobo has onboard gfx, and providing that you use XP, the system will run great.
2z59eu8.jpg

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Phsyco, ive had enough with ddr2 builds =[ they want the newer ram type
And the Antec looks pretty good. Nvm, the antec is sold out. Looks like ill be trusting and go for the enermax

Sorry ive been gone so long. had some stuff to get done then had a short mangasm as my force 3 ssd got here and 8gigs of ddr3 1600 Cl8, but newegg is sucking on me, my motherboard that goes with it won't be here till tomorrow, then the cables the day after that. Fail shipping order.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts