Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my current mic and on board sound cause static in recorded videos so im seeking a solution

would you....

- recommend a new mic?
- a sound card?
- both?

preciate the help

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
I recommend a decent sound card because onboard audio isn't shielded.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I recommend a decent sound card because onboard audio isn't shielded.
ok but what sound card?

edit- this is new to me so i just wana make sure i get it right

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post

ok but what sound card?
How much can you spend, and where would you be able to order from?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

How much can you spend, and where would you be able to order from?
im in the US, i have 120 to spend or i WANT to not spend more then that if i can. what i dont get is why friends dont have static but i guess it is what it is

·
Registered
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexo View Post

Try getting the Blue snowball mic.
I agree, a USB condenser mic would give you the best recording quality without the hassle and expense of a new soundcard. I also get static sounds from using my internal and/or my external usb soundcard. I get absolutely no static using my usb mic.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:

im in the US, i have 120 to spend or i WANT to not spend more then that if i can. what i dont get is why friends dont have static but i guess it is what it is
Do they have sound cards, or onboard audio?

What mics are they using?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
If possible I'd recommenced that you record the mic audio separately and at the start or end of each recording, just record a bit of silence. This will give you a small sample of any constant background noise/static.

You can then use an audio program (I use audacity) to remove that section of background noise from the rest of the video.
If you want instructions for step by step (these would be for audacity):
  1. Highlight the small section of 'silent' audio you recorded at the beginning or end.
  2. At the menus along the top, go to Effect -> Noise Removal and click Get Profile. This will Adjust settings automatically for the actual noise removal.
  3. Use Ctrl + A to select all the audio and again, go to Effect and again, Noise Removal but now you click Remove Noise.
For other programs, use Google.
tongue.gif

After that, you just merge the mic audio back into the video audio with an editor.

If recording the mic audio separately is not possible/you don't want to have to re-sync the audio together (really it's not that hard), you could also record it all together but any sounds from the actual recorded video audio would have to be stopped to record a good section for the noise removal from the mic.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Do they have sound cards, or onboard audio?

What mics are they using?
see i dont think they even know what mic they have. just random headset mics with onboard sound

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ_MAN_432 View Post

If possible I'd recommenced that you record the mic audio separately and at the start or end of each recording, just record a bit of silence. This will give you a small sample of any constant background noise/static.

You can then use an audio program (I use audacity) to remove that section of background noise from the rest of the video.
If you want instructions for step by step (these would be for audacity):
  1. Highlight the small section of 'silent' audio you recorded at the beginning or end.
  2. At the menus along the top, go to Effect -> Noise Removal and click Get Profile. This will Adjust settings automatically for the actual noise removal.
  3. Use Ctrl + A to select all the audio and again, go to Effect and again, Noise Removal but now you click Remove Noise.
After that, you just merge the mic audio back into the video audio with an editor.

If recording the mic audio separately is not possible/you don't want to have to re-sync the audio together (really it's not that hard), you could also record it all together but any sounds from the actual recorded video audio would have to be stopped to record a good section for the noise removal.
what im recording doesnt allow me to do a sep recording

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Quote:

what im recording doesnt allow me to do a sep recording
At the bottom of my post:
Quote:

If recording the mic audio separately is not possible/you don't want to have to re-sync the audio together (really it's not that hard), you could also record it all together but any sounds from the actual recorded video audio would have to be stopped to record a good section for the noise removal from the mic.
You could also just zoom into the audio and try to get a good sample of background noise and remove it that way.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
He's getting static, not background noise.

eosgreen: are you using your front panel mic connection? That can be a culprit due to a cable that's not shielded, or poorly shielded.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

At the bottom of my post:
You could also just zoom into the audio and try to get a good sample of background noise and remove it that way.
i kinda want a better mic for the added bonus of friends not listening to static on skype or whatveer

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:

i kinda want a better mic for the added bonus of friends not listening to static on skype or whatveer
I think he's talking about removing background noise, but you're getting static.

So, are you using your front panel mic connection? That can be a culprit due to a cable that's not shielded, or poorly shielded.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

I think he's talking about removing background noise, but you're getting static.

So, are you using your front panel mic connection? That can be a culprit due to a cable that's not shielded, or poorly shielded.
no its plugged into the back

maybe the zalman mics are just sometimes like this idn. as to the USB mic recommendations does that seem like a reasonable solution?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:

maybe the zalman mics are just sometimes like this idn. as to the USB mic recommendations does that seem like a reasonable solution?
That's a little too far out of my league for me to really know. :/

·
Registered
468 Posts
The Blue Snowball USB mic is a good idea or any good quality USB mic. Windows will recognise it as a soundcard and from software you are using, you can just select it as an input.

USB mics are good as the anologue to digital processing is all done via the microphone, so it can eliminate interference that is normally picked up using lower quality internal sound cards.

I found this guide that may be useful: -

http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/guide/usb-microphones-for-voice

Just remember if you are looking to get a USB mic and particularly a condenser mic, you will need a pop filter which are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:

A low quality clip on mic will give you no end to the problems.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so the snowball picks up my keyboard (bought one to try it out at best buy.

are there, and i hope im saying this right, uni-directional mics like this?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts