Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother is starting up a small business and I would like to buy her a work computer. She prefers to have a laptop but I don't know much about laptops or netbooks.
I found the following format stickied in the Laptop and Netbook forum
thumb.gif

What is your maximum budget? $200 USD

What country are you in? U.S.A.

What will be the uses of this laptop? Web Browsing and Microsoft Office only (Outlook and Excel)

Do you have brand loyalty or care which brands we select for you? No

What screen size do you require? 15" minimum

What screen resolution do you require? 1366 x 768 I guess? Something easy to look at all day.

Are you looking to buy NEW or would refurbished/recertified/used be okay? New preferably, but not completely apposed to other options.

How long should the battery last? (Under optimal conditions, no movies/games/heavy internet) Not sure

What games would you like to play with your laptop? And on what settings? None

What operating system do you need? (if any) Windows 7, 8.1 or 10

Is there a certain style of laptop you want? (aluminum, black, gaming, etc.) No

How much hard drive space do you need? 500GB+

Do you need any special hardware? (blue ray, webcam, specialty ports, etc.) No

I found this laptop on sale for $199, what do you think about it? Will this suffice for what it will be used for?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-chocolate-black/4831400.p?id=bb4831400&skuId=4831400#

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
360 Posts
It has to be Windows? It's a shame you can't get a Chromebook (or install something like Linux Mint on a laptop for her). Sure, there are laptops running Windows in your price range, but their performance running Windows will leave much to be desired. Would you consider purchasing a second hand laptop instead?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigil View Post

It has to be Windows? It's a shame you can't get a Chromebook (or install something like Linux Mint on a laptop for her). Sure, there are laptops running Windows in your price range, but their performance running Windows will leave much to be desired. Would you consider purchasing a second hand laptop instead?
Thanks for the reply! I ended up buying this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319797

So far it's been a great little computer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Glad to hear it. Looks like a better CPU than the previous one. If she doesn't need a lot of space, it might be worth upgrading to a cheap 128GB SSD at some point. Up to you of course.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigil View Post

Glad to hear it. Looks like a better CPU than the previous one. If she doesn't need a lot of space, it might be worth upgrading to a cheap 128GB SSD at some point. Up to you of course.
I second this. Sounds like she doesn't need much storage at all, so just get a cheap $30 new 128gb ssd, pop it in, she will love it way more, everything will be snappier and load dramatically faster.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,289 Posts
I really wish you'd given us a budget more like the one you ended up spending to get the laptop. That machine is nearly DOUBLE what you claimed you wanted to pay.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i know it, but I didn't get any replies and I found the one I ended up buying on sale. I paid $280 for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts