Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll, I've decided to put my Kingston 64GB in my laptop, and buy a new one for my desktop. This time around, I'm only going to buy a ~30GB SSD, because that's all I truly need.

I've been looking at the Corsair F40. It's Sandforce, Only $120, 40GB instead of 30GB. I don't think it gets much better for the price. am I right?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
There is a 120GB Vertex 2 for $190 at Newegg. While bigger..... it's only $190!!!

Nevermind... Canadian. HA!

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
There is a 120GB Vertex 2 for $190 at Newegg. While bigger..... it's only $190!!!

Nevermind... Canadian. HA!
It's like $210 on NewEgg.ca But I really don't need the space. Right now I'm only using 22GB on my SSD.

• Rep+
Reactions: ACHILEE5

·
OG AMD
8,885 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
This is perfect-
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G

Super fast,perfect size and a great price!
Hmm, I'll think about it. I reallly, realllly hate MIR's.

·
OG AMD
8,885 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane1244 View Post
It's like $210 on NewEgg.ca But I really don't need the space. Right now I'm only using 22GB on my SSD.
Interesting. I think just windows 7 by itself uses that much space.

I just added a second 100GB SSD, runing RAID-0 now, and I'm loving it and I actually have room for more apps/games now

My 100GB SSD had gone down to 9 Gigs of available space only

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by saulin View Post
I just added a second 100GB SSD, running RAID-0 now, and I'm loving it and I actually have room for more apps/games now

Windows 7 Ultimate and all my Apps only come to 21.7GB

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I think I'm down to 160GB with just Windows 7 and some apps. I still got some more apps to install, no games installed yet. But My RAID is read as 189 Gigs. My 100 gig SSD was read as 93GB before and I got it down to 9 gigs with my apps and 6 games I believe. Performance started to hurt.

BTW why do people say there is no trim support for RAID-0?

I seem to have trim enabled. Is it only in older SSDs?

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by saulin
View Post

I just added a second 100GB SSD, runing RAID-0 now, and I'm loving it and I actually have room for more apps/games now

My Windows install is 12.6Gb. The other 10GB Is just Apps. There's about 50 apps on it. Only two big ones, Photoshop and After Effects.

Putting games on a SSD is a waste of money. All my games launch fast enough, but I could always set up a HDD Raid, and it'd be just as fast loading games as a midrange SSD.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane1244
View Post

My Windows install is 12.6Gb. The other 10GB Is just Apps. There's about 50 apps on it. Only two big ones, Photoshop and After Effects.

Putting games on a SSD is a waste of money. All my games launch fast enough, but I could always set up a HDD Raid, and it'd be just as fast loading games as a midrange SSD.

Really? How is your OS install so small? here is my work workstation with not many apps and we store everything on the server, using 38Gigs

I disagree. If you are going to have SSD, you might as well, have all your programs and games in it. Plus installing games on SSD is much faster

Of course I have a 2TB Sata III HD for storage at home which BTW is also a pretty fast drive

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not much faster at all. I've tried it. Not worth paying the extra money for. Unless you have the extra money to throw at it, The money can be put to much better use elsewhere.

I've had the OS installed for about 3 months.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane1244 View Post
It's not much faster at all. I've tried it. Not worth paying the extra money for. Unless you have the extra money to throw at it, The money can be put to much better use elsewhere.

I've had the OS installed for about 3 months.

Here is mine. OS installed 2 days ago. These are all my apps installed. Office 2010 is the biggest app installed. No games whatsoever. All OS and Office Updates done, ran CCleaner so temp files and folders should be empty.

Again how did you get your install to be so small? BTW I have Windows 7 Ultimate.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have Windows 7 Ultimate, I've moved my USER folders to my HDD. I turned off System Restore, and that's it.

Here's all the apps I have installed:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Initially I bought my 2 Vertex 30 GB SSDs for a RAID setup but after comparing the speed of in-game play, I didn't notice any significant advantages except for slightly faster game load. Plus some older games don't like Windows 7 64 bit. Currently I have one SSD for Windows 7 64 bit with all the applications I use on a daily bases, and if I suddenly have an itch to play games I dual boot into Windows 7 32 bit on the second SSD. I have the games installed on a normal hard drive to save space on my SSDs. With the page file on my SSDs, I normally have an additional 5-7 GBs free.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolander
View Post

Initially I bought my 2 Vertex 30 GB SSDs for a RAID setup but after comparing the speed of in-game play, I didn't notice any significant advantages except for slightly faster game load. Plus some older games don't like Windows 7 64 bit. Currently I have one SSD for Windows 7 64 bit with all the applications I use on a daily bases, and if I suddenly have an itch to play games I dual boot into Windows 7 32 bit on the second SSD. I have the games installed on a normal hard drive to save space on my SSDs. With the page file on my SSDs, I normally have an additional 5-7 GBs free.

Yeah in game there will be no difference, Loading a game, maybe like 10-20% faster depending on the game.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to go with the OCZ Agility 2 40GB for $94. ($115 before MIR)

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by saulin View Post
Here is mine. OS installed 2 days ago. These are all my apps installed. Office 2010 is the biggest app installed. No games whatsoever. All OS and Office Updates done, ran CCleaner so temp files and folders should be empty.

Again how did you get your install to be so small? BTW I have Windows 7 Ultimate.
Well he right-clicked the Windows folder.

You right-clicked the drive.

Sadly neither method is really 100% accurate.

Windows Explorer doesn't know how to treat hard-links so right-clicking the Windows folder doesn't even take 12.7 GB if you look at the amount of hard-linked files in WinSxS folder.

Anyway since it's hard to measure we'll just call it about 10GB (maybe 11 after you update it)

the rest of "windows" is:
1. PAGE FILE: C:\\pagefile.sys -- a large file usually large even then your memory size by default... can be reduced on most systems, mine is at 1000MB
2. Hibernation file: C:\\hiberfile.sys -- another large file used for hibernating the system, can be disabled if you don't use hibernation.
3. System restore -- C:\\System Volume Information -- can be disabled if you backup your system regularly... which you should anyway
4. C:\\ProgramData -- can become significant if your machine has larger apps installed with a lot of parts.
5. C:\\Program Files and C:\\Program Files (x86)... even on a fresh install these still contain data...

So you can see right-clicking Windows folder doesn't count all those bits.. and doesn't even count the Windows folder itself accurately...

So right-clicking the drive is a better way of measuring the "whole system" but as soon as you've installed some apps you're measuring those as well

And of course your user profile stuff.

I was considering writing a script that measures the size of Windows folder only not including hard links... but it's a harder task then it appears at first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts