Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running this quad setup for a couple years now, been 100% satisfied through and through. Never once experienced the problems with microstuttering and frame drops like many did.

Any CURRENT or PAST quad SLI users have a more updated setup beyond the 295 cards that's been stable? I have 4 GTX480s im tempted to try out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
you want to run 4 480 in sli? :O talk about power bill
biggrin.gif

you never had sli issues? i ran sli on bf4 launch, had massive stutter in ultra setting while the fps where good. had to play in high setting, but down the road first now i max that game with those 2 cards...

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH View Post

Wattage is not a question, to clarify.
While wattage may not be an issue, that heat though.
Honestly, if I were to go beyond a dual card setup, I would probably add in more 970s, the price for them seems great, plus plenty of power.
I have thought about adding in a third one.

·
What should be here ?
5,725 Posts
What power supply do you have ? SLI'ing 2 gen old cards would be a massive sink of effort (since you already have them) as current and new games seldom have a working profile for 2 cards let alone 4. Can you sell those locally ? On ebay ? Why do you want to put 4 of them in your system if you don't mind me asking?

·
Ultra wide wide wide.....
5,277 Posts
If four GTX 480s scale perfectly, they will still be slower than a GTX 980 Ti. In short, bad idea.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

If four GTX 480s scale perfectly, they will still be slower than a GTX 980 Ti. In short, bad idea.
Wouldn't four 480s be about the equivalent of a single 970, in theory?
But, if he already has them, he may as well do it, let us know how it works out, I am curious about it. I know two cards is the sweet spot for gains, with a third more or less tightening up the gap in min and max fps, and four having very diminished returns.
But again, since he said he has the cards, might as well.
Heck, I threw a gtx 275 in with sli 670 ftws as a physx card just to see if it made any difference at one point.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Biggest problem with the 480 is the vram. In most games you will hit the 1.5gb barrier quickly at high settings/resolutions. For the fun of it, do it, other than that, almost anything else would be better.

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

What power supply do you have ? SLI'ing 2 gen old cards would be a massive sink of effort (since you already have them) as current and new games seldom have a working profile for 2 cards let alone 4. Can you sell those locally ? On ebay ? Why do you want to put 4 of them in your system if you don't mind me asking?

Because I want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Not looking for modern generation performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post

Biggest problem with the 480 is the vram. In most games you will hit the 1.5gb barrier quickly at high settings/resolutions. For the fun of it, do it, other than that, almost anything else would be better.
Not gaming on anything above 1080P.

In short, I love seeing those 4 utilization meters @ 95-98%. I like having 4 cores. If you have to ask why, you dont understand. ALL im looking for is people who have run these previous gen cards in multi (3/4) card setups for extended periods of time.

·
What should be here ?
5,725 Posts
What PSU do you have running though ?

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

What PSU do you have running though ?
Some goofy corsair 750w.
I'm also looking into jumping up to a 1200w. the 750w barely cuts it with this system.

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Quote:
Wouldn't four 480s be about the equivalent of a single 970, in theory?
If the FPS is the same, then technically yes "in theory". In practice, your GPU frametime is 4x longer. You'd have an input lag of like 80 milliseconds (at 60fps) while somebody with a single GPU system can play with 30 milliseconds of lag in a similar situation.

Quad-SLI isn't putting four GPU's to share work on the same frame. It's telling four 480's to take this game that they can't handle it at all and render it at 15fps, but don't worry because we have three more rendering at 15fps as well on a time delay. The smoothness is mostly there, but the latency is that of someone playing the game at 15fps.
Quote:
In most games you will hit the 1.5gb barrier quickly at high settings/resolutions.
Quote:
Not gaming on anything above 1080P.
You can actually exceed ~3.5GB on a lot of games now @1080p, but lower settings usually allows you to play with ~1.5GB

Quote:
In short, I love seeing those 4 utilization meters @ 95-98%. I like having 4 cores. If you have to ask why, you dont understand.
I can understand wanting to have meters like that but maybe you don't fully understand the performance downsides of it. I'd like to show you a side-by-side w/ a single faster GPU & 144hz monitor but that is also pretty hard to do

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

I can understand wanting to have meters like that but maybe you don't fully understand the performance downsides of it. I'd like to show you a side-by-side w/ a single faster GPU & 144hz monitor but that is also pretty hard to do
I perfectly understand input lag.
The difference it im not gaming @ 4K or 1440 like many do today. The monitor refresh is @ 60hz and the GPUs can render between 240-300FPS in the games I play. Any input lag or response time is largely due to the refresh rate of the monitor (actually a crappy Funai TV) and not the inherent disadvantage of SLI.

I'm looking to move up because largely for the DX11 capabilities these 295's dont have fully enabled. These ES cards have some DX11 functionality but arent fully supported.

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,619 Posts
OP, quit entertaining the naysayers and go for it. There are people who just don't understand the satisfaction to be gained from multiple GPU setups. If you have the motherboard to hold 4 GTX 480s then you shouldn't have a problem as long as you upgrade your PSU.

·
Expert pin bender
2,245 Posts
I ran quad 480s quite a ways back. I had to use 2 psus. It was fun but i didn't keep it long because i am bad about upgrading. It definitely was hot and noisy. I cant really give any recommendation on it. I honestly dont see it being viable on today's games.

They would be a nice upgrade from 295 gtx as i also had those as well. If you can though i would say look for 580 series gtx with 3gb vram even if the price is good. 480gtx was a cut down version of 580gtx and it took more heat and power. I personally skipped 500 series while on my 480 gtx quad, also ran 3 way 480s and 3 way 470s. I ended up at the time with a ton of 400 gtx series because people went crazy about power and heat

·
Registered
329 Posts
why dont you just buy a single 970 ? if the games are so old, what the point even doing 4 way sli to play some old games?

i mean 1 970 would not even make noice, & it would better

·
Expert pin bender
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetoor85 View Post

why dont you just buy a single 970 ? if the games are so old, what the point even doing 4 way sli to play some old games?

i mean 1 970 would not even make noice, & it would better
Running quad gpus is an addiction for me, yeah it may be pointless or stupid for others. I have been running quad or tri gpus for years. If i really must play something that sli/cf doesn't work then you still have a single gpu you can use. As someone who runs quad setups i dont care about power or heat or noise. I will never be convinced to run a single gpu because when that time comes i will find a new hobby. Its hard to explain but when a friend comes over and see my quad setup they are impressed. Try doing that with a single gpu, unless its on ln2 they wont even notice. Its like a muscle car kind of, it may have loads of power and be slower than todays sports cars. I personally would take an old noisy hotrod over todays plastic looking sports cars.

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post

Running quad gpus is an addiction for me, yeah it may be pointless or stupid for others. I have been running quad or tri gpus for years. If i really must play something that sli/cf doesn't work then you still have a single gpu you can use. As someone who runs quad setups i dont care about power or heat or noise. I will never be convinced to run a single gpu because when that time comes i will find a new hobby. Its hard to explain but when a friend comes over and see my quad setup they are impressed. Try doing that with a single gpu, unless its on ln2 they wont even notice. Its like a muscle car kind of, it may have loads of power and be slower than todays sports cars. I personally would take an old noisy hotrod over todays plastic looking sports cars.
Exactly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post

iknow the drill
thumb.gif
tech is cool, sometimes things that dont make sense can be funny as hell
smile.gif
i agree!!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts