Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The majority of the threads within the laptop section are threads asking about which laptop to buy. Most of those threads do not contain enough information within the original post. This thread is meant to clean up the amount of questions people have to ask to help you and deliver you a more timely response.

Please copy and paste the formatted questions below with your answers in your own thread:
Quote:
What is your maximum budget?

What country are you in?

What will be the uses of this laptop?

Do you have brand loyalty or care which brands we select for you?

What screen size do you require?

What screen resolution do you require?

Are you looking to buy NEW or would refurbished/recertified/used be okay?

How long should the battery last? (Under optimal conditions, no movies/games/heavy internet)

What games would you like to play with your laptop? And on what settings?

What operating system do you need? (if any)

Is there a certain style of laptop you want? (aluminum, black, gaming, etc.)

How much hard drive space do you need?

Do you need any special hardware? (blue ray, webcam, specialty ports, etc.)

Is there anything else we need to know?

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Hey; can we add this to the already stickied thread? I might change the name since apparently "read" is a scary word that people don't like.

EDIT: Never mind. That was fast to getting your own. Hopefully people read this. Nothing's worse than trying to help someone and having them disregard what you're telling them because "its not the appearance/brand I want".

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337;12930159
Hey; can we add this to the already stickied thread? I might change the name since apparently "read" is a scary word that people don't like.

EDIT: Never mind. That was fast to getting your own. Hopefully people read this. Nothing's worse than trying to help someone and having them disregard what you're telling them because "its not the appearance/brand I want".
Yeah I requested it be stickied, as I try my best to help people but it's difficult when they dont supply enough information to help them select a laptop; even some staff are guilty of this. I feel like those who help out shouldnt have to ask 20 questions to help out someone else, and having a system in place will allow 'us' to reply to more help threads and provide more suggestions without struggling to figure out what the user wants.

Btw I kinda felt this needed its own sticky as your thread is more of a 'I want to research about laptops myself' while this is more for those who want suggestions given to them, and to be honest no one likes reading long threads.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-x;12930406
Yeah I requested it be stickied, as I try my best to help people but it's difficult when they dont supply enough information to help them select a laptop; even some staff are guilty of this. I feel like those who help out shouldnt have to ask 20 questions to help out someone else, and having a system in place will allow 'us' to reply to more help threads and provide more suggestions without struggling to figure out what the user wants.

Btw I kinda felt this needed its own sticky as your thread is more of a 'I want to research about laptops myself' while this is more for those who want suggestions given to them, and to be honest no one likes reading long threads.
frown.gif

I hear you. No one likes to empower themselves.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-x;12987919
I quit, people ask for help and they dont even take the time to check the stickies first =.=
LOL. Hang in there bud. I know the feeling.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don't worry, I'll probably be buying a laptop in the next couple months, and I'll be sure to use this format when I do ask.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before you go out and buy that new laptop you promised yourself, be sure to first read this article by Kim Major. It is actually a series of 3 blog posts, that run through his considerations and conclusions before replacing his existing Thinkpad.

·
Banned
4,324 Posts
United States

$500 Max. Can't go any higher. No gaming, purely for school and work. No brand preference (just no Gateway). 16" screen max. USB 3.0 if possible. 4 Hours and more if possible.

Blu ray would be nice but its not by any means a deal breaker. Btw is it easy to swap out drives. My old laptop had a blu ray player.

Disk space 250GB is more than enough. 4GB ram

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 View Post

United States

$500 Max. Can't go any higher. No gaming, purely for school and work. No brand preference (just no Gateway). 16" screen max. USB 3.0 if possible. 4 Hours and more if possible.

Blu ray would be nice but its not by any means a deal breaker. Btw is it easy to swap out drives. My old laptop had a blu ray player.

Disk space 250GB is more than enough. 4GB ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312518

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230922

It's abit hard too find bluray capabilities in a sub $500 laptop. Swapping out drives is dead easy your problem would be that your copy of Windows comes as an OEM copy that's tied to specific hardware(not entirely sure about this) and different laptop DVD/BD drives have different dimensions.

·
OverLimit
2 Posts
$1350

What country are you in?
Canada

Gaming, watching streams, and surfing.

No.

15-17 inches.

1980x1080 is a must.

Looking for new, or unless the refurbished/recertified/used are very close to new and have no damages.

How long should the battery last? (Under optimal conditions, no movies/games/heavy internet)
Around 2-3 hours should be fine.

League of legends on high settings, maybe some cod and cs:go on medium-high settings if possible, but mostly just exclusively League of legends.

Windows 7 or 8 are both fine.

Nope.

Does not matter to me.

No.

Is there anything else we need to know? I only see laptop with LCD screens, are there any laptop out there with LED screens?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You should add a "How much wight should the laptop be" or something along that line to help narrow things down more

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
What is your maximum budget? $650

What country are you in? USA

What will be the uses of this laptop? School work, browsing, some light gaming

Do you have brand loyalty or care which brands we select for you? Preferably a Lenovo

What screen size do you require? As big as my budget can handle

What screen resolution do you require? Same as before

Are you looking to buy NEW or would refurbished/recertified/used be okay? New is preferable.

How long should the battery last? (Under optimal conditions, no movies/games/heavy internet) 4-6 hours is good

What games would you like to play with your laptop? And on what settings? Football Manager, mark of the ninja. All the light games

What operating system do you need? (if any) Nada

Is there a certain style of laptop you want? (aluminum, black, gaming, etc.) As plain as possible.

How much hard drive space do you need? 500GB+ of HDD. Would like 7200RPM, but can do with 5400

Do you need any special hardware? (blue ray, webcam, specialty ports, etc.) Nope

Is there anything else we need to know? Nope

Thanks friends

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is your maximum budget? A good budget would be 1200$ but I would need to check with my cousin who I am shopping for in her stead.

What country are you in? - United States

What will be the uses of this laptop? - Heavy Multimedia use with emphasis on superb sound quality. Also with Photoshop and video editing for business purposes.

Do you have brand loyalty or care which brands we select for you? Any brand as long as it is good and won't break down in five years plus.

What screen size do you require? Big as can be

What screen resolution do you require? 1980X1080

Are you looking to buy NEW or would refurbished/recertified/used be okay? Laptop will be new!
biggrin.gif

How long should the battery last? (Under optimal conditions, no movies/games/heavy internet) 6 hours +

What games would you like to play with your laptop? And on what settings? Laptop will not be used for heavy gaming although there will be simple little games to pass the time, nothing hardcore.

What operating system do you need? (if any) Don't care

Is there a certain style of laptop you want? (aluminum, black, gaming, etc.) No style preference

How much hard drive space do you need? As much as I can get

Do you need any special hardware? (blue ray, webcam, specialty ports, etc.) Good sound card for the sound quality and be able to burn cd's.

Is there anything else we need to know? Budget may change but will get back to you guys. I appreciate the help I will get as I do not know much about laptops. Thank you!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
36 Posts

1600€

What country are you in?

Germany

Office, internet, photoshop and (but not neccesary) games

definitly not acer or similiar crappy qualitay (had 2 acers before)

not larger than 15"

1080p is enough

everything that still has 2 years+ guarantee will be fine

8 hours+

gaming is absolutly not important. if i play, then heroes of might and magic 6 on medium or sonic racing. but actually, i don't care if I can play video games or not.

i'm goint to install windows 7 myself (or maybe windows 8 if it'll have a touchscreen)

ultrabook, touchscreen preferred

ssd with 256gb+ and a hdd with at least 500gb

no

Is there anything else we need to know?

I am currently thinking about dell xps 13 i7 or the lenovo carbon x1
buuild quality is very important for me

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,395 Posts
I think people need to read the first post again....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts